The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Domestic T20 Cricket

Home Forums General Sports Domestic T20 Cricket

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 31237

As a biased Somerset fan I usually spout on about how they will win everything which they should of in the past 3 years but someone managed to lose the last 2 CB40 finals, 3 T20 finals and finish runners up once in the Championship when level on points but lost on account of some bonus batting thing. :cry:

This year the squad look primed for the T20 only imo. Championship credentials took a decline last season when De Bruyn signed for Surrey leaving a hole in the middle order as he was the glue. Kartik and Thomas were on IPL duty early season leaving the bowling short. Hildreth captain the Lions and missed key games as well as Kiewetter and Buttler at times being called up to the national side left Somerset short in depth and they relied on the youngsters. I can see a similar scenario happening this time around and although the signing of Vernon Philander for the early part of the season as cover is a good move I would not back Somerset for the Championship.

I’ve also heard a rumour that Marcus Trescothick will be standing down and not playing in the CB40 games, if true I don’t know but would be a huge loss if not playing and to top things off Somerset have been put in the group of death along with Durham, Hampshire, Surrey and Notts with only the top team guaranteed to qualify.

Somerset have a fine record in T20 reaching the past 3 finals and the squad looks good enough again this year. Pollard is apparently returning again this year. Roelof Van Der Merwe will also come in as overseas player and is another who can bat, field and bowl to good effect as shown in the caribbean champions league of which Somerset put up a bold show against some of the top sides in the world. Trego, Kieswetter and Buttler are all big hitters and score quick. Kartik has gone but didn’t bowl as well as he had done the previous year but with Max Waller, George Dockrell, Van Der Merwe and Suppiah Somerset have enough quality slow bowlers to operate with which is important at this form of the game. 7/1 could be generous come finals days.

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Participant
    • Total Posts 31237

The bad news is Pollard was unavailable to return.
    The good news is the club have signed Chris Gayle……… :D

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/Big-hitter-Chris-Gayle-join-Somerset-Twenty20/story-14411016-detail/story.html

Bet365 have slashed the odds from 7/1 into 9/2 which is a shame as I wanted a bit more of the 7’s.

Participant
    • Total Posts 31237

More developments.

Van der Merwe has not been granted a work permit and will be replaced by Albie Morkel.

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/Somerset-CCC-sign-Albie-Morkel-Twenty20-Cup/story-15028001-detail/story.html

Have to hope Morkel can fit in aswell as VDM did otherwise things could go a bit pear shaped.

Participant
    • Total Posts 31237

Somerset back out to a just about backable 7/1. Gayle will not be joining after making amends with the West Indian board which is a huge blow as he’s a destructive hitter that can win a game in no time he will be replaced by another hard hitting opener in Levi from South Africa. Chances of winning this now depend on Trescothick recovering from an ankle injury.

As predicted CB40 is not on the agenda and the club have lost 3 out of 3.

Championship form has been an inspiring surprise. Injuries to Trescothick, Kirby and overseas star Philander being in and out the side in agreement with South Africa which was part of the deal to sign him, you know he’s only allowed to bowl short over spells as well. Plus lots of call ups for the lions seeing Hildreth, Compton missing for a spell and Thomas playing IPL you would of thought the side would of really struggled but the young replacements have done a great job which bolds well for the future. Compton has took De Bruyns role of middle order glue and is just 60 runs short of 1,000 if he gets it in the next match will be the 1st since the 80’s and Somerset sit pretty in 2nd although Warwickshire look good at present if the side can keep in touch get the squad back to full strength might just have an outside chance.

Participant
    • Total Posts 31237

Just a few days to go now.

Finals day line up

Sussex v Yorkshire
    Hampshire v Somerset

Hard to call as for the first time in a while all the sides making it to finals day look strong, Leicester looked a weak side last year but won. :oops:

Somerset have turned their fortunes around in the CB40 comp after losing the first 4 games have now won 6 on the bounce and still have a chance of making the semi finals, depends on other sides results but at least the county is in good form going into this weekends T20 finals.

Participant
    • Total Posts 31237

:(

Bowlers done their best but not enough runs to play with. Unlucky in a way with 2 inside edges hitting the stumps when batting for Somerset but when Hampshire done the same they went for 4’s. Oh well try again next year.

Final Yorkshire v Hampshire.

• Total Posts 2390

:mrgreen:

Participant
    • Total Posts 31237

Your boys done good, Pete.

Have you got over the whip thing yet? :mrgreen:

Participant
    • Total Posts 31237

2013 Final’s day. I’m going with the underdogs Northant’s I think they will play Hampshire in the final and stuff um……. :twisted:

Participant
    • Total Posts 31237

Former Somerset man Richard Levi doing some damage here. :D

Participant
    • Total Posts 31237

Cameron White in now another ex Somerset blaster. I see where Northant’s are going with this. 87 to win from 62 with 9 wickets left.

Participant
    • Total Posts 31237

With that wicket of Levi the run rate has crept right up. :(

Participant
    • Total Posts 31237

That’s the 1st bit done. :)

Participant
    • Total Posts 31237

If Northant’s cant defend this I’ll quit.

Participant
    • Total Posts 31237

Excellent from Northants all competition and very well deserved.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.