The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

I’m already wishing it was October…

Home Forums Horse Racing I’m already wishing it was October…

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Professortrubshawe
    • Total Posts 505

…or at least Chester.

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

Or my honeymoon.

Professortrubshawe
    • Total Posts 505

…anything but the crappy old start to the Flat. Such a bore, such an insult to punters.

sberry
    • Total Posts 1801

Another thoroughly positive thread, just what racing needs :roll:

When did this forum cease to be a forum for racing fans and become a place for activist trolls?

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQekNQNh0G1p1AG_EYc3kFlWov_yjSELCtGfHksf75j3poWO_Hl

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

I didn’t find my honeymoon boring at all.

Miss Woodford
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1335

…anything but the crappy old start to the Flat. Such a bore, such an insult to punters.

http://www.st-publishing.com/digital/4-27-2012/
    :wink:

phil walker
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1376

sberry if you don’t like what most people say on this site, who happen to be in the majority, why are you here?

Likewise am counting down the days until the first meeting of the new jumps season at Cheltenham in October

Kenh
    Participant
    • Total Posts 739

I prefer the jumps but haven’t found this flat a bore. There have been some good horses out and some quality to come. Of course, if you do find it boring, you don’t need to watch or follow it. And why exactly is it an insult to punters ?

Coggy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1293

I have never enjoyed the start of the flat season and vowed many years ago to never bet before the Guineas meeting. As a result I am a lot better off (or is that less poor) as a result of betting. When the racing isn’t costing you money it actually becomes slightly more appealing.
    I thought that the only thing that may make all weather recing more appealing to me was that it may make early season flat form more predictable. Some hope.
    I think that the recent early season flat has been even more devalued by the extension of the season by the Breeders Cup, and therefore a tendency from some to bring their decent charges along a little slower.

CrustyPatch
    Participant
    • Total Posts 917

I much prefer the jumps (better value for viewing, with the longer races, thrills and spills) but I actually set the video for the At The Races coverage from Kempton today (rearranged from Ascot).
    Wanted to see the ATR coverage from Kempton (instead of it usually being just on Racing UK and not both) to see how it compared with the usual ATR fare. Yes, I know, I should get a life….
    I do find Flat racing much less engrossing to watch, especially if it is mundane, but I can happily watch even the lowest grade jumps meetings or Irish jumps meetings on ATR and find the spectacle of the action interesting, even if the quality of the runners is poor. Can’t really say that for the Flat.

cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8979

The return of the flat has tended to have become more and more underwhelming year on year. I think it’s a combination of factors.

Training methods and facilities have become advanced to the point that trainers no longer need to give their big race hopes an outing before their big day. All weather training surfaces, blood testing, etc, all mean it’s easier to get them fit, and to know they are fit, at home.

Also the winter flat action on the all-weather kind of blurs into the start of the turf season.

Finally, most of the good horses are either still in Dubai, Ireland or France. We don’t seem to have as many good ones.

Barring the best of them all of course.

Burroughhill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1636

I’ll happily absorb any racing, flat or jumps, but I only get EXCITED by the jumps. It’s very rare I get a lump in my throat or a tear in the eye after a flat race. I love how with NH you can follow a horse year after year, whether top grade like Kauto Star or a low grade standing dish at Ludlow.
    So yeah, I’ll still switch on ATR when I get home from work every day this summer, but I’ll echo the "roll on October" sentiment.

Ghost of Rob V
    Participant
    • Total Posts 825

I much prefer the Flat to NH.

October can wait as far as I’m concerned.

Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 28423

…or at least Chester.

Four words! You’re improving Prof. :lol:

Value Is Everything
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 28423

Oh, I don’t know though.
    What’s "crappy"?
    What exactly don’t you like Prof?
    What’s a bore?
    What’s an insult to punters?

Value Is Everything
    Professortrubshawe
    • Total Posts 505

Oh, I don’t know though.
    What’s "crappy"?
    What exactly don’t you like Prof?
    What’s a bore?
    What’s an insult to punters?

The start of the Flat is hard work. The form is all over the place: the eternal 2 year old to 3 year old improvment problem, the whole all-weather complication stirred in (and all-weather racing is basically *****CENSORED BY THE JOCKEY CLUB*****, the Middle East crap that no punter I know is interested in; too much guesswork, too little hard info. odds on favourites, weird turn-ups. You can’t bet confidently and anyone who says they do is telling pork pies.
    So, instead of taking the proper have-at-you-sir attitude to getting to grips with the day’s card, one mentally turns off. A month in, and I’m bored by it. I had Rougement (guess) and Colonel Mak (Form study) and about two others, but it’s hard work considering the sheer volume of racing.
    The thought of doing any Flat form study makes your heart sink. As I understand it, we, the paying punters are supposed to be jumping for joy at this mess. Well, I ain’t. Is anyone really excited at the prospect of the Guineas or the classics? As a spectacle maybe, but as a betting opp? I’d rather sort out the winner of a class 3 chase in the depths of winter: you know you’ve got a chance of thrills and spills, and a sporting chance of winning, which is all i require. At the start of the Flat I find myself watching the depressing sight of horses going backwards, and wagers going down by a nose and all that. Having losing runs that simply would not happen on the jumps. It’s boring and annoying. It is only my opinion. Maybe it has to be this way, I don’t know. What I do know is, you will never find new fans on what March and April have to offer. Never.

Now of course, there will be a squadron of defiant anoraks posting after me who say the Classics are the best thing ever and yadda yadda, and they are entitled to their opinion. I enjoy the Derby and so on. But.

Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 28423

The return of the flat has tended to have become more and more underwhelming year on year. I think it’s a combination of factors.

Training methods and facilities have become advanced to the point that trainers no longer need to give their big race hopes an outing before their big day. All weather training surfaces, blood testing, etc, all mean it’s easier to get them fit, and to know they are fit, at home.

Also the winter flat action on the all-weather kind of blurs into the start of the turf season.

Finally, most of the good horses are either still in Dubai, Ireland or France. We don’t seem to have as many good ones.

Barring the best of them all of course.

All valid points Corm.
    But I love this time of year…

It’s all about anticipation!
    A new season revving up.
    Recent seasons have given us Zarkava, Sea The Stars and Frankel.
    What will 2012 bring?

Just read Timeform Racehorses Prof, that’s enough to get anyone looking foreward to the new season.

Value Is Everything
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.