The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Films…..

Home Forums Lounge Films…..

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 380 total)
  • Author
    Nixer
    • Total Posts 105

Great call EC,

THE OUTLAW JOSEY WALES

Brilliant

Participant
    • Total Posts 6853

Another one for me – because of the driving sequences again – is a film called Ronin starring Robert De Niro.

There is a car chase through Paris which is superb.

Regards- Matron<br>:cool:

Participant
    • Total Posts 6853

Nice one Grashopper!:biggrin:

Regards- Matron<br>:cool:

Participant
    • Total Posts 6010

Desert Island Flicks in no particular order:

The Man Who Would Be King<br>http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073341/

Casablanca<br>http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0034583/

Brief Encounter<br>http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0037558/

Far trom the Madding Crowd<br>http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0061648/

The Italian Job<br>http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064505/

Get Carter<br>http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067128/

If…<br>http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063850/

North by Northwest<br>http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0053125/

Bubbling under and the token post ’70s effort to prove I’ve had at least one night out since then:

The Shining<br>http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081505/

Other than those I could quite happily slip into senility accompanied by nothing more than Carry On films and  the Ealing Comedies: Carry on up the Khyber and The Man in the White Suit my favs.

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9230

Nice one GH (but were the Beatles actually at Woodstock)!!

Another few which have sprouted to mind –

If – pointed out by Drone and a fantastic film<br>Quadrophenia<br>Walkabout – worth watching just for Jenny Agutter in the all-together but a great film<br>The Wicker Man<br>Clockwork Orange<br>Paris, Texas<br>Blue Velvet (indeed anything by David Lynch really)

<br>The list could go on and on as there is so much brilliant stuff.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5686

<br>  :old:

Grass, full on, but whether you re-floated the yellow sub<br> is a matter between you, Caine, and the rippling audience :laugh:

I b line to Drone whose night out capped all of its genre..<br> in fact I would have double plugged it myself<br> but  Pyscho can’t live with such a ‘vyeingly’ similar demon.

The Torrance’s beautify the edge of reason whillst<br> the loony camera corridors scare the red blood out of the lift,<br> while the snow adds temperature,<br> but it’s Lloyd who pulls the rug from beneath Jack – almost.

The bar scene is the most haunting in all of cinema’s history -<br> Lloyd is quintissential<br>

Participant
    • Total Posts 6010

I like you, Gamble. I always liked you. You were always the best of them.

Great party isn’t it?

• Total Posts 2432

The Man Who Would Be King – adapted from Rudyard Kiplin’s story, Sean Connery and Michael Caine seek fame, fortune and glory in the Hindu Khush, in the early days of the Raj.

Grasshopper, top call. My favourite film ever.

Also: The Wild Bunch, The Shining, Italian Job, Get Carter, The Good The Bad and The Ugly, Trilogy of Terror, Apocalypse Now, Race With The Devil, High Plains Drifter and Jackie Brown, all off the top of my head.<br>

Participant
    • Total Posts 5686

:old: mad max interrupter

Drone no-one invited me to the party,<br>but I do detect the sound of distant drums<br>and hazard them<br>to be a snap happy rendering of the death watch jive.

Your supporting words are well appreciated <br>and for them, I will let you into a little secret ;<br>I am at the end of a very old tether<br>as these trick houses have cost me<br>my youth, wealth, and the best part of my sanity.

Forget the smell and back to the filums…

I was driving a long time ago<br> in brilliant sunshine in a low state of the art lotus<br> counting the seven hills of Rome that splattered<br> my windscreen.<br> Blasting on the ga ga was Hawaii five-o<br> and for a few rare seconds the front wheels rose<br> actually leaving the tarmac and I was Lord.

In the same vein the very old Bonds<br> score dramatically as grandiose art pieces.

<br> flatcapgamble… <br>                just a dog’s point of view..<br>                but if work is said to be so healthy for human bemeans<br>                why are so few of the sick working ?

Participant
    • Total Posts 862

Fantastic film Drone.

Assuming you’re quoting True Romance that is :biggrin:

insomniac
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

Thanks for all your suggestions – quitre a few I haven’t yet seen, so I’ll try and watch them in the coming months.  I particularly like mafia & sci-fi films.<br>Dare I ask Gamble if he’s into sci-fi ?

Participant
    • Total Posts 5686

<br>  :old:

Insomniac I am science witching but prefer my own term the frontier film…

I have much enjoyed my bandit quixotic forays<br>      into the racing section, but very much like the<br>     man found crouching in the corner of the royal enclosure<br>     in a pink double breasted nipple suit as the titled lady <br>     screamed over to her partner..  

" Oh Henry look at these enormous cheeks and you know how much I like a brown velvet slice and just hope he’s hiding a coffee stain !"

…you soon get found out.. particulalrly with the sequel !

back to frontier, well erm Wallace and Grommit’s fine chickabiddy adventure screamed out for some Kubrik Nuggets to slow down the beginning I imagined for it – where Wallace enjoys a lazy cup of tea in a dither chair.

the ultimate frontier

Kubriks 2001 a space Oddyssey managed to turn Arthur C Clarke into a krypton coloured Clark Kent wearing goofy bi-foculs but still captured the essence to manufacture a masterpiece. Any film that starts with real monkeymen is guaranteed to get the box office full of suits, but in reality it was the breathtaking silences in dark space time and craft views that made up for Kubrik limbing out and using the hand of god to warp Clark’s vision.

Directors take note of the Casablance silences

I never saw Star Wars I was out of the country !

:ohno: wilsonl on the subject of love, if Halle Berry had been in Wuthering and caught a whiff of Clark Gable’s halitosis she’d have had to decide " do I or don’t I ?" Leigh had class and got stuck in.

Your words similarly, although dipped in a rarely seen sewer juice still survive the intoxication and bring a titter.

<br>  flatcapgamble… Anyone for a doughnut ? :biggrin:

tooting
    • Total Posts 379

I collected my fave 200 films on video over the years – feel like a bit of an idiot now I’m having to upgrade them.

One thing I found was that many of the films I love I didn’t actually want to watch that much when given the free choice, say of a Saturday night.  

I had to be in the right mood for them. They were either too violent, or too long, or too depressing, or sub-titled (not one foreign language film mentioned so far?).

Or my wife wouldn’t watch them again, or once even.

Many of them have already been mentioned.

So from my 200 videos I really have just several that I have watched time after time after time after time. They may not be the greatest but these are  the 10 most watched!

The Big Chill

When Harry Met Sally

Local Hero

A Few Good Men

Something Wild

Broadway Danny Rose

The Commitments

Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid

Love and Death

An Officer and a Gentleman (oops).

Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

Delicatessen ~ not just a trip round a fancy butcher shop I assure you.

zilzal
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1308

Let’s have some feedback on  "The Wind that Shakes the Barley". I presume it’s overhyped and  overrated  just like United 93 – a glorified  reconstruction TV film with no characterisation of note.

Even the best reviewers seem to  oversell movies these days !!

Pat123
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3078

AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON – great horror comedy with my boyhood fantasy Jenny Agutter, you can’t beat a bit of posh totty.

THE LONG GOOD FRIDAY – Bob Hoskins, brilliant!!!

THE FRENCH CONNECTION – Popeye Doyle one of the great cops.

THE WIZARD OF OZ – We’re off to see the wizard……..

Pat123
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3078

Great line from a great film, Grasshopper.

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 380 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.