The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Homecoming Queen

Home Forums Horse Racing Homecoming Queen

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    GodolphinArabian
    • Total Posts 275

What a game horse!!

I hope she goes to the oaks and does what dancing rain did last year from the front.

befair
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1370

Extraordinary performance, the way she accelerated again into dip was stunning, this after having blazed the trail from the start.
    I’ve just checked her form, her first six runs last year were really average.
    She reminds me of Peeping Fawn, once she started improving she became unstoppable.

Hammy
    • Total Posts 516

Backed the second in both of the classics at my local course this weekend. At least I backed Starscope each way today. :-)

GodolphinArabian
    • Total Posts 275

her half brother Dylan Thomas come of age at 3 so must be in the blood

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4518

Relatively speaking prior to today all her runs have been average.

If she backs that up throughout the season she will effectively be a licence to print money. Personally, I would have my doubts. Today, she was almost certainly the fittest horse in the race and the only one who got home.

okjoe57
    Participant
    • Total Posts 189

Cheer up sleepy Jean, a Monkee died but the Queen did come home

GodolphinArabian
    • Total Posts 275

okjoe57,

just think of what that comment looks like to people…. :shock:

betlarge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2789

Has the unlikeliest profile of any classic winner I’ve ever seen – just the eleven runs as a juvenile, the first eight as a maiden!

If Maybe had done that, we would be hailing the next Zenyatta/Zarkava/Pebbles etc.

Mike

befair
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1370

Fair point Betlarge, Frankel wins from the front and he’s the horse of the century, HQ is even more impressive today and, apparently, it’s because the others aren’t fit enough.
    We give up our preconceptions grudgingly, don’t we?

no idea
    • Total Posts 685

What a strange comment Stilvi

She was probably the fittest horse in the field intimating that the others were not fit enought to race for a first prize of £213,513

If that is the case the trainers of the other runners should be shot and what a sad indictment of racing as a whole if people think that trainers don’t have their horses fit enough to run and win for that amount of money.

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

What a race it would have been had the rest been as fit as HQ.A herd of world beating fillies!

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8179

I’m sure Aidan O’Brien said something about Maybe possibly needing the run on TSL, and also said Homecoming Queen had improved dramatically between her runs this season. Not sure that he mentioned that before the race…..[ah, Joseph said Maybe possibly lacked race fitness and got tired but that HQ was the horse he was most afraid of in that she’d gone into a ‘different zone’ in the past couple of weeks. Wish I’d known that!]

freeradical
    • Total Posts 336

O’Brien did say about Maybe before the race just ready to run which seems to be his code for will come on for the run.

Will be interesting to see what rating Homecoming Queen gets, particularly in view that this was considered a strong race. The comparison with Frankel’s 2000 G is also interesting. Unlike HQ, Frankel wasn’t still going away at the finish and in retrospect it wasn’t a strong field he beat.

matrix
    • Total Posts 52

Its difficult to read the ”just ready to start” comment from O’Brien at times. The degree to which they are just ready to start is the necessary componant to deduce from the interviews. I guess it helps to know a little about the horses profile, their style of racing and how much hard work he may have been able to get into them to decipher with any relative accuracy what the true meaning of his words are. He has certainly used this line in the past about HenryTheNavigator and lately Camelot before they won the guineas.

I found his website that was live for a few weeks a cpl of years ago particularly informative as to the 1st time outers and their readyness. That was, before it got ”upgraded”/censored and later discontinued after it was moved to the coolmore site.

Watching the RUK interview I never knew Lydia had her name changed to Olivia by the way !?

Peruvian Chief
    • Total Posts 1931

Agree altogether with Betlarge – what on earth what all that about? Un-pickable, unless you back AOB 2nd strings in Classics blind – which i might well start to do now, one race too late.

I bet the trends boys were all over that one! :roll:

Ghost of Rob V
    Participant
    • Total Posts 825

I just think the track and going suited her far better than the other horses hence the long winning margin. Kinda reminds me of 1st October in 2010 when Hooray and Dream Ahead both won by long distances in similar soft going.

I’m not convinced she’s a superstar by that win and doubt she’ll repeat such a performance.

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

She ran so well we started to knock her immediately. Check her other victories. Similar performances.I guess even Joseph could not believe them.Given decent ground and her head and she did it again.What a horse.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 66 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.