The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

greatest tragedy

Home Forums Lounge greatest tragedy

Viewing 17 posts - 86 through 102 (of 114 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 1083

Best mate I found heartbreaking or was it one man, not sure but it was deffo one of those. It’s probably been said on here before but I think some trainers and owners are greedy and should retire horses alot sooner ….

Participant
    • Total Posts 17

Seeing Marodima run in a claimer at Ludlow yesterday.

All this gallant little horse want’s to do is to please and he deserved a better fate than this. I can’t imagine JP McManus treating one of his horses in this fashion.

Sometimes the game seems so sordid.

• Total Posts 2440

There was a sombre feeling at Huntingdon when i was there when The Grey Berry ran, in unfortunately what was his last race.

He finished second, however, i think he actually sustained an injury and therefore when at the Winners’ Enclosure, and the ‘2nd’ position was vacant, i feared the worse.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1374

Totally agree about Best Mate, I was at Exeter that day and it was the first time I actually cried over the loss of a horse.

Going back a few years I was at Sandown when Eulogy broke a leg and was put down after falling at the water jump. I just stood there frozen in fear not believing the attitude of fellow "race fans" as no-one else cared and all disappeared back to the bar.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2264

ones which come to mind are best mate and one man

and also exotic dancer last year :cry:

also young kenny i was there that day he broke his leg, his jockey sat in tears behind the fence, we knew he would be pts

every loss however is hard, as we get to know many of these horses from year to year

• Total Posts 1083

Totally agree about Best Mate, I was at Exeter that day and it was the first time I actually cried over the loss of a horse.

I was in tears seeing the following Saturday’s Morning Line mate, hearing Jim Lewis talking about it. Very upsetting.

royal falcon
    • Total Posts 15

Inglis Drever dying of colic saddened me greatly.

colinf
    • Total Posts 144

Aidan O’Brien’s reaction as he walked across the course with wife and kids in tow after Istabraq had been pulled-up in the Champion Hurdle. He was shaking his heading in a ‘I should have known better’ kind of way and Anne-Marie put an arm around him.
    A lovely cameo to how they are sometimes percieved as flat racing’s elite.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1400

I always feel that George Washington’s demise could/should have been avoided. If he was my horse, I’d have never let him run in those waterlogged conditions in that 2007 Breeders Cup.

Black Sam Bellamy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 444

Definately George Washington for me. The sight of him stricken in the slop was a sad end for a horse with such character.

jinnyj
    • Total Posts 141

Definitely George for me too. He was a horse with such presence even if he was a bit wayward at times. I watched the race in my neighbouring pub and left it in floods of tears vowing I’d never watch the BC again (well that was a knee-jerk over-reaction as usual by me but I was really devastated at the time). Also I was very very upset with Horatio Nelson in the Derby. I was saddling a horse at Folkestone that day and watched the race in the O/T bar. I couldn’t believe they ran him especially as you could see he wasn’t right and Fallon was really unhappy that he was running.

All equine deaths upset me – one of the reasons although I love jump racing, I don’t want to run any of mine over jumps. OK – recently I have been involved pointing but I don’t get as worked up as although I ride the horses every day, they’re not mine and so I don’t have that same emotional attachment.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1374

One Man at Aintree – I remember seeing the horse in the paddock before the race and he looked beautiful, but was left cold when I saw him fall and hearing that it was fatal. The whole course went quiet and the atmosphere was muted for the rest of the day.

• Total Posts 15015

Definitely One Man for me too. That was hard to take, especially so soon after his victory at Cheltenham! So many more though!

Participant
    • Total Posts 1657

Eight Belles death-people were so excited about a filly running 2nd in the Derby, then we saw the screen up and realized what had happened. It was so shocking because it was the first casualty in the long history of the Kentucky Derby.

williamjohn
    • Total Posts 2

Hi everyone,

having read and remembered the majority of horses lost giving us so much pleasure over the years, whilst the loss of any horse is terrible to all connected with the animal I feel that one has to however difficult it is to get the head up and move on.

We all know how fickle the game is and lets face it every time the animal goes out for exercise/racing we are in gods hands as to what the outcome could be.I myself have been for the last 2 years had a 1/4 share in a good novice/handicap chaser Sa Suffit ( trained in Scotland by James Ewart). Although I constantly think about what can go wrong I also say to myself whats the point of worrying. Otherwise you would make yourself ill with worry. Anyhow good luck to everyone involved with these magnificent animals

Fryern
    • Total Posts 175

You said racing:

1. Dawn Run – owners being too greedy. She won both the Champion Hurdle and Gold Cup.

2. Watching a de Havilland DH110 jet break up above me and kill 29 spectators standing close by.

3. Seeing Stirling Moss crash at Goodwood.

:D :D

NogbadTheNog
    • Total Posts 37

Tomorrow’s (27/04) flat cards.

Viewing 17 posts - 86 through 102 (of 114 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.