The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

How Approachable Are The Irish Yards…

Home Forums Horse Racing How Approachable Are The Irish Yards…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Gazs Way De Solzen
    • Total Posts 2440

I am going to Ireland next week with my other half, and would like to visit some of the yards and see the horses (jump yards), has anyone here visited them, and are they approachable? ? ?

Many thanks.

Gaz.

Imperial Call
    • Total Posts 2184

Most of the yards would be approachable enough. It is a busy time of year for the NH yards though with many of the better horses being brought back in. I’d advise you to get in touch by email or over the phone. Numbers and addresses can be found on the Irish Field’s database.

This might be of some interest to you Gareth if the dates coincide:
    http://www.goracing.ie/AssetLibrary/Files/HRI/News/61616_5%20FI%20Throughbread%20A5%20(Web%20Single).pdf

It is

very

pricy but as you will find out you will be paying through the nose for pretty much everything in Ireland nowadays.

The national stud in Kildare town is supposedly a very good place to visit. The horse museum there houses Arkle’s skeleton. You could always send the other half off to Kildare Village shopping while you have a look around! :wink:

Hope you enjoy your trip

chloed
    • Total Posts 433

can confirm national stud is excellent, you can walk round the paddocks and see the horses turned out , there was a sort of mini cinema showing a tribute to arkle and if you have kids they will love the falabella ponies.+ the enclosed museum with the great ones skeleton.

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

Yes, a couple of hours walking around the paddocks of the Irish National Stud is a great way of chilling out.

One slight negative was seeing Vintage Crop alone in a paddock.

Does seem rather cruel housing a gelding in a stud.

Colin

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8373

Which stallions are there now? Been a few years since I was there. I think Danoli was there in those days as well. Found tears streaming down my face stood in front of Arkle. I agree, though..a great place to go to. Also it’s fantastic to go to The Curragh and just see horses being exercised there in the morning.

Roseblossom
    Participant
    • Total Posts 353

Which stallions are there now? Been a few years since I was there. I think Danoli was there in those days as well. Found tears streaming down my face stood in front of Arkle. I agree, though..a great place to go to. Also it’s fantastic to go to The Curragh and just see horses being exercised there in the morning.

http://www.irish-national-stud.ie/stud/stallions/ – Rakti, Amadeus Wolf, Celtic Swing amongst others…

(very nice website, too, lots of useful info)

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8373

We spent hours in that area trying to find where Mill House had been foaled [never did find it]. saw a Celtic Swing foal that had just been born, but can’t remember the name of the dam. Had a very interesting conversation with someone about the Rock of Gibraltar fracas. They had a stallion there that had gone up in value because of it’s blood lines with Danehill who they had only just lost.

Soba
    • Total Posts 94

Another here who totally recommends the INS. Gorgeous place and very serene.
    Sad to hear Vintage Crop is alone these days though, the last time I visited he had his pal Danoli in with him and it was some sight to see the pair stood sleeping next to each other out in the paddock. There is probably a reason VC is alone, I can’t see the stud leaving him alone for no reason and I would be very surprised if there wasn’t. As for him being the only gelding there it wouldn’t bother him at all.
    The Arkle room is lovely too, they play a dvd in there and there is never a dry eye to be seen when folks walk out after watching it.
    Hope you have a fantastic time over here whatever you do Gaz, i’m certain you will.

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

Soba, my visit to the stud was about 10 years ago.

Vintage Crop was on his own at that time.

Colin

aji
    • Total Posts 469

I have found a couple of them very approachable. Send an email in good time asking if it is possible to visit, explain you are a racing enthusiast (i.e. not a prospective owner), and you never know …

Aidan
    • Total Posts 1198

Vintage Crop now shares a paddock with Florida Pearl.

Soba
    • Total Posts 94

Didn’t realise that Seabird, apologies. :oops: It was a good seven years ago since I last visited. Good to hear Aidan he has Florida Pearl with him now though, two good old boys together.

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

Yep, also pleased to hear he has company, he must be knocking on now.

No problem, Soba, I should have made it clearer in my first post.

Colin

Tom
    • Total Posts 205

"The horse museum there houses Arkle’s skeleton"

Gruesome.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.