The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Grand National 2010

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Grand National 2010

Viewing 17 posts - 579 through 595 (of 896 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1704

I’ve had a decent bet on The Package at 20s, Arbor Supreme at 25s, Comply or Die e/w at 25s, Irish Raptor e/w at 40s and a rank outsider e/w at 150s, namely Ollie Magern – don’t ask me why on the last named, i don’t know why either! :D

Ollie Magern is not a silly bet. Look at his finished this season. He’s been finishing so well. Look at some of his finishes this season…

He only just lost the Charlie Hall. He wasn’t tiring at the end either, just outpaced by the younger rivals.

He stayed on in the Aon. Sure he was behind, but he still stayed on…

He was 2 lengths away from being 4th in the Racing Post Chase. I couldn’t believe the amount of ground he made to even be 6th!

And in the William Hill he kept on to be less than a head away from being 5th…

I think a further distance, such as the Nationals, will be perfect for him. He jumps well and i think he’ll stay.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1759

Fair enough guys. I know NTD is quietly ‘sweet’ on OM. Just checked my folder and i forgot one, Razor Royale e/w at 50s.
    I hope i can resist on GN morning, not to bet any others in the race, but knowing me i’ll get sucked in and end up backing another 3 or 4! :D

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9289

I would imagine that a lot of people on the day will back any horses 100/1 because of last year.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9289

Whatever happens at Aintree, if one of Twisters horses wins the race I wouldn’t like to be the person that tries to put a scarf on the winning jockey!

KendalCavalier
    Participant
    • Total Posts 412

is anyone else of the same opinion as me in regards to Backstage. Should this horse not be banned from racing (as David’s Lad was) for 40 days after yesterday’s blatant schooling in public?

Participant
    • Total Posts 1704

Does anyone know the current state of the ground at Aintree? It’s been pretty much none stop raining for the last week and was wondering whether my heavy national could be so? I know it’s still 2 weeks away, but a good head start helps.

KendalCavalier
    Participant
    • Total Posts 412

I wasn’t allowed to watch the weather on Countryfile coz the missus knows I have a thing for Helen Willets!

Participant
    • Total Posts 1759

Does anyone know the current state of the ground at Aintree? It’s been pretty much none stop raining for the last week and was wondering whether my heavy national could be so? I know it’s still 2 weeks away, but a good head start helps.

Rain most of this week, if the latest prediction models prove to be correct.
    But next week is hinting at warm, fairly dry weather, but a week is a long time in UK weather terms, so i’ll be keeping an eye on the models over the next week or so.
    I’m a member of a weather forum, with access to weather model data, so i’ll post on here regularly leading up to Aintree.
    If it was this weekend coming, for example, i’d confidently predict soft going, but we are 11/12 days away so best to leave a prediction until next weekend.
    Cheers

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9289

Theres money piling on Arbor Supreme like there’s no tomorrow…

Participant
    • Total Posts 1759

Theres money piling on Arbor Supreme like there’s no tomorrow…

Noticed that, 14s/16s now – was 25s when i bet a week ago.

Does it go on any ground?
    ’cause although Aintree will be soft this week, if next week is dry and warm it could easily change to good going by raceday.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2232

i was reading an article the other day, saying that arbor supreme can act on good or soft ground, but his jumping is better on soft ground i think it said

vf

Participant
    • Total Posts 1759

i was reading an article the other day, saying that arbor supreme can act on good or soft ground, but his jumping is better on soft ground i think it said

vf

Just read the stats on Racing Post website – has decent form on either heavy/soft or good, but majority of races have been on soft. :D

EDIT: However, has only ever raced in Ireland, so how will he travel? :roll:

halfwaytoheaven
    • Total Posts 1387

vf

Just read the stats on Racing Post website – has decent form on either heavy/soft or good, but majority of races have been on soft. :D

EDIT: However, has only ever raced in Ireland, so how will he travel? :roll:

The market would suggest that there’s probably a little rumour going around that either the horse will skip the Irish National or that it will definitely come to Aintree.

• Total Posts 1046

is anyone else of the same opinion as me in regards to Backstage. Should this horse not be banned from racing (as David’s Lad was) for 40 days after yesterday’s blatant schooling in public?

Not me! Perfect prep, well done Gordon :wink:

(That said Razor Royale is probably the best handicapped, if only he hadn’t pulled up lto…but I digress)

Participant
    • Total Posts 1704

Paul Townend is getting the leg up on Arbor while AP ig on Can’t Buy Time. I think AP’s getting the raw end of the deal in this one.

• Total Posts 1046

Both are on my shortlist. Still hard to be confident with any of them though :shock:

Participant
    • Total Posts 6296

I may be odd but I am actually getting more confident as the race gets closer!!
    I think it might be lulling me into a false sense of security though!!
    Come on Arbor Supreme!! :lol:

Viewing 17 posts - 579 through 595 (of 896 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.