The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Great point to point meeting

Home Forums Horse Racing Great point to point meeting

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Adrian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1041

Fantastic days racing at Horseheath (between Haverhill and Cambridge) in brilliant blue sunshine where we didn’t need coats or wellies, despite it being only 3rd Feb.

85 runners in 7 races with some remarkably well priced winners.

The star was Artic Jack who, despite being a former winner of the Peter Marsh and being ridden by the Champion PTP rider Richard Burton romped home in the Open at 4/1.  He won by 10 lengths from possibly the best horse in East Anglia – Cosmic Sky – who had won his last 4 starts.

The ladies was won by the Shropshire raider Madge Carroll (excellently ridden as always by Jane Williams).

Briar’s Mist, which won the Members at 20/1 under Stuart Morris, had won a Newcastle handicap only a year ago.

Baron Bernard won the PPORA at 16/1 giving her owner’s daughter, Rosie Chinery, her first winner.  She gave him a flat race style finish (years of pony racing!) to just beat the much more experienced Ran Morgan.

Being there made you glad to be alive!

(Edited by Adrian at 9:26 pm on Feb. 3, 2007)

Mully
    • Total Posts 156

Glad you enjoyed your day. I am at  Black Forest Lodge tomorrow, not a great card but hopefully excellent weather.

Happy Jack
    Participant
    • Total Posts 515

Glad it was a good day Adrian, certainly looked like a good card (as does a couple of meetings tomorrow).

Bizarrely enough I spoke to Carrie Ford on the phone yesterday, who was worried that the ground at Horseheath was going to be too quick. I assured her other wise so I guess (in my mind anyway) that Artic Jack’s success is entirely down to me….

cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8799

"Being there made you glad to be alive!"

This IS a ptp we’re talking Adrian is it?<br>

rory
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

Has Ran Morgan relocated? He certainly used to ride a lot at the Scottish tracks not too long ago, or was this simply a case of taking opportunities where available?

Happy Jack
    Participant
    • Total Posts 515

I believe Ran Morgan has relocated darn sarf.

jonny33
    • Total Posts 51

i was at wetherby today. bica was a most impressive winner of the hunter chase. could he be another foxhunter winner for the whaley cohens?

Happy Jack
    Participant
    • Total Posts 515

Bica beat absolutely nothing today but still did it in pretty impressive fashion. He will be the Waley-Cohen’s Cheltenham horse while Katarino will be going to Liverpool again.

Can’t help but thinking that the Irish have all the aces at the moment as far as Cheltenham are concerned, hope I’m proved wrong<br>

Mully
    • Total Posts 156

Which irish horse do you like most HJ [ for Cheltenham ].

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3105

<br>Adrian,

Did the ‘brilliant blue sunshine’ result in any fences being bypassed – or can pt-to-pt riders still see as well as rules jockeys used to ten years ago?

AP

Happy Jack
    Participant
    • Total Posts 515

Mully, it would be very boring to say Whyso Mayo, but he did look very good on his comeback run.

Bobbawn looks an extremely exciting prospect – whether his time will come this year or next I’m not sure but he is definitely a big winner waiting to happen.

I see that Nebeltau is prominent in the betting but he is only five and he too is one for the future. Ned Kelly is priced up on his former glories and I wouldn’t be interested in him at all.

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3181

Ned Kelly won a 5 horse open last weekend Mully.  

How old do horses have to be to run in the Foxhunters?  Is it two Hunter Chase wins to meet the entry requirements?  

Think i’ve found one who looks exciting but fails on both of the above points.

Wallace
    Participant
    • Total Posts 862

Great the have the Point season going so well especially for my good friend Nick Alexander and has daughter Lucy.  Lucy had her first ride at Alnwick a couple of weeks ago 3 days after getting her permit and came with a great run from 30 lenghts off the pace to grab a dead heat on Wise Man.  The pair followed up in great style yesterday at Friars Haugh (Kelso) winning the Ladies Open easily.

It looks as if Wise Man is back to the form he showed when winning four races under rules a few years ago.

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3105

<br>Irish Stamp,

Conditions require that between 1/1/2005 and 26/2/2007, a horse has to be placed first or second in two hunter chases, or win two open points, or win one point and finish first or second in a hunter chase.

Five year olds are eligible and they get a 10lb weight allowance, so they need an amateur that can do 11st 4lbs.

AP

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

Quote: from Wallace on 12:40 pm on Feb. 4, 2007[br]<br>It looks as if Wise Man is back to the form he showed when winning four races under rules a few years ago.<br>

<br>They trained him specifically with the Highland National in mind a couple of seasons running, didn’t they? I’m not sure if he’s up to taking that sort of race, even buoyed by these victories, but there’s a hunters’ chase over the same C&D (3m7f) during the same April Festival that he’d interest me in if it was still soggy underfoot.

Jeremy<br>(graysonscolumn)<br>

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.