The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Fallon charged

Home Forums Horse Racing Fallon charged

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 743 total)
  • Author
    Lingfield
    • Total Posts 919

Breaking news is that City of London Police have charged Fallon and Rodgers with conspiracy to defraud.<br>Not sure about any others.<br>Will HRA suspend Fallon’s licence?

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

Great jockey. Rubbish person IMO

Of course, charging doesnt mean guilt so technically he should not be suspended, but for all his riding qualities, if he is found guilty he must never ever ride again

deltaman
    • Total Posts 190

Never ride again!! and do what? become a Trainer and be as pure as driven snow, get a grip man!

stevedvg
    • Total Posts 1137

Never ride again!! and do what?

… be kicked the ****
    out of racing.

If Fallon is guilty – and note the use of the word "if" – and found guilty he should be banned from the sport for life.

What should he do with himself if that happens?

How about this:

sit around asking himself why he threw away what he loved and what he was immensely talented at for some backhanders he didn’t need.

Personally, I hope he is properly investigated and shown to be innocent.

Steve

john2345
    • Total Posts 47

I have little doubt that there are many in the  "establishment" who would love to see Fallon driven out of racing. If he has been stupid enough to take backhanders (that I agree he hardly needs) for tips or worse still can be shown to have "stopped one" then he’s clearly in deep trouble.

However my confidence in the police and their hangers-on is particularly low when it comes to understanding racing and betting, so I think I’ll hang fire till I see the evidence as it unfolds.

As to banning him for life – should he be found guilty – I think the courts might have something to say about his right to earn a living….I’d also be interested to see the reaction in Ireland.

John

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

I sense that after previous blunders, plod probably should have learnt some lessons and there must be a feeling that they are pretty confident this time around

If guilty, then yes, must never have any involvement in racing again…

John… Why should the recation in Irealnd be any different to here? Corrupt is corrupt

stevedvg
    • Total Posts 1137

As to banning him for life – should he be found guilty – I think the courts might have something to say about his right to earn a living….

I doubt it.

Athletes can be banned for cheating (taking drugs), why not a jockey?

If found guilty, it all over for him in racing.

I’d also be interested to see the reaction in Ireland.

I’d imagine that it would be pretty similar to over here.<br> <br>Steve

john2345
    • Total Posts 47

<br>I think you’ll find that he is entitled to earn a living and that refusing him the opportunity to do so would run contrary to his (and by the way I detest this law and the way it’s been expolited!) "Human Rights".

As regards "reaction in Ireland" I divide my time between here and Ireland and there’s generally something of a cynical view of any charge brought by the British police against an Irishman…. rightly or wrongly, emotionally or precedent-based, or "whyever"  is probably not a topic for this board! I’m not saying that’s a valid feeling to have…. just an outcome of history.

I’m waiting for the evidence….

J  

Lingfield
    • Total Posts 919

Jockeys Darren Williams and Fergal Lynch also charged.<br>One Joanne Richardson is charged with money laundering.<br>Others answering bail later.<br>The Irish Turf Club have announced that they will continue to allow Fallon to ride.<br>HRA are making a statement re. the jockeys and their future in the UK later today.

(Edited by Lingfield at 12:08 pm on July 3, 2006)

• Total Posts 1631

Lets hope the prosecuters are able to make the evidence stick,(if they have any) because if they don’t, racing will fall further into the hands of the corrupt elements out there

(Edited by empty wallet at 12:18 pm on July 3, 2006)

stevedvg
    • Total Posts 1137

I think you’ll find that he is entitled to earn a living and that refusing him the opportunity to do so would run contrary to his (and by the way I detest this law and the way it’s been expolited!) "Human Rights".

I think you’ll find you’re mistaken.

If you commit certain crimes, you can be barred from certain forms of employment.

e.g. paedos working with children

Steve<br>

john2345
    • Total Posts 47

Yeah…. like various Company Directors and City figures with convictions re-appearing in the world of commerce…. and in many cases "doing it all over again" of course!

J

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

Quote: from john2345 on 12:26 pm on July 3, 2006[br]Yeah…. like various Company Directors and City figures with convictions re-appearing in the world of commerce…. and in many cases "doing it all over again" of course!J

It’s unlikely that he will be able to ride under a different guise. I would hope that he wouldn’t be entitled to take out a trainer’s licence either. He could probably continue to earn a living on the fringes of the industry though, either from pinhooking or something along those lines.

I sincerely hope he didn’t do it (slightly different to being found ‘not guilty’) as the sport is currently running third (IMO) behind cycling and athletics as a safe haven for cheats and could do without further damage.

To a large extent though, he (and racing in general) is damned anyway as if he is not found guilty, the public perception will be that he "got away with it"

Participant
    • Total Posts 1229

Firstly I think we should be wait for a verdict first.  Secondly I think the punishment should fit the crime and since I dont know the extent of the crime to which he is charged, I cant be sure what the punishment is.

I think the punishment he gets should be along the lines of what happens to any athlete.  That doesnt always mean a life ban but certainly enough to maintain the integrity of the sport.

As regards never ever letting him become a trainer.  I think that would be very wrong.  Assuming he gets a decent punishment, then obviously he should be allowed to show he is a reformed character and allowed to carry on with his life.

Stevie, I dont like the example of the Paedos with children. Thats a different sitation and certainly a more ugly one.

SHL

Participant
    • Total Posts 1416

I certainly hope he is innocent too.  If he is found guilty, it will damage the reputation of racing irrepairably.

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9229

It would be a ludicruous situation if racing were to allow a man charged with conspiracy to defraud in relation to his racing activities to continue riding until those charges were either proven or otherwise. With multi-millions of pounds bet on the outcome of horse races weekly, here we have a man who is under suspicion of fraudulent activity riding horses upon whom much of that money is wagered.

If racing is seriious about protecting it’s integrity then clearly he, and any others charged, should be be suspended until the outcome of their trial is known.

Shouldn’t they?

The difficulty is that, in the interim, they will lose their livelihoods and may even lose out longer term if they are indeed absent from the racecourse for any length of time but are then found to be innocent.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1416

The whole problem, I believe, is that many think the police investigation service is impotent at very best.  Many will believe that even if guilty they will get away with it on some pathetic legal loophole.  You only have to look at the recent events in E. London to realise that public confidence in the justice system is non-existant.<br>I think it is a falacy to suggest that he, or any other of the accused, should be allowed to ride or engage in any related activities in the UK whilst such a charge is alleged.<br>This would not stop him from earning a living in Ire, Fra, HK etc.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 743 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.