The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Henrythenavigator

Home Forums Horse Racing Henrythenavigator

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

Mergenavig
    Has he "lost his way"?

<!– s:roll: –>:roll:<!– s:roll: –>

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17718

It would be premature to write him off just yet.
    These comments from Sunday are enlightening:

I knew we were in trouble going to the start as my horse wasn’t at all happy on the ground. – Kieren Fallon, jockey; Fair play to the winner. She fought back well. But our colt was always struggling and was clearly hating the ground. He was in trouble well before he got to the front. The ground is very deep, what you’d call point-to-point ground, and it certainly wasn’t what we wanted to start off his Group 1 campaign. We will wait and see how he comes out of the race before making plans for the rest of the season. – Aidan O’Brien, trainer

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

Did the pun fly over reets head i wonder? :D

Now we always take Ballydoyle and Fallon comments at face value dont we?

I will always keep an open mind about heavy ground defeats but also about some of the reasons given for defeats by that team too

Heres a good article

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/ … 253617.ece

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4715

I can appreciate there may be genuine excuses for Henrythenavigator. I’d be a little worried about the form anyway as Saoirse Abu is pretty well exposed and has been found out by the better Irish 2yos.

Rob

non vintage
    • Total Posts 1268

I think it was pretty clear that ‘Enry didn’t go in the ground. It may have been a surprise that Saoirse Abu ended up winning (it was to me, as I thought there were a couple much more likely to upset the favourite), but I doubt we will ever see the AOB horse on ground significantly slower than good in the future.

For the record, Saoirse Abu will be of considerable interest on any future quagmiresque assignments…

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

The race looks absolutely useless as a form tool imo. Saoirse Abu is arguably the only runner to have given her running and whilst you could argue she’s improved in the region of 15 lb or so, I’d be happy to take the opinion for the time being that she hasn’t. She’s already had a number of tries at 6f on soft and good to soft ground, so I’d be cautious of crediting her with too much improvement for the time being. I think there are at least 3 or 4 Irish fillies with stronger form that what she has.

Henrythenavigator clearly didn’t give his running, it was clear from an early stage he wasn’t travelling on it.However whether he should be so short in the Guineas market as he is is a different matter. The Coventry form, like last year doesn’t look particularly strong and I think he has a few pounds to find with the likes of Winker Watson, Rio de la Plata and Myboycharlie.

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

He certainly would seem to have a bit to make up on Winker and his price simply reflects connections and reputation. But as above article points out, Ballydoyles best miling prospect this year is not coming from a glittering crop …perhaps

johnjdonoghue
    • Total Posts 994

I would hold judgement Clive on Henry, the ground in Ireland is desperate at the moment.

JohnJ.

ClintM
    • Total Posts 237

The Phoenix form is a throw-out as far as I’m concerned. Henry on decent ground will be, imho, a very different horse – might now be a backable price in the National Stakes.

Himself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3772

This quote from Ch4 Racing’s Tanya Stevenson.

" Although I love Henrythenavigator, I will repeat – the best two – year – old I have seen this season is Dermot Weld’s Famous Name, who is entered to run on August 25th."

Anyone agree with her?

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Chubs
    • Total Posts 67

godolpin have a nice 2 year old much much better than rio de la plata thats yet to appear on the racecourse. :D

Rockytony
    • Total Posts 96

This quote from Ch4 Racing’s Tanya Stevenson.

" Although I love Henrythenavigator, I will repeat – the best two – year – old I have seen this season is Dermot Weld’s Famous Name, who is entered to run on August 25th."

Anyone agree with her?

She was right about Henrythenavigator, she made him her nap of the week for Royal Ascot, so she must think highly about Famous Name.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Fascinating to see Henrythenavigator declared for the Futurity in very testing ground at the Curragh on Saturday. New Approach, the Galileo colt that Bolger has declared will follow the Teofilo route, looks a strong opponent.

For anyone interested, Timeform are giving away free cards for the meeting if downloaded from the website.

madman marz
    • Total Posts 707

I never get too worked up over 2 yr olds, look what happened this year both Holy Roman Emperor & Teofilo never seen another racecourse, many times top rated 2 yr olds fail to train on or are simply past out, by the slow maturing types.
    But having said all that "Sense of Joy" runs tommorow have to admit was very taken by her performance in her maiden looked a notch or two above average "get on"

carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

New Approach was impressive. Taken on for the lead by the O’Brien second string he still settled well but they weren’t hanging around. After 3f I thought they’d gone too quick (6l clear of Henry who was off the bridle, rest outpaced) but once he hit the front and bagged the rail it was over. He looks like a stayer more than a quickener to me, I’d be thinking Derby rather than Guineas but they may well be lured down the Teofilio route of Dewhurst then Guineas. If he were mine he’d run next in the Racing Post Trophy as he looks made for a mile already, and soft ground is no problem.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.