Hardwicke Stakes

Home Forums Archive Topics Royal Ascot 2017 Hardwicke Stakes

This topic contains 37 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by stevecaution stevecaution 2 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    botchy1
    botchy1
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2959

Hein, obviously i dont know where he is heading for sure. Straight after the race in Dubai, Gosden said in an interview on ATR the plan was the Hardwicke, KG and Arc. A mile and half is his best trip but that G1 carrot could tempt them. I certainly hope not :yes:

Obviously plans can change with Minding out and Almanzor not going to Royal Ascot now.

hein bollow
    hein bollow
    Participant
    • Total Posts 567

Thank you Botchy, I agree with you that they should pick the Hardwicke for Jack Hobbs, I would see him nearly unbeatable there. So I better wait until it will be definite and I hope he will stand around 2/1 then.
    Thanks for the info that Almanzor is out, that was new for me..

Voleur
    Voleur
    Participant
    • Total Posts 658

Looks like Jack Hobbs is all set for the Prince of Wales, and once that’s confirmed 3/1 on Highland Reel could be a nice docket to be sitting on. He has next in the betting Frontiersman already covered, and I can’t see anything else getting near him unless it buckets down. Highland Reel 4/1.

Middle_Of_March
    Middle_Of_March
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2441

Posted it in my DLAP thread a couple of hours before starting this one. Got the 16’s with both no problems.

Did you have a go MOM ?

Only just seen the thread Botchy

Unfortunately I didn’t play. If I’d have thought about it for a second at the time, I would’ve realised 16s is massive and had a nibble.

As for Gracious Diana, I’ve played her with shutter Speed for the Derby and think 16s for the ribblesdale may just be too big to ignore.

Thankfully, I actually forgot all about GD for the Ribblesdale almost straight after I made that post.

Have no bets for the hardwicke as it’s a play on the day race for me.

botchy1
    botchy1
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2959

Laid off my JH bet @ 3/1 stake some time ago, but still sat on £100 to win £1200.

“We are going for the Hardwicke as a prep for the King George,” said Gosden. Obviously Minding, So mi Dar and the part owners Cloth of Stars being ruled out make the POW an option.

Hopefully Gosden & Mrs Gosden still thinks the original plan is best for the horse, but the other part owner is possibly wanting a runner in the G1. I think it would be a mistake to risk JH over 1M 2F on fast ground especially if Highland Reel goes POW.

Quite certain he will get an entry still for the Hardwicke and hopefully Highland Reel does not ( but doubt it )

stevecaution
    stevecaution
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 8281

I was going to play Dartmouth at 6/1 but was concerned Jack Hobbs might run here.

With that being no concern now and with Highland Reel potentially following Jack Hobbs to the Prince Of Wales, I am now on Dartmouth at 4/1.

The horse won the race last year and he did me a favour already this season when winning satisfactorily on his seasonal debut. He won with more in hand than the bare margin and Ryan Moore said he would have preferred to have something to race with, as the horse is a true battler.

This looks well winnable if the others defect and 4/1 will surely beat SP.

Dartmouth 4/1 looks sure to go close at least.

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

CharlesOlney
    CharlesOlney
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2050

Personally I’ll be wanting to take Dartmouth on (as short as 11/4 with SkyBet, but 7/2 available) as I think the horse isn’t seen to best effect on a very quick surface; I appreciate he has won on good-firm but they were handicaps off marks of 82 and 89 – races he should have won regardless of ground conditions.

I’m not really enticed by much at the head of the betting and so have looked further down the field. I think both Midterm (33/1 with Paddy Power) and Chemical Charge (40/1 with Bet365) won’t be anywhere near those odds if lining up and so have had a couple of speculative punts at small stakes just in case connections do decide to take their chance although I appreciate they are both more likely to shirk Royal Ascot altogether. The former looks like coming to the boil and a right handed quick ground 12 furlongs looks like what he wants. The latter was never happy in the Aston Park last time and the soft ground was probably to blame as he looked all over the winner previously in the John Porter when seemingly relishing the quick surface. A right handed track and a shorter run in could bring about improvement.

Gingertipster
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 25882

I like three outsiders each way.
    Dal Harald 12/1, My Dream Boat 18/1 and Second Step 21/1.

value is everything
    stevecaution
    stevecaution
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 8281

Dartmouth is too short at about an average of 2/1 now.

The Yorkshire Cup he won has worked out woefully.

He will probably strip a lot better now and this is a pretty poor field.

I can’t enthuse about Idaho, who I have seen tipped up. His old sparring partner US Army Ranger is running in the Alexandra, which hardly inspires confidence regarding last year’s Derby.

Dal Harraild was quite impressive last time but I am not sure he beat much and he’s never won twice in a row in his life.

Timeform are very dismissive of Second Set, giving him only two stars out of five. He’s only had two starts for Roger Charlton and won at Goodwood in Listed Class last time. The stable are red hot on 31% 8/26 this last fortnight and there seems worse value in the race.

Chemical Charge is even more slated on one star. His last run was rubbish right enough but that was soft ground in Dartmouth’s race. He’s placed 6 times in a 10 race career and in a hotch potch of a race 40/1 each-way might be a low cost option for some fun.

I did Dartmouth and I think he should run well. A bit skinny at half the odds I took though. Stoute is only 3/31 the last fortnight and a shade less than half his annual average. A couple have run well for him this week but generally they have been going off short enough for a stable not on all cylinders.

St Nicholas Abbey
    St Nicholas Abbey
    Participant
    • Total Posts 127

I can’t enthuse about Idaho, who I have seen tipped up.

Literally.

Chivers1987
    Chivers1987
    Participant
    • Total Posts 842

Wings Of Desire has a good chance for this. I fancy he is spot on and raring to go in a decent but not overly strong hardwicke.
    He was ahead of Dartmouth in last years King George and on bare form that puts him just ahead of Idaho. Both could be much better with age.

Idaho is another who has the scope for a lot of improvement, especially after a blow out at Epsom where he wasn’t given a hard time of it.

Wings Of Desire & Idaho e/w
    15/2 and 11/2

worzelwaywardlad
    Participant
    • Total Posts 31

Obvious who wins this! After my daughter was watching Toy Story this morning and one of the characters says “let’s go Idaho”!!!!

stevecaution
    stevecaution
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 8281

I can’t enthuse about Idaho, who I have seen tipped up.

Literally.

I think the opposition was so poor that Idaho lost concentration and fell flat on his tits. The bookies’ invisible trip wire is the other theory for that Leger debacle.

stevecaution
    stevecaution
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 8281

Second Set and My Dream Boat are out.

botchy1
    botchy1
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2959

Idaho for me here, missed the AP prices on him and not going to be backing him at 4’s.

I think Seammie has kept the ride to make amends for the St. Leger, as opposed to Ryan choosing the Queen’s horse.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.