The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Howard Johnson…

Home Forums Horse Racing Howard Johnson…

Viewing 17 posts - 222 through 238 (of 291 total)
  • Author
    BlackSamBellamy
    • Total Posts 53

Fully justified. If anything,I feel he got off lightly. Surely pleading ignorance in a case like this is just ludicrous.

• Total Posts 638

If anything,I feel he got off lightly. Surely pleading ignorance in a case like this is just ludicrous.

I don’t know…it has worked for others

• Total Posts 1402

Little sympathy is likely for this trainer, I think. This should be the end of his career.

I believe he’s confirmed that himself.

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

I believe a four year ban is simply that you must wait four years before applying for a license. After the ban you can be still refused a license,like some jockeys were recently.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9300

Hope he never trains again; was sickened to hear of what happened to that poor horse. However, as I’ve said before, I’m very concerned about the effect it will have on northern racing. At least Mt Wylie ploughed money into a part of the country that is largely ignored by everyone else.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1416

Banned for four years. Full reasons on BHA website.

Far from long enough. It is a green light for the shenanigans to continue, providing you are a big contributor to racing.

Participant
    • Total Posts 784

It should have been a lifetime ban. He has brought a sport already threatened by animal rights campaigners into disrepute, he has mistreated a horse & put the lives of his staff & jockeys at risk.
    Any fool would know that taking the nerves from a horses leg posed a dander to those working with it.

quadrilla
    • Total Posts 468

What happened to Inglis Drever ?

Last I heard, the Best Hurdler in the World, ever, was retired at owner Graham Wylie’s Chesters Stud at Humshaugh. Thankfully in careful and experienced hands.

• Total Posts 1402

I hear Graham Wylie has said he will send a lot of his string to the sales now. I wonder if the pre-sale veterinary examinations will discover any more skeletons in the closet?

Participant
    • Total Posts 6114

In light of this and some of NJ Henderson’s escapades, I believe it is time that the BHA licensed vets before they can work on racehorses.

Licensed vets should then be obliged to submit all treatment reports direct to BHA,copied to trainer.

cjboy
    • Total Posts 127

What happened to Inglis Drever ?

Last I heard, the Best Hurdler in the World, ever, was retired at owner Graham Wylie’s Chesters Stud at Humshaugh. Thankfully in careful and experienced hands.

I think you will find he was euthanised in 2009 as a result of colic.

• Total Posts 23

You know, several weeks ago on a related thread, I posed the question as to which precise Rule of Racing had Howard Johnson broken, in direct relation to a neurectomy.

No one responded. I certainly didn’t know (and I own a racehorse).

Thanks to the BHA Report on the case it can be revealed that it is ".

.Rule 182(x) and, Schedule (B) 3, para 11 in the 2007 and 2009 Rules respectively..".

Johnson’s main defence was that he had no knowledge that the operation and subsequent horse entries were in breach of the Rules of Racing.
    And it is this fact that the BHA Panel chose to highlight

…Johnson’s reckless disregard for the Rules was behaviour which fell seriously short of the standard to be expected of an experienced licensed trainer…

I wonder – prior to, say, February 2011 – just how many UK trainers could honestly say that they knew this precise operation was against the Rules of Racing?

dooquila
    • Total Posts 1

You know, several weeks ago on a related thread, I posed the question as to which precise Rule of Racing had Howard Johnson broken, in direct relation to a neurectomy.

I wonder – prior to, say, February 2011 – just how many UK trainers could honestly say that they knew this precise operation was against the Rules of Racing?

@Crazyhorse
    – do you seriously claim to need a rule of racing down in writing before it might occur to you that to denerve a horse was not conducive to the welfare of the horse or the integrity of racing. Put it another way, how ethical do you think it is to find the only way you can get your horse on a racetrack is to take the nerves out of its foot. Would you not question whether it was inhumane or abusive to do this and pose a huge risk to horse, jockey and anyone else surrounding the horse. In a very sick way, it is a performance enhancing operation. Do you need to see something in writing to realise this? Wow hope your horse doesnt break down for his sake.

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9230

This is my own view and not that of the Forum.

I was very disappointed that a trainer of the standing of Johnson, who has had the privilege of training some extremely good horses, has seemingly shown such a disregard for the welfare of the horses in his care.

As a long term supporter of racing I support it in the general belief that the horses are well cared for, particularly by those at the top of the profession. This has been a sad reminder that this is not always the case. I support and applaud the BHA in their pursuit of this case, another signal that things are perhaps going in the right direction at BHA towers.

I hope Graham Wylie, who has invested so significantly in the sport, will continue to have horses trained in the North (plenty great trainers Mr W – you might want to consider L.Russell, K.Dalgleish and J. Ewart to name but three of many).

David

• Total Posts 1402

"dooquila wrote: @Crazyhorse – do you seriously claim to need a rule of racing down in writing before it might occur to you that to denerve a horse was not conducive to the welfare of the horse or the integrity of racing. Put it another way, how ethical do you think it is to find the only way you can get your horse on a racetrack is to take the nerves out of its foot. Would you not question whether it was inhumane or abusive to do this and pose a huge risk to horse, jockey and anyone else surrounding the horse. In a very sick way, it is a performance enhancing operation. Do you need to see something in writing to realise this? Wow hope your horse doesnt break down for his sake.

It’s not so long since pin-firing and blistering were commonplace. Both procedures were frankly barbaric and very painful to the horse but neither were against the rules of racing.

I’m not seeking to defend the performing of a neurectomy in any way as it is clearly just as barbaric as those other two procedures, I’m just trying to point out that the fact of its barbarity doesn’t in and of itself (sadly) make it a breach of the rules.

pilgarlic
    Participant
    • Total Posts 787

Could anyone tell me to what level of frequency post mortem examinations are carried out – Would it be in all cases ,all fatalities on the racecourse, or just a sample?

Thanks

• Total Posts 23

I hope Graham Wylie, who has invested so significantly in the sport, will continue to have horses trained in the North (plenty great trainers Mr W – you might want to consider L.Russell, K.Dalgleish and J. Ewart to name but three of many).

David

Like you David, I’m astounded at the stance Graham Wylie has taken when questioned what he’s doing next. I mean, totally dismissing the concept of his horses being trained in the North (of Britain that is). He obviously has an axe to grind somewhere.

McCain, Russell, Murphy have excellent facilities but there are also numerous fine yards dotted around his native Hawick.
    What a boost for the Borders if he would put 20 or so horses back into that community. But as with the current staff at White Lea, this seems to be furthest from his thoughts. Although, strangely enough, it doesn’t stop him raiding these same communities to bolster his charity work.

Oh, and David, I wouldn’t be relying on James Ewart being so prominent this coming season………..

Viewing 17 posts - 222 through 238 (of 291 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.