The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Fallon for Kingscote – what would you have done?

Home Forums Horse Racing Fallon for Kingscote – what would you have done?

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

Exactly. But does Hughes have a written contract with Hannon? If yes then he either honors his contract or Hannon takes him to court!Not likely, because until the Fallon incident nobody went to court over such matters.That was the pool Fallon was swimming in.He did not anticipate a change in the environment.Even McCoy does not expect to be held to a hand shake as I indicated above.Written contracts were not worth the paper they were written on until the Fallon incident.Most jockeys will be reluctant to sign a contract after the Fallon incident.Least of all a contract with an individual owner.Hughes contract with Cecil practically ended his career. He was lucky that Hannon rescued his career.Since joiniung Hannon he rides over a hundred winners a season.Incidentally Fallon without a stable of note is riding over a hundred this year. Something to be proud of.

Coggy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1372

As I understand it andyod, Fallon is retained by Mr Cumani. With regard to Mr Stoute, Fallon is picking up spare rides for him due to the enforced absence of Ryan Moore. I note that he doesn’t get any of the mounts on Prince Abdullahs horses though , even those with Mr Stoute. Obviously the owners decision, and not the trainers.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

As I understand it andyod, Fallon is retained by Mr Cumani.

No "retainer", I believe; just an informal agreement he’ll ride for him when he can, and when it suits him.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2034

Whether people think it is right or wrong, where is the loyalty to the jockey who has ridden the horse in every run, rides the stable jockeys on the gallops. Find it really really shallow from Manor House. Fully expect Owen to be behind the decision, not Dascombe.

Really do feel for Richard Kingscote.

Coggy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1372

I never like to see this happen.
    It has happened to many a good jockey in the past e.g. the likes of Starkey and Matthias losing out to the likes of Piggott and Eddery.
    However in this case, for goodness sake Fallon. Hardly a big race success story anymore.
    Chin up Kingscote
    I hope Mr Owen gets his just reward !

del_boy
    • Total Posts 386

when your as good as fallon, you don’t need to know the horse.

seepigeon
    Participant
    • Total Posts 141

Not for the first time, a jockey is held acountable for the limitations of the horse. Though here it is more a case of inflated expectations of the owners.

A poor decision, though Dascombe’s to tie up wth Owen was hardly a better one.

del_boy
    • Total Posts 386

i think this forum can be very two sided at times. say for example if henry cecil got rid of queally and gave someone like kingscote a chance as stable jockey, and he was on frankel. would you be relieved or worried? then ask yourself if you would be relieved or worried if fallon was on frankel because the owner didn’t want an inexperienced jockey on board. exactly!!!

i suppose most people are like that with queally now though, saying he should binned off because his body language when riding is showing the nerves are getting to him.

Participant
    • Total Posts 3365

In Germany RK’s orders were to make the best of his draw and take up a good position – I think he could have been a victim of circumstance that day.

Top quality jockeys don’t need them sort of orders and then get it wrong, they know what to do. For people to wish Michael Owen ill luck just because he’s changed the jockey after he has pumped millions into the sport is plainly ridiculous.

Eclipse First
    • Total Posts 1569

if fallon was on frankel

That is a definite rofl!

I think hell would freeze over before Henry sanctioned that.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6129

In Germany RK’s orders were to make the best of his draw and take up a good position – I think he could have been a victim of circumstance that day.

Top quality jockeys don’t need them sort of orders and then get it wrong, they know what to do. For people to wish Michael Owen ill luck just because he’s changed the jockey after he has pumped millions into the sport is plainly ridiculous.

It’s irrelevant what jockeys of any stature feel about orders if riding for a trainer who likes giving them. I seriously doubt that K Fallon will go out orderless at Doncaster.

At no point have I wished Michael Owen ill, nor would I. I’ve questioned his decision as a long term strategy for success, but wish him no ill.

Marginal Value
    Participant
    • Total Posts 703

Do all jockeys who ride first jockey sign a contract?If so then the present issue is moot.The excuses being given by Richard Hughes today for riding the stable selection in the Leger never mentioned whether he had a contract with Hannon to ride the stable selection or not.He attributed his decision to loyalty.Had he stayed with his stable he would have been leading jockey at Ascot. Is word of mouth considered a contract?Is a hand shake considered a contract?McCoy once said "I have a committment unless I get a better offer" re a ride for Noel Chance in the Gold Cup.Did Gosden have a contract with Fortune?Few go to court on these issues.Did Eddery every repay Walwyn for his loyalty? Did he not dump him for Ballydoyle shortly after?

Walwyn told Wildenstein to go and …… find another trainer in 1978. In the five years before 1978, Walwyn trained an average of 104 horses per year. In the five years after 1978, Walwyn trained an average of 111 horses per year. If the Wildenstein incident had any influence at all on Walwyn’s career, it seems that it was positive rather than negative.

Coggy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1372

andyod – it wasn’t loyalty to Eddery that blighted Mr Walwyn’s fortunes. He suffered terribly at the hands of a persistent virus as I recall

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

OK.Did Eddery stay loyal to him?

Coggy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1372

In the end, no. However your assertion that Mr Walwyn’s loyalty to Eddery ended his own career is incorrect

Marginal Value
    Participant
    • Total Posts 703

OK.Did Eddery stay loyal to him?

It depends on your definition of loyalty. Anyone’s definition should include how things are done and not just what was done. Eddery left Walwyn. Was he disloyal? It seems that Walwyn thought not.

Peter Walwyn could be quirky and volatile at times (like many trainers) and quite a tough nut (like many trainers) and I have often thought I might buy his autobiography. This thread has prompted me to go to Amazon and do the business. I hope there is plenty in there to answer questions about Eddery’s loyalty to Walwyn and vice versa.

In the meantime, there are couple of pieces of evidence that Walwyn was very friendly with Eddery right up to the end of their respective careers. Right after Eddery went to Ballydoyle, Walwyn used him, especially in big races, when his new jockey, Joe Mercer, was unavailable. Walwyn continued to use him whenever he could right up until his retirement. In 1999 Walwyn wrote a letter for publication about the split between Eddery and Terry Ellis, his agent (and brother-in-law):

"THE parting of Pat Eddery and Terry Ellis is a particularly sad event. During the time Pat rode for me as stable jockey, and ever since, the co-operation between the three of us has been remarkable, without a single disagreement.

A large part of Pat’s success is due to the organising abilities of Terry. Pat will, no doubt in his brilliant and inimitable way, ride as well as ever, but he will be hard-pressed to find an agent of such calibre.

I wish them both the very best. With over 800 winners since the first one-a record partnership between trainer and jockey-I will continue to use Pat on every occasion he is available.

PETER WALWYN
    Lambourn

COPYRIGHT 1999 MGN LTD"

When Eddery retired as a jockey, Walwyn said about him:

"Grundy was the star, but I think we had about 600 winners together. We never had a disagreement in all our time together. Racing is losing one of the finest ambassadors it has ever had and I wish Pat a very happy retirement and great success in whatever he does next."

I think Walwyn was, and still is, an old-fashioned gentleman, who wanted things done properly and honourably. Hence his response to Wildenstein’s public comments about Eddery. I can only assume that Eddery’s leaving Walwyn in 1980, for the top job in Europe, was done properly and honourably without a hint of disloyalty.

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

Thanks for the feedback on an interesting chapter in the history of racing.Very much appreciated.

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 60 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.