The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Fernando Torres – Spain

Home Forums General Sports Fernando Torres – Spain

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    FlatSeasonLover
    • Total Posts 2065

UNITED EYE TORRES SWOOP

Fernando Torres could form a formidable strikeforce with Ruud van Nistelrooy and Wayne Rooney at Manchester United next season.

Reports indicate that Sir Alex Ferguson is closing in on a £25million deal for Spain international Torres, who will lead the attack for his country in Wednesday’s World Cup Group H clash against Ukraine in Leipzig.

The Atletico Madrid striker, 22, weighed in with 13 goals in La Liga last season as the capital club finished 10th.

But he won numerous plaudits for his all-round displays and has leapt ahead of Raul in the national team’s pecking order after scoring seven times in 11 World Cup qualifiers.

And instead of Torres replacing van Nistelrooy at Old Trafford, Ferguson is now keen to pair them together, with Rooney completing a fearsome attacking trio.

United know they need to match the firepower of Chelsea if they are to have any chance of wresting the Premiership crown back from Stamford Bridge.

And with Jose Mourinho able to call upon Andriy Shevchenko, Hernan Crespo and Didier Drogba, Ferguson is determined to assemble an equally robust set of strikers ahead of the 2006/7 campaign

source: Sporting Life

What would people think about United signing Torres? As a United fan myself I think this would be a superb signing.<br>

Interested Academic
    • Total Posts 37

As a Liverpool fan FSL, this is the man that Utd need. Everyone tried to buy him before he’d even got to 17, but there was no dice at all from Atletico’s presidento.

Have watched him many times (only once live), fast, unselfish, mentally alert at all times, great spring to win headers, can obviously hit a ball – people will go over the top about Spain after the 4-0, but at 22 this guy is a steal at any lavish price imo.

IRSHEYEZ
    • Total Posts 223

My guess the only way Athletico Madrid would sell Torres would be in a swap for Van Nistelrooy plus money. I would love to see him play in the premiership and there is also take Rafa is eyeing up a swoop for David Villa form Valencia.

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

Personally i’d have David Villa over Torres. I think he will get a lot more goals than Torres in the premiership, particularly if he plays alongside crouch.

FlatSeasonLover
    • Total Posts 2065

David Villa is very much in the mould of RVN Aragorn while FT is more pacey and creative.

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

I think your watching a different guy FSL. Villa is quicker over 10 yards than Torres, he’s more like Robbie Fowler was when he first broke into the liverpool team.

Torres is over-rated in my opinion… If he comes to England i’d be surprised if he scores more than 15 in a season

FlatSeasonLover
    • Total Posts 2065

Aragorn RVN is very quick himself you know. I meant Villa is a finisher while Torres is more of a creator.

FlatSeasonLover
    • Total Posts 2065

Someone just mentioned Torres in the same breath as Arsenal. :( :( :(

Currently the tournaments leading scorer with 3 goals. I’m optimistic with my top scorer bet at the moment @ 33/1.:)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.