The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Favourite jockey colours?

Home Forums Archive Topics Trends, Research And Notebooks Favourite jockey colours?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 82 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 1688

There are some colours out there which are a straight-up block such as Coolmore or Godolphin, and then you’ve got the epaulettes usually indicating ownership from the Maktoum family. Pop over the Atlantic and letters with various shapes, patterns and styles which would be so difficult for one to describe are regular.

What are your favourite colours? The most attractive? The best combination?

Mine would have to be Khalid Abdullah’s lime green body with salmon pink sash, white sleeves and salmon pink cap. It just works for mine. Simple yet sophisticated and the sash adds to individual value of the silk.

Khalid Abdullah’s horses can do no wrong at the moment with me. I love them. <!– s:wink: –>:wink:<!– s:wink: –>

• Total Posts 1688

Lime green? Reviewing the Pretty Polly Stakes – it sure is not! On the colour circle it is probably between Green and Blue-green, leaning closer to green.

Salselon
    • Total Posts 883

The Agan Khan’s colours are pretty special aswell, though success is what matters, something he hasn’t achieved over the last several years

:roll:

Kautostar1
    • Total Posts 384

Oh good question. I cannot for the life of me remember his name, ohh too early but the back and white checks on body with bright pink sleeves… Darn it i do know the owner but can’t remember name! Ogden, yes that’s it, am i right? no maybe not

Other than that love the classiness of the coolmore dark colours, sort of understated in a big way…

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

From a truly selfish perspective any set of colours that are distinctive enough from others thus making race reading easier.

I can’t remember where it was now but there was a race last winter, in poor light. About ten runners and they all had colours of dominated by varying shades of green or blue.

It is in races like that I wish we had the American system of coloured saddle cloths.

Artemis
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1736

Black, with a red cap(Jim Joel). Don’t think they are still used?

Chocolate and Green hoops(Aga Khan’s old colours). Sometimes still used as second colours.

White with purple hoop ( Major Holliday). Haven’t seen these for a while.

Emerald Green(Fahd Salman). owner died, don’t know if colours are still about in the family?

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2923

"Oh good question. I cannot for the life of me remember his name, ohh too early but the back and white checks on body with bright pink sleeves… Darn it i do know the owner but can’t remember name! Ogden, yes that’s it, am i right? no maybe not "

No black in Sir Robert Ogden’s colours.

The winner of the first at The Curragh yesterday had colours similar to the one’s you describe but don’t think they can be the one’s that you are trying to think of.

Colin

• Total Posts 280

Used to like the Monica Sheriffe colours, carried by Sharpo that were (I think) dark blue with a yellow circle.

Also Mrs J de Rothschild’s – blue, with a yellow chevron circling the jacket.

Participant
    • Total Posts 3442

Oh good question. I cannot for the life of me remember his name, ohh too early but the back and white checks on body with bright pink sleeves… Darn it i do know the owner but can’t remember name! Ogden, yes that’s it, am i right? no maybe not

Guy Reed of Warpath, Apache and Dakota fame are similar to what you describe but gold and black checks with pink sleeves.

chalk jockey
    Participant
    • Total Posts 253

Lord Howard de Waldens apricot colours would be my favourite.

If you go to back a certainty always buy a return ticket.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4833

Jumps – Hales colours on a grey, no finer sight in racing.

Flat – Lady O Reilly, the ¨MONTBLANC¨ style hat is pure class. Raymond Tooth silks also very stylish.

Participant
    • Total Posts 432

As much as I like the subtle peaches & pinks, my all time favourite has to be the patchwork Oh So Risky colours

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

you beat me to it! wasn’t it something to do with The Crazy Gang?

Participant
    • Total Posts 432

Yes I think so, but were lent to Oh So Risky owners

• Total Posts 1415

Prince Khalids, classy.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

you beat me to it! wasn’t it something to do with The Crazy Gang?

It was the Oh So Risky Partnership, I think, but the colours were always described in the racecard as "Crazy Quilt" or "Crazy Patchwork".

gc

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

I think Robert Ogden’s are pink and mauve check with white sleeves, aren’t they?

I’m certainly racking my brains now thinking which ones you mean.

For sentimental reasons my favourite colours are still probably white, royal blue spots spots, purple sleeves and cap.

I have a special place also – and you can read anything you like into that – for orange with a royal blue sash. That’s not for aesthetic reasons, but rather on account of the utter lunatic usually clad in them.

Jeremy
    (graysonscolumn)

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 82 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.