The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Golden Jubilee 2009

Home Forums Archive Topics Royal Ascot Archive Royal Ascot 2014 Golden Jubilee 2009

Viewing 17 posts - 69 through 85 (of 175 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Well the Wokingham was faster than the Jubilee for the first time since 2003.

Grimes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1889

To veer from the topic a bit, I feel a bit puzzled why, given that Yalisos twice recorded 54" for 5 furlongs, he was entered for the Golden Jubilee, and not the Kings Stand.

I know he won over 7 and over 6 in Greece, but I wonder if the times were as sensational. I expect so, since Cumani and the owner have surely forgotten more about the business than I’ll ever know. If he hadn’t been barged to beggary maybe he’d have won it or come close very close. Who knows?

Rob V
    • Total Posts 173

Well the Wokingham was faster than the Jubilee for the first time since 2003.

And I believe the Coventry that Canford Cliffs ran was faster than both the Wokingham and the Jubilee :shock:

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

I wouldn’t draw many conclusions from that, don’t like comparing times across days. The ground and wind conditions are so variable from day to day.

Rob V
    • Total Posts 173

I can understand that but the weather and going at Ascot appeared pretty even to me over the meeting. Also, the fact that CC carried more weight than HS and AC says a lot about the potential of the 2 Y O Coventry winner.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Look at the jockey’s silks during the race. IMO they over-watered at some stage on Friday or Saturday.

marbine
    Participant
    • Total Posts 77

"ps to MD
    Imo, Scenic Blast wouldn’t have won the GJ either, nor will he last home in the July Cup, for exactly the reasons above.."

I’m of a different view with Scenic Blast. He has very good 1400m form here in Oz and ran a good 2nd to Weekend Hussler (when that horse was flying) over 1600m in the Caulfield Guineas. In short, IMO, Scenic Blast is a better 1400m horse than Takeover Target & Choisir and if ridden patiently with the speed on can repeat his King Stand’s performance at Newmarket, I’m hoping so anyway ;-)

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Maybe so Marbine, but if you look at the way he had to be driven on his previous run over Flemington’s 5f, then compare it to how easily he travelled at Ascot, you may get some idea of the very different courses they are; unless, of course, you believe Australian horses really are that superior. :wink:
    Welcome to the forum btw.

marbine
    Participant
    • Total Posts 77

Thx reet hard :-)

Not saying that our horses are superior. Some will be, some won’t be. The July Cup looks to be a tougher race with Paco Boy too. He’s also a very good 1400m horse. I am of the belief that a 1400m-1600m horse is required to win the July Cup. I think that Scenic Blast is a good hope but will need things to go his way…

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

One of the best 6f sprints of the year, with hopefully a world class field
    contesting first prize! This year i am hoping the prize stays at home with

Art Connoissor

not because he is 40 on the machine, although he
    should never be that price anyway! I thought last year he was "visually"
    the horse who showed the most explosive turn of foot and that was over
    the same course as the Golden Jubilee itself, in the Coventry, had it been anywhere else you could argue about the possibiity of repeating such a
    performance! What makes the result even more spectacular is that the 2nd and 3rd placed horses Intense focus and Lord Shanakil went on to
    finish 1st and 2nd in the Group 1 Dewhurst! I know Arty had lost his way
    after such an impressive start to his career, but he always looked physically as though a bit of time would do him good! Thats my opinion
    anyway! "Opening Batsman TAPK has just hit a 6"!!

A Timeless piece from the King of Foresight,i never tire from reading it and this year i have the same feeling about a horse who also won the Coventry as a 2yo.

Canford Cliffs

is a horse who has speed to burn and for one with such pace i personally doubt he"ll get home over a mile.So as soon as connections realise this after the 2000gns,the Golden Jubilee will become the obvious target.TAPK has taken 12/1 with his pals Corals after discussions today! Can the legend do it again? :wink:

• Total Posts 4293

Does Showcasing still have a sound mind in a sound body?

Ta.

• Total Posts 4293

Grimthorpe also said the John Gosden-trained Showcasing, winner of the Group 2 Irish Thoroughbred Marketing
    Gimcrack Stakes at York last August, was likely to bypass the 2,000 Guineas – for which he is 33-1 with the sponsor – in favour of a sprint campaign.

The son of Oasis Dream was third to Awzaan in the Group 1 Shadwell Middle Park Stakes at Newmarket last October.

* ARCHIVE
    o » Derby bid ruled out for Stoute’s Classic hope Workforce 7:38pm 21 Feb 2010 :mrgreen:
    o » Abdullah aiming for Group 1 double at Newmarket 7:10am 2 Oct 2009
    o » Layers split over Arcano prospects in 2,000 Guineas 5:55pm 23 Aug 2009
    o » Arabesque assumes star role at York 4:44pm 19 Aug 2009
    o » Arabesque clan play starring role at York 4:29pm 19 Aug 2009
    o » YORK: Showcasing 14-1 for Guineas after Gimcrack win 2:53pm 19 Aug 2009
    o » Falasteen misses Gimcrack after getting cast 10:03am 19 Aug 2009
    o » Radiohead misses Gimcrack for Nunthorpe 11:23am 17 Aug 2009

Well, at least we know this one will turn up.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Wait till after the Duke of York stakes Gerald,if Showcasing can win a Group 2 sprint he could contest the Golden Jubilee!

• Total Posts 4293

The Duke Of York seems to be a bit of an awful race, as to how the horses perform during the rest of the season.

Wouldn’t be too surprised if he went for the Pavilion at Ascot instead.

As you’re one for enjoying aftertiming, blowing your own trumpet, and annoying other people Gordon, and you’re a goodish mate of mine, I thought you’d like to know that collectively, I have just had my best 6 days of punting ever!

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

The Duke Of York seems to be a bit of an awful race, as to how the horses perform during the rest of the season.

Wouldn’t be too surprised if he went for the Pavilion at Ascot instead.

As you’re one for enjoying aftertiming, blowing your own trumpet, and annoying other people Gordon, and you’re a goodish mate of mine, I thought you’d like to know that collectively, I have just had my best 6 days of punting ever!

You are the Man Gerald,keep it up! We all have our own ways of achieving what is ultimately the same result,"To Win"! :lol:

• Total Posts 4293

The ridiculous thing is that very little form study went into it. On the other hand, it is showing that I am beginning to get the know the trainers, horses and even conditional jockeys. Also, I’m indebted to people on here mentioning horses, maybe as long ago as 18 months or before my time, who came good.

Have you got anything for the King’s Stand to take on Nicconi?

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3176

Would imagine he’d go to the Pavilion if they want to start him at 6f or the Temple if they start him over 5f.

The Duke of York (is it open to 3yos?) is generally a tough test first time out for any horse – even more so this year as it’s likely to see the European debut of Starspangledbanner.

Viewing 17 posts - 69 through 85 (of 175 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.