The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Food for thought

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    empty walletempty wallet
    • Total Posts 1631

I hope author and BF don’t mind, but i thought the topic was worthy of an airing on TRF

Youth before experience<br>09.01.07 15.00 GMT

It is about 150 years since Admiral Rous came up with his first weight-for-age scale, and if some are to be believed not a lot has changed since then.

The principle that – all other things being equal – a young horse needs an allowance in order to be competitive against its elders is difficult to deny. But the details of how much this allowance should be, and at what age and in what circumstances it ceases to be relevant, are much more open to dispute.

The breeding and training of racehorses has evolved over the years, and racehorse performance has altered as a consequence. One significant development has been that many jumpers are more precocious than were their forebears.

<br>While there are still those prepared to stick a “storeâ€ÂÂ

empty walletempty wallet
    • Total Posts 1631

Quote: from thedarkknight on 11:07 am on Jan. 11, 2007[br]I don’t believe SR wrote that.

He would never use a blunt tool like "number of winners" to justify his point….:o

<br>Maybe two Simon Rowlands about

(Edited by empty wallet at 11:18 am on Jan. 11, 2007)

Prufrock
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2081

And number of places, to be fair!

In all seriousness, it is not easy to do the old average cumulative lengths beaten thing when you have significant non-finishers, as in jumps racing…much less explain the even more complicated concept that would result…

Suggestions for alternatives will be gratefully received.

(Edited by Prufrock at 8:50 pm on Jan. 11, 2007)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.