The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Fictional Characters You Like or Hate

Home Forums Lounge Fictional Characters You Like or Hate

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Pompete
    • Total Posts 2391

For me there’s only one I hate – Quincy – always poking his nose into police business. I just want tell him your a ******* pathologist not a ******* detective – now **** off.

The one I like the most I think is Grissom in CSI Las Vegas, Althought H (who being a prat I do a good impression of) in CSI Miami runs him a close second. Strangely I’ve always thought of Corm as being a bit like Grissom – calmly run the good ship TRF, so to speak.

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

Erm, does God count? :wink:

On a more serious note, linking to a recent Lounge thread (re: the justice system), I wonder if those putting forward a vigilante mentality would appreciate more people like Bud White (click) around. He’s Russell Crowe’s character from LA Confidential- I don’t know how similarly he’s portrayed in the original novel- and one of my very favourite fictional characters.
    That particular clip is a bit out of context within the scene, but you get the idea!

Steerforth
    • Total Posts 122

Jack Regan, the hard-living hard man with a soft centre – John Thaw got that unforgettably right. I’d still call The Sweeney my favourite tv show of all time, loved it. Huggy Bear from Starsky and Hutch. I once almost ran Antonio Fargas over outside Newcastle Theatre Royal – he just looked at me and grinned :lol: I’ll never forget Clive Francis playing the decadent Major Hedges in Potter’s Lipstick On Your Collar – the highlight of one of the best things ever done for television for my money, so full of good things.

And lastly, Alexandra Bastedo playing Sharron Macready in The Champions, as I was besotted with her as a kid :lol:

Best leave it at telly as if I did film and novels as well I’d be here all day.

aaronizneez
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1747

For a starter

Dylan from Magic Roundabout
    Windy Miller
    Pob
    Jack Regan
    Sergeant Wilson
    Sweep
    Norman Stanley Fletcher

Dislike

Any Eastenders character
    Any Coronation Street character
    Any Emmerdale character
    David Brent

chloed
    • Total Posts 433

sean the sheep
    vince [just good friends]
    nancy [oliver twist] – tart with a heart.

DISLIKE
    doctor who
    mr rochester [jane eyre ] – moaning martyr.
    bathsheba [far from the madding crowd] – tart with no heart

Himself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

My favourite fictional characters are those Charles Dickens invented. I have read all Dickens’s novels and he encompasses every facet of the human psyche within his characters.

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Steerforth
    • Total Posts 122

I also love Dickens. If I had to pick a couple of favourite characters out of all of his fantastic creations they would be the debtor William Dorrit, and Estella from Great Expectations. I always ‘see’ Estella as a young Jean Simmons having watched Lean’s film many times. Which is no bad thing as she was perfectly cast.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8393

Love; Tess…..Hate; Angel Clare

.Love; Hawkeye from Last of the Mohicans [sigh; a man that could build me a log cabin in the woods and protect me from everything]..oh, and Miss Havisham [my role model].

Himself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

..oh, and Miss Havisham [my role model].

:shock:

Pompete
    • Total Posts 2391

Some excellent choices on here – I should of expected a high standard on TRF.

My favourite characters from literture are Owen and Barrington in Robert Tressell’s ‘The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists’ a beautifully written book. Sadly Tressell died before the book was published and would never know of his place within the conscience of the British Labour Moverment.

Jack Regan is also a favourite of mine. When my daughter was little every Sunday morning we would go out on our bikes and when arriving back home would come in thru the back door. Every week my missus would be in the kitchen and she would shout "who’s that coming in the back door" and we would shout back "we’re the Sweeney and we want our dinner" :D

Steerforth
    • Total Posts 122

Every week my missus would be in the kitchen and she would shout "who’s that coming in the back door" and we would shout back "we’re the Sweeney and we want our dinner" :D

:lol:

Blimey I’d forgotten all about TRTP – I can barely remember it now but I did enjoy reading it.

^^ Miss Havisham a role model :shock:

I hope, Moe, you keep a fire extinguisher handy and don’t make a habit out of adopting young girls :lol:

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8393

The Ragged Trousered Philanthropist! Someone mentioned that on the telly a while ago and I couldn’t remember the name of the book or it’s author; I can now look out for it. Ahl Miss Havisham..my house has, alas, [through lack of funds] stayed pretty much the same for, what seems like forever; I’m not too good with a duster and can’t throw anything away. Which ending did they have in the film; the sad one or the happy one?

Himself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists is an excellent novel; one of my favourites, in fact. The man who has championed it the most on tv
    ( and elsewhwere ) is Ricky Tomlinson.

Miss Havisham was a bitter and twisted old woman , hence the :shock: , and the notion that forum member, moehat, might have been of a similar disposition, would probably come as a shock to mostly everyone on here.

But alas, we are relieved to learn that the only slight connection with that sad old Victorian biddy, is that she only misses the odd hoovering day instead. :wink:

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

Obviously my fictional role model is Victor Meldrew, with a touch of the Alf Garnet thrown in on a good day. :lol:

Gerald
    • Total Posts 4293

The female tomato from the cartoon TV series of The Attack Of The Killer Tomatoes.

Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5629

Like:

Gabriel Oak
    Reggie Jeeves
    Wilkins Micawber
    Miss Marple
    Dr. Strange
    Sgt. Wilson
    Mr. Badger
    Charlie Allnut
    Sherlock Holmes
    Endeavour Morse
    Basil Fawlty

Pathologically detest:

The Simpsons
    American sitcoms

Steerforth
    • Total Posts 122

For the most part I can’t abide American sitcoms either but I make an exception for The Phil Silvers Show/Bilko, which was top-notch I reckon.

Moehat: the Lean film had a fairly straightforward happy ending, with Pip and Estella walking off together into the future. A bit soft really but I didn’t mind that much, the rest of it being so good.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.