The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Germany

Home Forums Horse Racing Germany

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Gerald
    • Total Posts 4293

There were listed or group races at three different German courses yesterday. Was it some kind of public holiday?

Gerald
    • Total Posts 4293

Its okay – I managed to work it out by myself, whilst having breakfast.

I had originally been wondering what event from Germany’s past was being celebrated, but then I realised that I had written in the Stan James thread that it is seven weeks since Easter Monday. I think the real Whit Sunday is 7 weeks after Easter, so it must have been WhitMonday yesterday.

Dallimann
    • Total Posts 138

yes, it was Gerald…

the Germans are world champions in all kinds of holidays…think they have more Bank Holidays than anywhere else.

PS…don’t know if you remember the horse "Der Spieler"…we bought our co owners out and he just runs under my name now. Trained in Ireland, enjoying a summer break before a winter campaign.

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3177

Dallimann – the Spanish are the kings of the Bank Holiday, they have one every thursday.

Dallimann
    • Total Posts 138

really…let’s get to Spain… :o

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8393

What are the plans for Der Spieler? He never actually ran in the Triumph, did he? [fed up of bank holidays; have to work twice as hard in the run up to them, and spend most of my life waking up and trying to decide if I have to get up or not…….].

Gerald
    • Total Posts 4293

Hi Dallimann

Beverley doesn’t seem a very Germanic name – were you originally one of us?

Ireland – that means he will run on the wrong going, over an inadequate trip, for 2 and a half years, before coming over here and winning one of our valuable handicaps.

You’ve got a versatile horse there – Hurdles, Flat or All-Weather at Dundalk.

Gerald

Dallimann
    • Total Posts 138

No, because his prep race in Huntingdon was abandoned due to snow. but, now we realise he wouldn’t have been good enough anyway, so maybe it was the best thing that could have happened to him. We got an offer before Cheltenham, but my husband and I wanted to keep him, so we did. We sent him to Ireland in February (no use keeping him here in Germany, not enough hurdle opportunities) to be trained on The Curragh by Jimmy Coogan who has a small lot. He ran end of March in Downpatrick, 4th, decent enough after a 3 month break, then, he went to Cork 2 weeks later, 3rd, think it was to soon between races. And then on the 10th of May he won well in Killarney. He ran once more on the flat, 2nd last and since yesterday he’s out to grass for 6 weeks, a well deserved rest, it all happened rather quick for him. My family live in Kildare, so the horse is well looked after (my sister is married to the trainers brother), and I get more trips to Ireland.. :)
    Plan is, after the break, give him a of pipeopener on the flat, and then hope to pick up a decent prize somewhere, he’s won his maiden there and believe me that is not an easy task in Ireland.

Dallimann
    • Total Posts 138

yep Gerald, I’m one of you..

and yes, the good thing about him is he’s very versatile, although we learnt from his one run on the flat over 2 miles…he’s not a stayer on the flat 1m 2f is his trip…so probably Dundalk.. :)

and he loves jumping..he’ll make his way.

AngloGerman
    • Total Posts 602

My word – so ‘Dallimann’ is Beverley the Yorkshire Rose!! :D

Don’t worry, incase you think you’ve got a stalker, I’m Darren, the mad fat bloke you met at Kempton when I was working for the owners of Fiepes Shuffle. Yes, I’m still following Der Spieler – I always give Christian reports on how he does in his races, and we were both over the moon when he won at Killarney. I noticed that the owners name had changed from BBC to yours as well. By the way, not sure if you knew – I was the one who broke the news to Christian to say that Huntingdon was abandoned the time Der Spieler was due to run. Not a text I enjoyed sending to be honest, and I didn’t appreciate getting up at 5:00 in the morning either!! :D

PS: Not sure if you’ve seen it, but there was a photo doing the rounds of me leading in Fiepes Shuffle (Flipper) at Kempton in a rather over excited fashion, and your hubby is standing just behind me looking at me as if to say ‘What an idiot’!! Can’t say I blame him!!

PPS: I’m over in Germany next week during ‘Fronleichnam’, taking in the racing at Frankfurt and Mannheim – not sure if any of your horses will be running, but if so hope to see you there!!

Darren – AngloGerman

‘The Hungarian’s going hell for leather’ – Jim McGrath

Dallimann
    • Total Posts 138

Hi Darren,

course I remember you…what a great day Kempton was…Fiepes winning the big one and Der Spieler finishing third…

no, none of the Stall BBC horses entered to run next week… Ucantmissme got galopped into at Dieppe a couple of weeks ago, so we’ll have to wait for him…the other 2 are 2 year olds…

but, Der Spieler is my baby… :)

Dallimann
    • Total Posts 138

just for info…"Dallimann" was the nickname of one of my pet rabbits… :)

AngloGerman
    • Total Posts 602

Hi Darren,

course I remember you…what a great day Kempton was…Fiepes winning the big one and Der Spieler finishing third…

As you can probably guess from the fact I told you about 200 times, (sorry about that, it was the rum and coke that Nicky Henderson kept buying me!!), it was one of the best days of my life. It was the third time I’d represented the owners – 3rd in Sandown and then the first fence fall in the Tingle Creek – and then the dream came true! But Der Spieler ran a great race – I know Andrew Tinkler wasn’t the first choice jockey, but what a fabulous ride he gave him! The winner is one of the top hurdlers in England, so it really was a great performance.

no, none of the Stall BBC horses entered to run next week… Ucantmissme got galopped into at Dieppe a couple of weeks ago, so we’ll have to wait for him…the other 2 are 2 year olds…

Yes, Christian mentioned this – didn’t Peters horse run at the same meeting, and both returned injured if I remember correctly? Hope the horse is recovering! As for one of your 2 year olds, I think it’s the first crop of Koenigstiger foals – be interesting to see how he does.

but, Der Spieler is my baby… :)

And rightly so! When you’ve got a horse as good as that, I guess you have a bit of a quandary about where he’s trained – with Christian, you could go to Baden-Baden for one of their Listed hurdles (Roulette-Preis is worth 12,000 Euros), pop over the border to France, or maybe go down to Merano in Italy, but as you say, there’s much more choice in the UK and Ireland, and with the family connection, it makes sense to go with Mr. Coogan really.

Anyway, great to hear from you again, hope you and hubby are well, and who knows – might see you in the winners enclosure in the UK sometime soon maybe!!! :D

Darren – AngloGerman

Dallimann
    • Total Posts 138

I’m sure our paths will cross again Darren, hopefully… :)

by the way, Koenigstiger had his first runner in Baden Baden, and it was a winner!

and, yes, Kempton, like Killarney are days to remember….

is Skin Man or Donna Roberta under orders in Frankfurt or Mannheim?

Dallimann
    • Total Posts 138

oh, and yes, Peters horse also ran in Dieppe, lost a shoe, but she’s ok now…thank goodness….small, but all heart.. :)

AngloGerman
    • Total Posts 602

I’m sure our paths will cross again Darren, hopefully… :)

by the way, Koenigstiger had his first runner in Baden Baden, and it was a winner!

Ooops – I missed that one completely!! Koenigstiger was always held in high regard by Peter Schiergen when he trained him, and I’ll think his progeny could do really well.

and, yes, Kempton, like Killarney are days to remember….

is Skin Man or Donna Roberta under orders in Frankfurt or Mannheim?

Well, Skinny has got an entry at Frankfurt, but he’s also in a race at Hassloch on Sunday – I don’t think we’re decided on where he’s going to run at the moment. I actually booked the flight ages ago so it was a case of ‘if one of our horses are running, it’s a bonus really’. If he runs at Frankfurt, it’ll be brilliant, although I’ve not bought the horses much luck this season – I was at Dortmund, Mannheim and Muelheim where results were on the whole disappointing, but I was unable to make Baden-Baden where both Skinny and Donna ran really well, helpded by a top jockey though – Andrasch Starke rode both of them, and a top job he did too. Skinny will probably run in blinkers for the first time. We’ve got nothing planned for Mannheim, but there’s a steeplechase for international amateur jockeys, so if they need an interpreter, I’ll be offering my services!! As for Donna, nothing planned yet, but she’s well, and we’re quite optimistic for next time.

Oh, and nice to hear Peters horse is OK – those races at Dieppe sounded a bit on the rough side!

Darren – AngloGerman

Dallimann
    • Total Posts 138

Anking..won the Kaselowsky Rennen…

Koenigstiger was a brilliant 2 year old and so will probably bring early offspring…

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.