The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Framing the Grand National weights

Home Forums Horse Racing Framing the Grand National weights

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Prufrock
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2081

From Racing Post:

"BHA senior handicapper Phil Smith will this morning begin the first of five 14-hour days poring over the 150 potential runners in this year’s John Smith’s Grand National…..Speaking on the eve of his deliberations – the outcome of which will be revealed on Tuesday – Smith said….."I’ll start some time tomorrow morning, probably at 6 a.m., and finish at 8 p.m., and it will be the same on Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday. Because of the number of entries, I’ll be asked to submit the weights as early as possible on Monday, but I doubt it will be done before 8 p.m…..One of the big jobs is deciding which horse gets top weight….."

Next week, Phil Smith explains how to change a light bulb in 27 easy steps: "First you have to put aside at least a long weekend for the task….."

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6965

Next week, Phil Smith explains how to change a light bulb in 27 easy steps: "First you have to put aside at least a long weekend for the task….."

…followed by an equally tortuous guide to doing the Hokey Cokey.

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

JimF
    Participant
    • Total Posts 111

I once bought a fairly expensive lightbulb at Sainsbury’s, got it home and found that it didn’t work. The next day I joined the lengthy Customer Services queue and waited my turn. The lady behind the counter looked rather formidable, doing an exhaustive cross examination on each returned item. It got to my turn and I said that the bulb didn’t work, she sternly replied "In what way doesn’t it work, explain to me how you know it doesnt work?". As I explained about removing old bulb, putting new bulb in socket and flicking the light switch I heard the couple behind me in the queue say, "Fred, lets go home, there is no way that you can explain our problem". Fred was holding one of those self assembly furniture packs. :lol:

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3181

Step 2 "go down to Asda and buy 6 large bottles of Scotch.."

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

In England they sometimes ask how many so and so’s does it take to change a lightbulb.

In Thailand they ask how many light bulbs does it take to change a Thai.

Lovely people but give them 5 keys and tell them one will open a door, they will discuss it for two hours before one of them decides to try putting one of them in the lock and trying it.

But to the point at hand I find his statement about which one will be top weight amazing..I would like a bet there are at least 5 good judges on here that could tell us within 15 minutes which horse would be…..strange man he probably thinks of horses like a teller looks at money in a bank

Happy Jack
    Participant
    • Total Posts 515

Here’s a radical idea that could be used for the framing of the National weights, although it is so far out of left field that Phil Smith would probably think I would need sectioning if I ever suggested it to him.

A) Switch on computer, bring up the list of National entries.
    B) Click icon which says "allocate official handicap mark to all entries"
    C) Turn off computer
    D) Take rest of the day off

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

I’m absolutely astounded by Phil Smith’s statement. He does adhere to HJ’s rules for 90% of the entries, so how does tweaking the mark of 15-20 horses (tops) take him 5 full days?

Just goes to show, even handicappers aren’t averse to taking their boss for a ride and spending ‘overtime’ down the pub!

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3181

Think I’m going to try this myself – handicap the race ala pricing it up and backing everything that I have lower than the official handicapper :)

carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

Reckon he’d starve if he was punting for a living…..

Charlie D
    • Total Posts 500

…One of the big jobs is deciding which horse gets top weight….."

Couple of minutes looking at entries and i decided Beef or Salmon

guskennedy
    • Total Posts 759

You beat me to it, Pru. I laughed out loud when I read the piece on Smith and the comments he made.

He’ll basically leave the top weights about 7lbs better off with horses lower down the ratings than would be the case based on official ratings and he’ll add a few pounds on for horses with decent form over the Aintree fences. Should take, I don’t know, a couple of hours at the most.

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

Haven’t we all been guilty of "bigging-up" our job? :wink:

Colin

jodami16
    • Total Posts 27

Can someone please create a system for the poor man.

If form at Aintree = good + 5lbs
    If winner of 3+ Grade ones = – 5lbs
    If else = +/- 0lbs

Lord, that was knackering!!! :x

Marcus Weedon
    Participant
    • Total Posts 66

Just goes to show, even handicappers aren’t averse to taking their boss for a ride and spending ‘overtime’ down the pub!

This shocking allegation should be of course be refuted. Sorry I couldn’t reply earlier, but they don’t have a wireless network at my local.

LetsGetRacing
    • Total Posts 1147

If I told my boss that it was going to take me upwards of 70 hours to look at 150 names, written next to 150 numbers and write another 150 numbers alongside, I’d be out the door quicker than Fallon during a drugs raid.

At the weekend I think I might actually have a crack at forming the National weights, just to see how long it takes. And, after that hour has passed, I’ll sit back and watch Liverpool lose…again :evil:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.