The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Grand National 2010

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Grand National 2010

Viewing 17 posts - 528 through 544 (of 896 total)
  • Author
    moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9289

Entered in the Irish National, I think.

• Total Posts 4293

Sorry Milbear, very difficult to get info out of Venetia.

The owner (the non-Flintoff one) has previously been quoted a couple of years ago about the Grand National being the ultimate aim.

Obviously very difficult to train, or else it would have been a regular runner in the Welsh National.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32902

Believe I remember Ven say the Grand National was the aim for Flintoff, but she doubts if he’ll get in. Flintoff has run in the Irish version before.

Is of poor temperament and often makes mistakes. Not ideal for Aintree.

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 32902

Do you think Maljimar will stay?

Eddie Freemantle does a bit on RUK, sometimes on the Kempton evening slot. So it may be possible to e-mail the studio on that day and ask about his National tip.

Value Is Everything
    • Total Posts 980

Can I just say that I that Mon Mome is absolutely useless & Aidan Coleman is even worse. Venetia Williams is a rubbish trainer too.

Last years GN win, the Peter Marsh 4th & the Gold Cup 3rd were all mirages. It was like an episode of FlashForward.

So can people PLEASE stop backing him so I can have a decent price?

:mrgreen:

• Total Posts 1046

23 112313 Backstage 62 8 11-0 Gordon Elliott 148 131 168
    31 183223 Snowy Morning 41 10 10-13 W P Mullins 147 165 166
    33 36-2U1 Big Fella Thanks 35 8 10-12 P F Nicholls 146 136 176
    43 12471P Razor Royale25 8 10-7 N A Twiston-Davies 141 154 177

2 that failed to survive the final cut were

Can’t Buy Time

– he is weak on betfair and mumblings about the Topham persist. Not ruled out entirely but for now. And

Arbor Supreme

. Just too much fannying around with this horse, probably won’t get genuine good ground, whether he needs it or not I don’t know but there’s a minor class issue also. There has been money for him but that’s not enough at this stage.

1. Backstage

19L off Baby Run in the Champion Hunter Chase at Punchestowns on unsuitable ground. He’s basically not stopped improving over the summer and just keeps lagging up with ridiculous ease. Properly in the groove with the right trainer and hits all the basic stats. His final prep was fine, jumped well out of heavy ground he would not have enjoyed, he moved easily enough until slight mistakes 4 and 3 out, jogging home in his own time, and a sunny day on good ground should see a bold effort. Slight query about the 11-0, less would have been great, but can’t have everything!

2. Razor Royale

Has a major engine. Clues from hurdles days, close 4th in G2 over 24f, close 4th in G2 over 21f, 7th in that Ballymore won by Fiveforthree.
    Has steadily returned to the kind of chase class his hurdles form indicated. 7L off Poquelin who was 2nd in the Ryanair now rated in the 160s, and he memorably [Smile] beat Nacarat in the Racing Post Chase, one of the only ones who travelled strongly through a brutal race. Battled and won it too. Plenty of season-course miles on the clock also, something a lot of his rivals will lack.

3. Big Fella Thanks

Again hits every trend. Weighted to be in the mix past the Elbow if he stays well enough. At the prices now I’ll pass but can’t knock his chance just because of that.

4. Snowy Morning

Fails a sub-stat, the last 7 GN winners won a chase of 29k or over. Classy animals. Snowy never has, for all he’s tried. Maybe this explains things, or maybe he’ll win at the 3rd attempt, as has happened before.

for now 8)

Participant
    • Total Posts 274

Cheers for the comments on flintoff. I found last years sportinglife article and the GN was mentioned. With his evident prep and temprement issues I’d still have him at 200/1. That being said I would expect to see him miss the race.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1704

Walsh has opted for Big Fella Thanks. That’s very important… i’m really torn now over who will start favourite. I’m surprised Ruby didn’t gor for Tricky Trickster. Looks like either Christian or Nick is getting the leg up on that one…

And now Treadwell’s on Nozic, so looks like Nichols is booking them early.

It’s been raining over Aintree quite a bit these last few days. Anyone know what the current ground is? I’d love another heavy National!

• Total Posts 10

LO Folks

Been following this thread with interest. Having been brought up with tales of how the Grand National is a lottery, I am amazed at how easy I have found it over the last half dozen years to narrow the race down to a short list of about six and although not always backed (Mon Mome)have always had the winner in the shortlist. Anyway I have already taken a nibble at 66’s and 40’s EW on Chief Dan George. An horse that has not only just won at the Festival but also carried 11-1 into 5th place in last years Scottish National. Its got to be a serious contender off 10-2. Would appreciate some feedback and some arguments against this being a winner. I am thinking of putting some serious money on him.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9289

Touch and go about whether he’ll get into the race; I’d wait till it’s nrnb. Agree about him winning if he gets in. Has got the heart of a lion.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9289

I tnink they’ve booked Treadwell for Nozic because The Sun has leased him for the race [the horse that is!]and Liam is more newsworthy than some jockeys because of last years win. Should still be on Mon Mome imo; gave him a peach of a ride last year.

• Total Posts 10

7 pounds is a lot of extra weight to carry around the 4m 4f or Aintree over those fences and I think if Treadwell thought he had a serious chance of repeating last years win he would still be on Mon Mome. Who imo was an outrageous price last year and I still kick myself that he was in my shortlist and I stupidly allowed the price to put me off.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9289

Mon Mome was one of the first horses I backed [at 33/1]. I’m still kicking myself that I didn’t top my bet up on the day [had it in my head he probably wasn’t going to run]. My biggest priced National winner at 33/1 but I felt cheated!

• Total Posts 1046

Chief Dan George has no chance of getting in, sorry.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1704

Chief Dan George has no chance of getting in, sorry.

Unless both Madison and Notre Pere withdraw, right? Smith said he’d raise George a whole stone if he could…

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9289

I think he might be very close to getting in. Quite a few above him going for the Irish National.

• Total Posts 10

It doesn’t matter if Madison and Notre Pere run or not. The top forty in the weights will get in and since Chief Dan George is currently 57th there needs to be 17 withdrawals. I am crossing my fingers,but since 10-2 has only got into the race once in the last 5 years I am not hopeful. Prior to 2005 10-0 and even horses out of the handicap were regular runners. It just shows how much the quality of this race has improved.

Anyway the bets I already have on CDG are relatively small nibbles at big prices, so I thought them worth the risk. The bigger wager I have had is NRNB. But if and its a big IF he runs, I believe he will take some beating of 10-2. Also I note that there is some confidence in the market.

I am still trawling the field for an alternative.

Viewing 17 posts - 528 through 544 (of 896 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.