The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Expert opinion required

Home Forums Horse Racing Expert opinion required

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    petski
    • Total Posts 81

Myself and another forum member "Tuffers" run a small racing syndicate. Yesterday a horse of ours called Feet of Fury ran at Salisbury, we felt that all things being equal she should go pretty well. Being fans of Jamie Spencer we booked him as we felt he was the man to do the job. He was under instructions to settle her in the pack, but not to sit too far off the pace. I’ve attached the link to watch yesterdays race below, how p….ed off would you have been with the ride.

http://www.racinguk.com/page/forcelogin … 09,00.html

Zamorston
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1139

Firstly, I’m no expert but will offer my opinion anyway..

I’ve never been Spencer’s biggest fan TBH, but would like to hear his explanation of why the race panned out the way it did for your horse before deciding on it.

Secondly, I’ve never been fortunate enough to be in a position to be able to book a jockey, but I think if I was I would certainly weigh up the pro’s and cons of booking an up and coming apprentice over the experience of someone like Spencer. Give me a Frederik Tylicki (who’s on fire at the minute) or a Jamie Kyne anyday over Spencer.

carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

If I hadn’t read your post I’d have said you weren’t off a yard. Ran quite well considering the start she gave them.
    In Jamie’s defence she was slowly away last time as well and the ground was pretty fast at Salisbury- possible she needs a bit of give?

Zarkava
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Black and yellow silks way out the back?

Cav
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4825

Poor old Jamie. He gets it from all angles. No wonder he looks well pee’d off most of the time these days.

Never had an owner slagging off his jockey on here before. :o A first for TRF :lol:

Tuffers
    • Total Posts 1402

Black and yellow silks way out the back?

Dark green and yellow but, yes.

Carvs, it wasn’t that she was slowly away. He literally dropped anchor on her and then sat motionless. He then weaved from one side of the course to the other and having ruined her chance proceeded to give her three sharp cracks of the whip without giving her time to respond. At the furlong marker she was actually pretty close but at that point he stopped riding.

After the race, he told me that she was ‘gone in the head’ and just wanted to bolt but in fact during the race I cannot detect that she is pulling at all.

The other thing worth mentioning is that the Racing UK footage appeared to show that the other jockeys were ripping the **** out of Jamie as he made his way to the start with Shane Kelly in particular getting stuck in. I’m not sure whether he nearly fell off on the way to the start but the other jocks were clearly enjoying some joke at his expense. I don’t know whether that affected the way he rode her (didn’t want to be further embarrassed by being carted at the start?) but he was in a pretty foul mood after the race.

Cav
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4825

but he was in a pretty foul mood after the race.

Looks like a bloke completely out of love with the game at the moment. Barely raised a smile after winning the Oaks. Seems like the constant criticism is wearing him down.

Tuffers
    • Total Posts 1402

Looks like a bloke completely out of love with the game at the moment. Barely raised a smile after winning the Oaks. Seems like the constant criticism is wearing him down.

He seemed fine pre-race. He’d just ridden a winner and was enjoying a joke with another jock as he entered the parade ring. We congratulated him on the Oaks win and he seemed pleased about it.

Zarkava
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Well the ride is simply dire but it’s no surprise since he does it day-in day-out.

thedarkknight
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1299

Petski – your horse has caught the eye on a number of occasions – in fact I concluded after watching the video of this run that she is possibly one of those horses that always looks like she has much more left in the tank than she actually does in her races.

Spencer certainly sat quite a way off the pace here – she was awkwardly away and I assumed she possibly wasnt giving him a great feel early on, hence him taking it easy. Did Spencer not offer any explanation as to why he rode her with such restraint?

Himself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

Book William Buick next time. :wink:

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Tuffers
    • Total Posts 1402

Petski – your horse has caught the eye on a number of occasions – in fact I concluded after watching the video of this run that she is possibly one of those horses that always looks like she has much more left in the tank than she actually does in her races.

Spencer certainly sat quite a way off the pace here – she was awkwardly away and I assumed she possibly wasnt giving him a great feel early on, hence him taking it easy. Did Spencer not offer any explanation as to why he rode her with such restraint?

Hi TDK

The only post-race explanation that Jamie offered was that she was totally shot mentally and wanted to go flat out right from the start (which doesn’t seem to tally with the visual evidence of him anchoring her and then sitting motionless through the first couple of furlongs).

She was quite upset in the stalls and I don’t know whether Jamie thought that he needed to drop anchor at the start to stop her getting away from him.

The other thing he did was to remove the crossed noseband at the start as he said it wasn’t helping on the way to post (although she works in it at home). Do any of the horsemen/women out there have any thoughts as to why he would do that?

Tuffers
    • Total Posts 1402

Book William Buick next time. :wink:

:lol: After he rode her at Wolverhampton one of our members quizzed him as to why he had ridden her so wide and why he had dropped his whip as though he had done it deliberately. The poor lad was rendered speechless.

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

In Jamie’s defence she was slowly away last time as well and the ground was pretty fast at Salisbury- possible she needs a bit of give?

I thought LTO she looked like she might get into it down the near side but John Egan stopped riding her

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3177

Hi TDK

The only post-race explanation that Jamie offered was that she was totally shot mentally and wanted to go flat out right from the start (which doesn’t seem to tally with the visual evidence of him anchoring her and then sitting motionless through the first couple of furlongs).

She was quite upset in the stalls and I don’t know whether Jamie thought that he needed to drop anchor at the start to stop her getting away from him.

The other thing he did was to remove the crossed noseband at the start as he said it wasn’t helping on the way to post (although she works in it at home). Do any of the horsemen/women out there have any thoughts as to why he would do that?

I know for a fact there are people more knowledgeable than me on such matters as tack, bridle wear etc. but we used a cross-noseband on horses/ponies who were difficult to control – it gives extra control on to a horse. The main reason for taking it off IMO in this case would be if you wanted to make the running with your filly ie. let her run free, naturally etc (which contradicts what JS said post-race and would also leave her liable to flatten out – which would contradict what TKS thinks of her as possibly being a bridle horse).

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3177

Hi TDK

I know for a fact there are people more knowledgeable than me on such matters as tack, bridle wear etc. but we used a cross-noseband on horses/ponies who were difficult to control – it gives extra control on to a horse. The main reason for taking it off IMO in this case would be if you wanted to make the running with your filly ie. let her run free, naturally etc (which contradicts what JS said post-race and would also leave her liable to flatten out – which would contradict what TKS thinks of her as possibly being a bridle horse).

jinnyj
    • Total Posts 141

He may have felt she was fighting the noseband on the way to the start though and would have been happier without it.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.