The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

England 1966 & 2010

Home Forums General Sports England 1966 & 2010

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Pompete
    • Total Posts 2391

It’s a done deal surely :wink:

I’m so confident – that if we don’t win the World Cup I’m gonna change my nationality have the Saltire tattooed on me ‘Big Fella’ which I shall proud display on Sauchiehall Street while singing Flower of Scotland.

I was considering having to watch only the SPL as suitable penance but that would have been to much :D

C’mon Engerland 8)

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

???!!!………………..after a 6-0 defeat of Angorra?????? :shock:

Colin

insomniac
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

Nothing wrong with optimism and not sitting-on-the-fence!
    Of course I want England to win it (as should every British soccer lover :lol: ), but if my life depended on naming the winner now, I wouldn’t choose England.

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

???!!!………………..after a 6-0 defeat of Angorra?????? :shock:

Colin

I’m sure the Andorrans will be thrilled with you referring to them as a bunch of goats!

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

…………….goats would have won!? :wink: :oops:

Colin

douginho
    • Total Posts 1046

Backing England in major finals is the fast track to the poor house. As with every major championship for the past 20 years or so England will always shoot themselves in the foot! Usually through complacency but also through a lack of passing ability. So often they are outpassed by teams such as Romania. Having said that, if there stars would reign in there own egos and the media stopped acting like England were the best side in the world then they might actually get somewhere. And they’d probably make a few more friends along the way!

Getzippy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1152

April 1st?

Zip

Pompete
    • Total Posts 2391

Zip, I being very serious England will win the next World Cup (and possible the one after as well)

I’ll let you into a little secret though, I’ve never really been an England supporter in fact I find most of the whole carry on surrounding England unbearable. And I’m sure when we do win it, it will be no different this time, which is a shame.

However, imv the single biggest requirement in succeeding at the World Cup is organisation (setting up the team to win a specific match) and this Capello chap knows what his doing.

Obviously, the team itself has to be capable of a certain level of performance – but they don’t have to be the best team in the world – which England aren’t as Italy weren’t last time – but no need to worry about little things like that.

Himself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

I never thought I’d ever say this, but I reckon England have a good chance of going all the way in South Africa.

They’ve finally got a manager who knows what he’s doing.

Btw, a good chance doesn’t necessarily mean they will. :wink:

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Andrew Hughes
    • Total Posts 1904

Good manager. Ordinary players who lack the technical skill both to keep the ball and do something with it. Will huff and puff and if they get a lucky draw might sneak into the semis.

Same as last time then. And the eight times before that.

Getzippy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1152

Pompete….

I will love it, absolutely love it…if you are proved right.

But too many sofa-wettings and much clawed wallpaper watching England suggests history will repeat itself.

However, I do think they have a good coach who has instilled some discipline and respect in the team and does not stand for favourites and prima donna kebabs.

We also could be an "emerging team" with the new players adding energy, skill and dimension. But could you honestly say that this current team will be better in 2010 than the England team that lost to Germany in Italia 1990?

Now, if we could get Gazza fit again…

Zip

Pompete
    • Total Posts 2391

Paddy Power – paying out in the morning? – They Know :D

Time now for all us British (and Irish you can join in as well) to get behind England….we’re happy to share our success with all….

http://d.yimg.com/i//ng/sp/eurosport/20080801/25/40abc9ab9d133e5c9cb5dd1c1fc69c3d.jpg

It’s coming home :D

wordfromthewise
    Participant
    • Total Posts 467

Without trying to be pessimistic rather than realistic I personally can’t see what has changed or will change to make the 2010 outcome any different from previous hyped up England efforts where many of the same players still involved now have come up short time and again.

Even in this lamentably easy qualifying group there have defensive lapses in particular which if not addressed will be woefully exposed in the proper competition and amid all of the self congratulatory media nonsense nothing will be said until its time for the usual recriminations when England prove they are not good enough at the very highest level once more.

No solutions from me I’m afraid I don’t know enough about it and I will be wishing them as well as anyone but complacency and false hopes instead of head down and working on improving our weaknesses feels like a well worn path.

douginho
    • Total Posts 1046

Its gonna be a pretty painful fall from up there Pompete. It’ll be a shuddering jolt back to earth when England lose in a Penalty shootout to those Germans again!

Its reasons like Pompete’s hyping up there chances that means us Scots end up wanting to see England fail…again! There players deserve to be crowned champions though. Rooney, Gerrard, Lampard all world class.

Roddy Owen
    Participant
    • Total Posts 441

Sorry chaps,there are quite a lot of good players in this England side but I can`t help but think they a good lay at 7`sish on Betfair.
    When we watched Brazil and Argentina afterwards it seemed twice as fast and far more skilful

Himself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

England will go to South Africa with added confidence, and will fancy their chances – but so will many other countries; particularly Spain and Brazil, either of which two teams I see as being the most likely winners of the 2010 World Cup.

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Goldikova
    • Total Posts 1537

Its gonna be a pretty painful fall from up there Pompete. It’ll be a shuddering jolt back to earth when England lose in a Penalty shootout to those Germans again!

Its reasons like Pompete’s hyping up there chances that means us Scots end up wanting to see England fail

…again! There players deserve to be crowned champions though. Rooney, Gerrard, Lampard all world class.

I’d be in a confident mood if Scotland had qualified and we had the players they have. There’s no reason whatsoever why they shouldn’t go there thinking they’re in with a good shout.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.