The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Films…..

Home Forums Lounge Films…..

Viewing 17 posts - 290 through 306 (of 380 total)
  • Author
    moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9301

Saw ‘Up’ this afternoon; can’t recommend it enough for anyone aged 5 to 95..recommend it even more to anyone who owns dogs or has creeky joints in the morning. Can’t remember the last time I laughed and cried so much during a film. [Other than Toy Story I usually hate Pixar films, as well].

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

The Hangover….Laughed out loud for 90 minutes….er, not a classic but great fun. I’m showing my age and immaturity. (I’m 37 and immature)

Yep,that is one funny film! Tyson never embarrased himself either! :lol:

Participant
    • Total Posts 3442

Why watch new films when you’ve got the likes of:-
    Dr Zhivago (original)
    Goodbye Mr. Chips (original)
    The Railway Children (original)
    Gumshoe (Albert Finney)
    Lonesome Dove

Just leave me permanently on a desert island with the above.

Agree with the premiss if not your selections, would just have the 1 out of your 5.
    Lord knows what the new Spartacus is like when compared to the Kirk Douglas masterpiece.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9301

I hurt my leg a couple of years ago and spent a good few weeks catching up with lots of films that I hadn’t got round to seeing. Have got the same problem I have had since the invention of video…when I record something I feel as if it’s an extension of my memory and therefore don’t get round to watching it; likewise with dvds. On the subject of Kirk Douglas, The Vikings is a stand out film from way back. Seeing Avatar tomorrow at the childrens matinee we go to on Sunday afternoons. £2 a ticket; pretty good value!

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9301

Avatar; truly amazing, and unfortunately it wasn’t in 3D either. Understand why it won so many Baftas but not Oscars now:just a tad anti American. Went there determined to think it was a load of twaddle, and loved every last second of it.

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

Avatar; truly amazing, and unfortunately it wasn’t in 3D either. Understand why it won so many Baftas but not Oscars now:just a tad anti American. Went there determined to think it was a load of twaddle, and loved every last second of it.

Loved avatar aswell moe, and like yourself alkso saw a copy so no 3d but want to go and watch it at cinema whilst am back in uk.

Also recently watched The International, which I quite liked. Also liked Daybreakers, not into horror movies but thought it was pretty good.

One that wasnt really a movie as such but a video of a stage act was Will Ferrell – Your Welcome America, where he pretends to be George W Bush for about an hour and a half, summarising his presidency, was pretty funny for the most part.

Saw an advert recently for a new Robin Hood movie with Russell Crowe which looked pretty decent, and saw an advert for some movie called the Wolfman (I think) which although is another horror movie looks pretty good and has anthony hopkins and benicio del torro from what i could see.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9301

The bit in Avatar where the riders ‘connected’ with the horse like creatures and became at one with them made me think of Cheltenham next week and, not for the first time in the film my eyes just welled up with tears!

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

Have just watched THE COVE which won best documentary at the oscars. This is very disturbing to watch if you love animals but is absolutely unmissable and made me just want to do something to help out. Everybody needs to watch this IMO, informative, horrific but hopefully successful in it’s aim.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9301

Crazy Heart; was bored out of my brains. Think someone saw The Wrestler and thought it was a formula that could be repeated, but with no story, wooden dialogue and no Mickey Rourke.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1141

Watching one of me old favourite’s at the minute…Kes! Brian Glover brilliant as Bobby Charlton for Man Utd.. :lol:

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9301

Just seen The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, and I think anyone who enjoyed the Wallander [Swedish, not English]series will love this. It’s a bit like a very gory Stephen Poliakoff… an everyday tale of murder, incest, sado masochism, racism

but with [not sure how they managed it] a few laughs on the way. I understand the book is pretty damned good as well, and there are two more books [and films] to look forward to. As someone who tends to be a bit prudish, I’m not sure why I enjoyed it so much, but it could be to do with the fact that it’s Swedish, so that makes it ok. An American version is on it’s way [why?]. Not a film to watch with your granny.

marjory_daws
    • Total Posts 9

I watched The Crazies the other day which was really good. Its a remake of a George Romero film from the 1970s, and is about a mysterious chemical that infects a small towns water supply turning them into murderous ‘zombies’ (although not really zombies, more like 28dayslater type infected)and i guess is similar in that it is like

, in terms of its popularity

It was a really good film, although the scary bits were generally the standard Hollywood ‘makes you jump’ thing

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

The Hurt Locker.

Good film. The one thing it does highlight is that those bomb disposal experts have nerves of steel, are the bravest guys on the planet and worth every penny they are paid.

I preferred Crazy Heart though, starring Jeff Bridges a – and who, in my opinion, was rightly awarded the best actor Oscar for his outstanding performance as the, ageing, alcohlic, one time big star country & western singer.

Not before time. Bridges is a superb actor.

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

clivexx
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2702

Hurt locker is a superb film IMO. Gripping and insightful whilst avoiding cliches or judgement

I agree about crazy Heart. Bridges pitched performance just right avoiding "look at me" rubbish. Colin Farrell was a weird choice for his role though

Father of my children is a fine french drama. Looks like a downbeat subject, but is a sometimes uplifting and iunteresting drama

greenhill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7

Hi everyone great thread,i was never much interested in tv or films,but after buying the wide screen and sound system this has changed.

Two i watched recently are both worth seeing but not as good as i expected,Harry Brown and The Firm.

One that i had not watched for years,but had forgotten how enjoyable it is a low budget film called Restless Natives.Which i would recommend.

My favorite from last year was RED brian cox just gets better with age?.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9301

I’ve just missed Father of my Chilldren; it finished a few days ago.Pity about that because I usually find subtitles easier to deal with at the cinema than on dvd. Seeing The Headless Woman tomorrow, Scouting for Boys on Thursday and Exit via the Gift Shop on Friday. Might as well just move into my local cinema! I’ve got a theory that Banksy isn’t one person but several people, but I’m probably wrong.

Participant
    • Total Posts 120

Do you have a favourite film which has everything…good cast, good soundtrack, humour and drama, excitement and suspense, colourful settings, a great story, memorable lines and memorable scenes, action, adventure, romance, good guys and villains, the perfect all-round movie, something for everyone, and which has either a U or PG rating, so a family film as well?

My personal nomination is

The Adventures of Robin Hood ( 1938 ) with Errol & Olivia et al…..

My favourite horses - Red Rum, Spanish Steps, Proud Tarquin, Esban, Go-Pontinental, Barona, Charles Dickens, The Dikler, Astbury, Black Secret, Vulgan Town, Huperade, Well To Do, Crisp, Quintus, Argent, Colebridge, Pearl Of Montreal, Nereo, Sonny Somers, Tubs VI, Tartan Ace, Red Candle, L'Escargot, Bula, Beau Bob, Rouge Autumn, Rough Silk, Frodo, Deblin's Green, Prince Tino, Eyecatcher, The Pilgarlic, Captain Christy, Mr Midland, Interview II, Credit Call, My Virginian, Flush Of Diamonds, Scout, Money Ma

Viewing 17 posts - 290 through 306 (of 380 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.