The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Henman cracking?

Home Forums General Sports Henman cracking?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Racing Daily
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1364

Here we go again.  Two match points and a break of serve lost against ‘pou’.  Tim, don’t bottle it man!

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4715

Thank goodness he beat the one dimensional Phillippousis. For the first two sets the Australian didn’t have a clue because the ball kept coming back over net after he’d served!

Henman should see off Ancic, but I wonder if he’s got the ability to beat Roddick, who is a big server but has a better all round game than Phillippousis. Should Henman come through that match then it’s probably Federer in the final, and Federer is playing so well it’s difficult to see a way past him.

Rob

(Edited by robnorth at 8:51 am on June 29, 2004)

aston
    • Total Posts 168

I love this time of year. One of my favourite events occurs at Wimbledon, every year without fail. Henman takes a beating. I look forward to it so much.<br>And the fans are the reason for it. Have they and the media learned nothing. They talk ‘tiger Tim’ up no end, and elevate him for a huge fall. The crowds cheer every mistake of the opponent, which is bang out of order, and doesnt happen at any of the other grand slams.

So, Im lookin forward to his certain demise, and the groans from the partisan crowd is music to my ears, and all those on ‘Henman Hill’ (makes you sick the way they go on), will go home and hope that he will do it next year. <br>ITS NEVER GOIN TO HAPPEN!!

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4715

Aston

Which still doesn’t disguise the fact that Tim Henman is, regardless of whether or not he ever wins Wimbledon, the best male tennis player this country has produced since Fred Perry. That isn’t a bad achievement.

If your only reason for wishing his failure is that he has a lot of enthusiastic support then I don’t understand it.

Although the nature of the game means supporters may be celebrating when a opponent fails with a shot, the suggestion that ‘The crowds cheer every mistake of the opponent’ simply isn’t true. It happens on occasions, but is certainly not a general occurrence.

I think Tim Henman is over-hyped but I bear him no ill-will because of that. Yes they elevate for a huge fall, but it seems to me that there are those ready to ‘kick him when he has fallen’.

Rob

aston
    • Total Posts 168

Yes, like me. The fans have absolutely no respect for the opponent. A bit like the English fans in Portugal, whistling and jeering through the oppositions National Anthem. Disgraceful carry-on.<br>’Henmania’ is a fad. The fact that he is the best British tennis player means nothing. I mean who does he have to come up against to win that title. A Canadian.<br>Hes not in the same league as Hewitt or Federer (who play each other today), and I look forward to the crowds disappointment.

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4715

I take it you are now smiling?

It’s almost a self fulfilling story, which will allow the papers to run the ‘Is Tiger Tim finished?’ and ‘Has Tim’s chance gone?’ headlines. Build him up, then ‘whack!’ and knock him down.

‘Tiger Tim’ has to be one or the more inappropriate sporting nicknames.

Still, he did reach his seeded position…….

Rob

Racing Daily
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1364

Today was dissapointing to see.  Who is Ancic?<br>I guess if the tiger had been playing John Francome in a qtr-final match up it would have gone to five sets.<br>And I really thought that his form against Phillippousis entitled him to a semi final place against today’s opponent :(

aston
    • Total Posts 168

Far from smiling mate. I missed the bloody thing due to work. I cant believe it. Its soooooo much better when your watchin live. I feel cheated.:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Wagering War
    • Total Posts 1

A bloke I work with has a mate who doesn’t so much hate Henman as the type of fops whom he says cheer Tim on.

Apparently, it began when he looked at them all on TV a few years ago and, in his words, "it suddenly occurred to me that I could beat about 97% of the Centre Court crowd in a fight…"

Not my sentiments, I must point out, but a nice quote, I thought.

Incidentally, is Sue Barker suffering from bad cosmetic surgery or a trainee make-up artist at the moment? I thought we had the new Lesley Ash when I watched Question of Sport last week, but having watched her host Wimbledon today, I’m not so sure.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.