The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

How tastes change.

Home Forums Lounge How tastes change.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    lollys mate
    • Total Posts 625

Whilst sitting at home in the office, I decided to clear out a few of the old albums from the shelf upon which they have accumilated dust for many a year.

Whilst doing this Lollys mates girl came in and started to look through a few of my teenage years music selection.

She enquired about "The Cockney Rejects", so i said to her "play it, its brilliant".

The record player got a wipe, and the Old Rejects started to bang out a tune.

I must be getting old, because I thought it was a bit crap. Then the Sham 69 Hersham Boys came out, I used to play the album day and night, still okay to listen to, but I didnt go mad for it.

The only 2 that I still liked were early Blondie and Souxie and the Banshees. (must not forget UB40. Timeless listening).

Just wondered if you old folk had experienced anything like this.

It worried me.

L.M.Girl liked the album Hair a lot. That got me even more worried.

Andrew Hughes
    • Total Posts 1904

Surely UB40 are only timeless in the sense that you might fall asleep whilst listening to them and wake up several hours later.

:biggrin:

My musical tastes date from a little later and my daughter isn’t two yet, but I can already imagine the conversation

"Daddy, why are they called the Smiths?"<br>"I dunno, they just were"<br>"That’s a stupid name."<br>"No it isn’t."<br>"But why is it so depressing?"<br>"Its not depressing, its angst-ridden."<br>"And why can’t that man sing properly?"<br>"He can sing…..he just……doesn’t want to. Now be quiet and pass me that Manic Street Preachers Album."

We are all getting older and older. Or as I heard some American comedian put it on the radio today – ‘Chronologically gifted'<br>

Andrew Hughes
    • Total Posts 1904

Ah, but here’s the real test of age:

Radio or wireless?

Andrew Hughes
    • Total Posts 1904

But I’ll bet it has a warmth and character no CD player can touch

Andrew Hughes
    • Total Posts 1904

What you got up to on the high seas is your own business

:biggrin:

lollys mate
    • Total Posts 625

I only did the UB40 thing, cos it was the only band that I could spell!

Andrew Hughes
    • Total Posts 1904

UB40 aren’t that bad actually. A good West Midlands band, they had some decent songs – One in Ten, Kingston Town and King. Red Wine is a little painful though

non vintage
    • Total Posts 1268

not to mention their dreadful cover of the already atrocious ‘(I Can’t Help) Falling In Love With You’…

quite like some of the early stuff their did – One In Ten stands out for me – Food For Thought and Sing Our Own Song were also memorable…

(Edited by non vintage at 11:13 am on Dec. 11, 2005)

lollys mate
    • Total Posts 625

Many rivers to cross was my fav top toon.

Jeeeez.

I have to agree with him.  I thought red red wine was one of their worst, yet it was one of their biggest. Goes to show how much we know Andy. EH!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.