The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Great St Wilfrid 2020

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Great St Wilfrid 2020

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Venture to CognacVenture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 17559

Definitely no Antepost here for me….

https://www.racingpost.com/racecards/49/ripon/2020-08-16/763126

https://www.oddschecker.com/horse-racing/ante-post-racing/flat/great-st-wilfrid-handicap/winner

I can’t argue with Kimifive at the head of the market, he looks a worthy favourite, but equally, I could see Meraas taking over that mantle, as he’s potentially very good, and the 8’s could look like a gift cone Sunday.

Throw in the in form Watchable, Dave Dexter, Brian The Snail, and Staxton. It doesn’t get any easier.

There’s also the question of Dakota Gold back in this company, as he’s bound to bounce back at some point, and the old hands at this game, Mr Lupton, George Bowen, and Gunmetal continue to get help from the handicapper.

I’ve no idea right now. If pushed, I’d say Meraas will head the market, but I’m not rushing in to this one.

Blackcountry Kid
    Participant
    • Total Posts 158

Not surprised to find this race under your guidance VtC.Despite all the ones mentioned you miss the one I have my eye on.Of those that you do,can’t see Watchable coming out again after two quick runs.Kimifive has a very unappealing strike rate of 3 wins from 33 races and has never won from a mark in the 90’s after many attempts.Meraas has potential but for me still has something to prove.
    I may throw more light on the race nearer the w/e but under present conditions it’s going to be a humdinger of a pace!
    keep up the good work,
    good luck to all

Venture to CognacVenture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 17559

Kid, I honestly don’t have a clue at this stage, could even see me swerving it, but no doubt I’ll buckle after Final Decs.

robnorthrobnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4585

This is very close on my ratings with 11 within 5lbs of the top. Top six are:

Citron Major 115; Deputise 114; Staxton 114; Abel Handy 113; Abate 113; Motagally 112

Citron Major – 3rd last year and won here recently, but rail draw helped last year and is drawn in the middle this time.
    Deputise – Form is from generally small fields on turning AW tracks. May surprise but doesn’t convince me.
    Staxton – Regular in these and a bit hit or miss, but has hit form and 7lbs less than his winning mark from last year.
    Abel Handy – Regularly fallen short when tried in this grade.
    Abate – Excuse for his last run and otherwise steadily progressive this year. Sound chance.
    Motagally – A corking bet IF THE GROUND STAYS QUICK! Impressively beat a winner since in Chil Chil when scooting home at Bath and one I marked down to follow on quick ground. Draw in box 20 a bonus.

Three against the field in order of preference:

Motagally
    Abate
    Staxton

All Jeff
    Participant
    • Total Posts 239

Rob, we did well last week together with Island Brave, so I’m hoping that it’s a good omen that I’ve also bet Motagally, and I took 8-1.

Gunmetal is my ew selection with 6 places

fivelongdays
    Participant
    • Total Posts 612

Going three against the field

Abate
    Citron Major
    Dakota Gold.

Twitter=@PGHenn

So don't run, just like the others always do

sporting sam
    Participant
    • Total Posts 808

George Bowen
    Highly Sprung
    I Am A Dreamer
    Watchable

All to win and a combination tricast!!
    Rationale, because you can’t back em all.😎

BigGBigG
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7501

I’m in a bit of a quandary here, I’ve long been a fan of Dakota Gold and although he’s
    looked like a shadow of himself this year, if he were to bounce back he could set off
    and the only thing the others would see would be his butt.

I had Kimifive at a decent ante post price in the Stewards Cup, and I wonder if that was
    his chance, he doesn’t find it easy to win.

I’ve also been waiting for Gunmetal taking advantage of his falling mark for some time.
    He’s been dropped another 2lbs for this, which is a whopping 16lbs since this time last year.
    If he is in any decent shape at all he has to be so well in that it’s hard to leave him out.
    It seems the money has come for him this morning so it points towards a big race.

Unless it’s the National I don’t bet 3 horses, so I’ll mull over it a bit more :unsure:

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2061

Staxton ew 5 places.

BigGBigG
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7501

I’ve taken the 10/1 on Dakota Gold, I just favour him over the
    other 2. If he’s fit he must go well…I hope.

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2061

Get in Staxton!

robnorthrobnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4585

Motagally’s chance was doomed once the going went ‘Good to Soft’, and he was going nowhere from two out. This horse is worth keeping in mind for a similar event if the going firms up again.

Had Staxton in my top three so pleased with that.

Abel Handy ran a cracking race and Class 2 level appears not to be the problem I thought it would be. More so as he came from a middle draw when rails are favoured.

He Didnt Like Ground
    Participant
    • Total Posts 412

I backed him each way today so I’ll play those winnings on him for the Ayr gold cup , his run today will have him primed for it , he was a group 2 winner last year and there,s plenty of horse still there ….Mr Lupton

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.