The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Ghislaine Maxwell

Home Forums Lounge Ghislaine Maxwell

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    clivexx
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2680

I haven’t read into the case in its entirety and maybe I’m missing something. Also us sentences are often initially very heavy but 20 years?

I know it was all a bit seedy and personally I don’t get older guys obsessions with 17 year olds but really?

Maybe an element of who she is, who she’s connected to and no doubt all over social media an undercurrent of ethnicity.

Unpopular opinion I bet but this isn’t a truly serious crime at all

Matron
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6463

I kindly you suggest you read about this case in full Clive – I have beeen following it closely.

She was lucky the Judge didn’t give her a longer sentence as they are prone to hand-out in the USA.

“During Maxwell’s trial the court heard how the couple flaunted their riches and prominent connections to lure vulnerable girls as young as 14 and then exploit them.

Prosecutors said Epstein sexually abused underage girls hundreds of times over more than a decade, and could not have done so without the help of Maxwell.”

The ramifications are not over.

Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 29896

“Unpopular opinion I bet but this isn’t a truly serious crime at all”.

————————-

“Unpopular”?

Seems a bloody daft opinion to me?

Why isn’t this a serious crime?

Lock her up and throw away the key.

Value Is Everything
    clivexx
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2680

Well actual sex (rather than facilitiating) with a 14 year old isn’t 20 years everywhere and in some countries it’s legal

https://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/politics/man-38-jailed-for-having-sex-with-14-year-old-girl-in-arranged-marriage-has-sentence-increased-3675270

2 years half suspended

clivexx
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2680

And I’ll say no more other than to leave this here…. USA

By offense type, the median time served was 13.4 years for murder, 2.2 years for violent crimes excluding murder, 17 months for drug trafcking, and 10 months for drug possession. Tis report is based on NCRP data from 44 states.

IanDavies
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5644

Yet more confirmation, as if it was needed….

Sir Cherryade of Hampshire
    ("Chezza" to the proletariat)
    Twitter: https://mobile.twitter.com/Ian_Davies_
    https://www.facebook.com/ThePointtoPointNHandFlatracingpunter/

clivexx
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2680

Of what?

“Godfather”. Lol

Illavim
    Participant
    • Total Posts 316

20 years seems lenient for her despicable crimes.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8490

clivexx. Believe it or not but I always pay attention to what you write and give it a lot of thought. But, in this case you’ve completely shocked me. I can only think (hope) you’re trying to wind people up and don’t really mean what you’ve written.

Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 29896

Others sentences that are too light are no excuse for not giving Maxwell what she deserves, Clive… And we know less about other cases than we do this one. Anyway, her crimes were against numerous under age victims – not just one and not just anyone – which rightly add up to a greater sentence.

Value Is Everything
    IanDavies
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5644

I agree the Maxwell sentence was too severe in the same sense that I think it was wrong the US forces went after Osama Bin Laden.

After all, neither committed serious offences.

Said no one who wasn’t a complete idiot ever.

Sir Cherryade of Hampshire
    ("Chezza" to the proletariat)
    Twitter: https://mobile.twitter.com/Ian_Davies_
    https://www.facebook.com/ThePointtoPointNHandFlatracingpunter/

clivexx
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2680

Moe .. its a greater sentence than even an average murder. I thinks that is simply OTT

clivexx
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2680

Is there a blocking facility here?

Someone who makes a big thing about the fact that they don’t interact with those that are blah blah blah and then footnotes virtually every post with a snide comment Rather getting on my nerves and a bit creepy and weird

clivexx
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2680

And thank you moe. Same here too

Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 29896

Murder is the worst crime however.

Rape and / or organising the rape of minors is the second worst crime.

Point is these awful crimes were committed multiple times over a 10 year period.

So her multiple crimes add up to worse than a murder.

Then there’s sex trafficking to consider.

Didn’t seem to take any real responsibility for her actions.

Psychological damage she’s inflicted on these girls.

The sentence should add up, Clive.

Value Is Everything
    moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8490

Murder should be life imprisonment imo. The dead person has lost their life and the people who loved them have been given a life sentence of grief. Interesting discussion on Womens Hour the other day about how people regard crimes against women in the light of the latest woman to be murdered whilst walking home.

Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5704

By offense type, the median time served was 13.4 years for murder, 2.2 years for violent crimes excluding murder, 17 months for drug trafcking, and 10 months for drug possession

Those figures are very likely to be significantly lower than the initial sentence, due to parole; and it’s quite possible that Maxwell too will actually be banged-up for rather less than the full 20 years, unless that was a stipulated minimum term

Can’t find anything more up to date, but this article from 2016 (Table 1 corroborates your figures) indicates that the average time served was 46% of sentence given, with Table 3 listing it by crime

https://bjs.ojp.gov/content/pub/pdf/tssp16.pdf

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.