The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

does anybody remember a trainer called earl jones

Home Forums Horse Racing does anybody remember a trainer called earl jones

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    dan de man
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8

earl jones was he irish he was a great man to land a gamble

Adrian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1041

He was based at Hednesford, Staffordshire. I seem to remember him doing particularly well at Uttoxeter and he won a couple of Welsh Grand Nationals. He also trained the infamous Honey End who caused the confusion in Foinavon’s National.

Didn’t something bad happen to him – was he shot at some point? Can’t remember the details and look forward to hearing from others.

racingsprintgrey
    • Total Posts 1

Your right he did have a welsh Grand National winner Pattered he also had an Arkle winner. He was based in Cheltenham initially and Josh Gifford used to ride for him in those days he then moved to Hazel Slade Stables where he had a lot of success and was leading trainer at Uttoxeter.

I used to ride work for Earl at weekends for many years. He then went to Ireland and not sure what he did then not sure he trained again? think he is no longer with us but keep googling and can find no trace of him.

Anybody know the Irish years for him and Bridie his wife?

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6226

He also trained the infamous Honey End who caused the confusion in Foinavon’s National.

Adrian

Honey End was remounted by Josh Gifford to finish a fast-closing second. It was Popham Down who ’caused the confusion’ at the twenty third fence.

Rob

rory
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

Honey End who caused the confusion in Foinavon’s National.

I’ll defend Honey End if no-one else does. He didn’t cause the pile up at the "Foinavon Fence", in fact he was arguably the horse most interfered with in the race and ran on like a lion under Josh Gifford to be second. Ironically, it was the horse partnered by his brother Macer, Popham Down, who caused most of the damage when running across the fence. Honey End was originally trained by Earl Jones and regularly ridden by Josh Gifford. Given that Gifford was stable jockey to Ryan Price and the owners wanted to ensure Gifford could ride him in the big races, he was transferred to Findon for the 1966/67 season.

bbobbell
    • Total Posts 591

Honey End who caused the confusion in Foinavon’s National.

I’ll defend Honey End if no-one else does. He didn’t cause the pile up at the "Foinavon Fence", in fact he was arguably the horse most interfered with in the race and ran on like a lion under Josh Gifford to be second. Ironically, it was the horse partnered by his brother Macer, Popham Down, who caused most of the damage when running across the fence. Honey End was originally trained by Earl Jones and regularly ridden by Josh Gifford. Given that Gifford was stable jockey to Ryan Price and the owners wanted to ensure Gifford could ride him in the big races, he was transferred to Findon for the 1966/67 season.

Your absolutely right Rory and how about this for a bit of anorak information. The great Scottish hero Freddie was stopped four times before clearing the infernal fence and ending up 17th, many Scots believe that would have finally been his year (discuss). The irony is that Popham Down beat Freddie a neck in the Scottish Grand National at Bogside in 1964.

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6226

The Findon village web site, a mine of information on local training history, infers that Team Spirit might not have a been a totally innocent bystander at the twenty third fence.

The reason that Honey End was moved from Earl Jones’ stable was that the owner wanted Josh Gifford to ride. Since he was retained by Ryan Price a move to Findon was the main option on that front.

By the way

rory

, I might point out that I did beat you to defending Honey End by about twenty minutes, though your case for the defence was much stronger than mine.

Rob

rory
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

The Findon village web site, a mine of information on local training history, infers that Team Spirit might not have a been a totally innocent bystander at the twenty third fence.

The reason that Honey End was moved from Earl Jones’ stable was that the owner wanted Josh Gifford to ride. Since he was retained by Ryan Price a move to Findon was the main option on that front.

By the way

rory

, I might point out that I did beat you to defending Honey End by about twenty minutes, though your case for the defence was much stronger than mine.

Rob

Sorry Rob, I’d started ny defence some time before I posted it, so didn’t see you sneak in. On another note, poor Team Spirit needs defending now! When he won the National in 1964, it was his sixth attempt at the race, so I’d be gobsmacked if he competed in 1967 at the age of 15, never mind caused such a melee. Will try to ascertain who the other guilty party was later.

bbobbell
    • Total Posts 591

By the way

rory

Rob

Sorry Rob, I’d started ny defence some time before I posted it, so didn’t see you sneak in. On another note, poor Team Spirit needs defending now! When he won the National in 1964, it was his sixth attempt at the race, so I’d be gobsmacked if he competed in 1967 at the age of 15, never mind caused such a melee. Will try to ascertain who the other guilty party was later.

I think Team Spirit was retired on winning in 1964, (The Grand National by Stewart Peters on page 69 which also has a full field for all the races since the war) and certainly did not run in 1967. The other offender may well have been either Castle Falls or Rutherfords or Kirtle Lad.

rory
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

The other first fence fallers were Bassnet (David Nicholson) and Meon Valley (Andy Turnell); the Duke makes no mention of Bassnet causing trouble, so I’m guessing that Meon Valley may have been the culprit.

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3177

Was probably the Iron Duke’s fault :wink:

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.