The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

New Members Thread

Home Forums Lounge New Members Thread

Viewing 17 posts - 443 through 459 (of 492 total)
  • Author
    PeterSands
    • Total Posts 3

I’m an Ozy who is simply crazy about horse racing. I am in London to see Black Caviar show her class to the world. :D

• Total Posts 433

I’m an Ozy who is simply crazy about horse racing. I am in London to see Black Caviar show her class to the world. :D

Hello and welcome. Hope you enjoy your stay and that things go well for BC. She seems a very special girl :)

• Total Posts 3

Hi, new here, 50 yr old Irishman, from and living in Dublin, just wanted to say hello and I look forward to posting and joining in the craic.

• Total Posts 433

Hello, and welcome :)

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9230

I’m delighted to let you know that we have another young racing writer joining the TRF ranks.

Emma-Louise Kerwin is going to do a weekly blog-style feature for us. A fully fledged accredited racing photographer, Emma is only 20 but has been into racing since she was young and pestered her dad into taking her along to a race meeting.

She’s posted on the forum as Emmy-K for a while now and we’re delighted to have her on board in a little bit of a more formal capacity.

These will normally appear in the Features section but here’s Emma’s first piece and I look forward to many more.

With all eyes on the Olympic opening ceremony and all of us praying that Boris Johnson doesn’t do anything too stupid, you’d almost be forgiven for forgetting about the racing. Almost, but not quite, it’s simply just too good to be forgotten about.

Most of us are looking eagerly ahead to Glorious Goodwood next week, the site of the next start of Frankel. Unsurprisingly, the lovingly nicknamed ‘freak’ is short, short, short! While I think Farhh is a decent beast, there are probably much better things that the Godolphin team could have spend £19,500 on (me, for instance). However, lest we forget, there are a grand total of 13 group races there next week and, last time I checked, Frankel won’t be running in all of them, so we can look forward to a great week of highly competitive racing and some great horses.

In the unlikely event you missed it, Famous Name managed to win his 18th race last night over in Ireland, when an odds on favourite. Hardly remarkable, especially when no favourite failed to place on the night, but everyone quite likes the 7 year old. Though there is that pesky matter of that group 1 win he doesn’t seem to manage. He once went down by a head in the Prix Du Jockey Club, but that is the closest he’s ever come. Wouldn’t it be just an all-around great story if he could just manage to notch up at least one win at the top level?

At the same Leopardstown meeting, another odds on shot won. This time it was third time lucky for a son of Henrythenavigator, Alfonso De Sousa. Entered for half the races on the two year old calendar, there is hope that he will be able to make one of the top races he’s entered for, which include the Gimcrack and the Royal Lodge, although he might presumably now have to scrap next week’s engagement in a Galway maiden.

Looking back slightly further in the past, the big meeting last weekend was at Ascot. Although there is a slightly relaxed dress code in comparison to the Royal meeting (i.e. no hats) you cannot afford to be totally off your guard. Denim, for example, should only be worn if you are prepared to accept the (considerable) risk of being told off by a four foot tall lady in a bowler hat.

Danedream won the King George, so it would be marvelous if those people who said she fluked the Arc would kindly JOG ON. For some strange reason Sea Moon, yet to register at the elite level, went off favourite and duly finished unplaced with the three podium slots occupied by those horses that came into the race with solid Group 1 credentials.

Other goings on at Ascot generally revolved around the norms. King of the two year olds, Richard Hannon, won the Winkfield with Toronado (the Guineas is apparently the long term target for that one) and Ryan Moore had a scowl on his fizzer, this time with good reason as the odds-on and worryingly disappointing Carlton House failed to place in the Summer Mile.

Group 1 action this weekend is all US based I’m afraid, but York and Ascot have a group race each, so all is not completely lost, and with 6 UK meetings I’m sure there will be plenty to be facetious about if the Olympics isn’t providing enough comedic satisfaction. Although, with the aforementioned Johnson likely to have himself somewhere in the limelight, I’m sure the world’s second greatest sporting event (after Cheltenham) won’t disappoint in that regard.

Emma-Louise Kerwin

• Total Posts 213

how rude and unnecessary boooooo and hisss to you

Blocked
    • Total Posts 1684

I remember when one could have a bit of fun on this forum. Seems so long ago now, sadly.

• Total Posts 70

I too found this comment rather insulting and hope TRF does not endorse this sort of behavior from its members.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6853

I have deleted the offending post.

Not very gracious of you Mr. Pilsen.

Regards
    :cool:

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9230

Very much depends on what your idea of fun is Mr Pilsen.

Peruvian Chief
    • Total Posts 1931

It wasn’t out of order was it? Then again, all about personal opinions as Cormack says.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 1684

I have deleted the offending post.

Not very gracious of you Mr. Pilsen.

Regards
    :cool:

You’ve had it in for me since I pulled you up about not knowing the difference between the two Alan Potts.

Sad!

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9230

For the love of God Pilsen would you grow up man.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 2064

Good luck, Emma-Louise.

I am looking forward to reading more of your articles.

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9230

Another in the Features section now TYF.

bluestu
    • Total Posts 1

Hi all, been following racing for nearly 30 yrs , like to concentrate on NH mainly, so will be keeping a low profile until it really kicks in ,unless :wink:
    Cheers
    stuart

tisgus
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5

Hi guys
    I am new in here and was hoping I could get some advice?
    I am currently trying to be a tennis trader and wanted something for the closed season. I found an old book called "Mordin on time", read it and thought the All Weather racing season would be ideal.
    I have signed up to Racing Post and, whilst I am trying to create my own speed ratings, am using their Ratings. I can create my own rating for a race winner and put it into the RP, but when it calculates the rest of the runners, does it use some sort of weight calc and can I turn this off?

As I am only looking at AW sprints (upto 1m2f) I think any weight gains or losses will be insignificant over short distances and the standard going, or is this a wrong understanding of the book?

Also, is there an easy way to get the RP Results card into an excel friendly format?

Many thanks

Gus

Viewing 17 posts - 443 through 459 (of 492 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.