The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Flapping

Home Forums Horse Racing Flapping

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 104 total)
  • Author
    Shadow Leader
    • Total Posts 763

Quote: from Shadow Leader on 8:29 pm on June 6, 2007[br]<br>There’s a big flapping culture [horses] in Wales as well – quite a few years ago I knew a guy who was a big flapping jockey there.  He also held a licence to ride in Arab racing and the "powers that be" threatened more than once to strip him of that licence due to the strong rumours about him riding flapping.  <br>

…..and lo and behold, there is a picture of him in today’s RP!  Ladies and gentlemen, I present you with Harry Lewis – flapping jockey extraordinaire!!!!!!!

Glenn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1981

An Apology

Earlier in the thread I might have left some people with the impression that racing at Kempton Park is in some way comparable to flapping at Hawick.

Having been contacted by the track, I would like to make a full retraction and unreserved apology for any offence caused…….to Hawick.

The racing there is nothing like Kempton. They have crowds twenty times the size, lush turf to race on, perfectly edible and reasonably priced fast food. Oh, and their field sizes aren’t dictated by a bunch of gangsters.

(Edited by Glenn at 11:22 pm on June 10, 2007)

Wallace
    Participant
    • Total Posts 862

Thanks Glenn, nice one:biggrin:

Jane
    Participant
    • Total Posts 50

No winners for Fran Ferris but a couple of places…

Hawick News

(Edited by Jane at 5:25 pm on June 24, 2007)

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3181

This line sums flapping up quite nicely "Irish runner Monday’s Joy, which was bet from 4/1 into 4/7 favourite – he obliged with a late run"

Also as a side note wasn’t Go For Gold once a runner/winner of the 12f Group 3 for 3yos at Glorious Goodwood for Aidan O’Brien?

Jane
    Participant
    • Total Posts 50

Found this in the Racing Post:

Bumper winner Chestnut Charlie barred from racing after running in flapper

Published: 20/06/2007 (News) Brian Fleming<br>DUAL bumper winner Chestnut Charlie, a leading fancy for the championship race at the Aintree Grand National meeting that had to be abandoned, has been barred from running in Ireland after he was found to have taken part in flapping races under a different name before scoring at Downpatrick and Limerick this year, writes Brian Fleming.<br>At a Turf Club hearing yesterday, County Tyrone trainer Lindsay Woods was fined  500 after he was found to be in breach of rule 148 (vi) before a committee chaired by Gordon Holmes and assisted by Mary Onions and Charles Cunningham.<br>The investigation found the horse had run under the name of The Boxer when winning a flapping race at Boyle in August last year.<br>Under present rules, any horse who runs at any unrecognised meeting is not qualified to be entered or to run in any race. Before winning that race last year, The Boxer had previously finished only sixth in the Dingle Derby.<br>The matter was referred to the referrals committee following investigations led by Jimmy Johnston, head of security at the Turf Club, and the five-year-old was subsequently disqualified from his two wins, at Downpatrick in February and at Limerick in March.<br>The 2 6 – length runner-up at Downpatrick, the Neill McLuskey-trained Drumboy, and the runner-up at Limerick, the Sean Aherne-trained Cailin Vic Mo Cri, were awarded the races.<br>The referrals committee deemed Terence McGowan, registered as the owner of Chestnut Charlie when the horse finished second in a Kelso bumper in January, not to be in breach of any rule.<br>Chestnut Charlie was not qualified to run in any races after August 27, 2006 in accordance with the provisions of rule 87.<br>During the hearing, the committee considered evidence from Woods, who admitted that he returned Chestnut Charlie to training in the name of Terence McGowan for a period of time when the horse was in fact the property of Fiona McConnell. The committee also considered written evidence from McGowan.<br>Denis Egan, the Turf Club’s chief executive, said after yesterday’s hearing: "It is very unfortunate for any owner to lose two races in this way, but people entering racing need to be aware of the rules. Had they been aware of the rules in this case, the issues that the referrals committee had to deal with today would not have needed to be addressed." <br>

bimble
    Participant
    • Total Posts 77

Looking through the results in the Hawick News , I noticed <br>   that Robbie Fitzpatrick , the banned jockey , rode a winner ,<br>   on Taff Trail . I assume this means he has given up any <br>   hope of resuming his career under Rules . I believe he was <br>   banned for three years .<br>  

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3181

Actually TS I’m not certain it’s the same horse as that Go For Gold was running for Satish Seemar earlier this year in Dubai

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4819

I’m really gutted reading about Chestnut Charlie. I put him down as one to follow after his second at Kelso. He duly obliged at Downpatrick and Limerick, and I was looking forward to seeing him race over hurdles. Presuming that ‘flappers’ in Ireland are also banned in Britain then he won’t be racing over hurdles.

What a waste of a talented animal!

Rob

Monkey
    Participant
    • Total Posts 141

This is the opening paragraph of an excellent article on Dingle races which appeared two years ago in Cara, the Aer Lingus in-flight magazine.

The words flow at staccato pace from Dingle Tom, the legendary voice of the Dingle Races. "Rising Tide moving well in the middle; Need For Speed will need more speed; Happy Gilmore not looking happy. They’re approaching the Wooorld Faaamous Beenbane cornerrrr!!!" The crowd responds with a roar, partially for the horses, partially for Tom.

I’ve been to a few flapping meetings over the years in Connemara, at Oughterard, Omey and Clifden. The cards will typically include a premier open race, worth about €2,000, a couple of pony races and at least one race restricted to locally owned and bred horses. Entertainment is guaranteed.

jb-smith
    • Total Posts 1

The horse you mentioned Chestnut Charlie wasn’t flapping while racing on the track so surely it shouldn’t matter what he did previous how are they meant to know if a horse is any good before putting it on the track without flapping surely there must be some kind of loop hole the owner can get through for the horse to race again

non vintage
    • Total Posts 1268

Given that there is clearly a market for this kind of less formal, less regulated flat racing, perhaps some version of the point-to-point season for low grade/misfit/declining flat horses might go down a storm?

It could take racing out into the wilds (as pointing does) and bring it to a wider audience, and give opportunities to former banded bandits. Also, the faster ground in the summer wouldn’t be so much of a problem as it is for pointers and field sizes might hold up quite well…

There are already plenty of courses out there!

:?:

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

I lived in Hawick for many years and every year they have the common Riding…starts off in the town centre where some poor guy like Jim Rewick od Norrie Pender bot ex Hawick and Scotland Rugby player get the privelage of holding a horn full of snuff. The a few thousand border maniacs full of Black Rum and Milk at 5.30 am charge at yoiu and try and get a pinch of snuff out of the horn……. Later in the they head up into the hills for the Flappping which is just the same as going to Hexam without the fringes……..they got beer tents and food tents and more beer tents and lots of bookies…..most of hwich have got about 200 quid in there satchels abut a few prepared to lay a decent bet,

A very close knit community in the years I went and the guys in the know were the same guys year after year. Horse called Glasgow Alhambra was the star attraction and I think he won the big race 3 or maybe 4 years on the trot……….Tips wer always flying about most of which were pulled out hat by some drunk, which covers about everyone……….Some jockeys were pretty decent though but others were a danger to other and to themselves. I was asked to ride a few times but never did……..I was chatting to Nigel and Colin Tinkler one day and one of them commented it would be safer riding in the national blidfolded that it would be riding among that lot……..he wasn’t wrong real tough bunch of guys who give no one any quarter and some would put you through the rails as quick as look at you…..they have got a thing about smart asses from the big cities in the Borders…still it’s a fun day and would recommend it to anyone who likes a good drink………just don’t be getting into an argument with the border boys. they love a good rumble and are built like The Rock

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7856

Mr. Fist – did you ever know guy called Adam Pringle who once owned Playlord? [apologies if it’s way before your time!!!!] and do they have flapping races around Berwick/Kelso? I’m quite fascinated by all this….

Venusian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1665

Given that there is clearly a market for this kind of less formal, less regulated flat racing, perhaps some version of the point-to-point season for low grade/misfit/declining flat horses might go down a storm?

It could take racing out into the wilds (as pointing does) and bring it to a wider audience, and give opportunities to former banded bandits. Also, the faster ground in the summer wouldn’t be so much of a problem as it is for pointers and field sizes might hold up quite well…

…something like the Picnic Racing they have in Victoria

http://www.picnicracing.com.au/AboutPicnicRacing.html

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 104 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.