The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Do you think . . .

Home Forums Horse Racing Do you think . . .

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    DannyDanny
    • Total Posts 790

How would you rate the chances of this years NH champions Next year.

Will Sublimity win the Champion Hurdle again?<br>Can Inglis Drever defend his World Hurdle Crown?<br>Will Voy Por Ustedes be the Champion Chaser again?<br>Can Kauto Star win the gold cup again?<br>Will Silver Birch win back to back Nationals?

Personally I think Kauto Star and Silver Birch are the only 2 out of the above named that will come close to winning the races they won this year again next year.

yeatsyeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2923

Silver Birch has no chance, you can back that with me now :cool:

Flash
    • Total Posts 1144

Sublimity has a chance as a lot of the hurdlers are not going to improve at their age infact they may go on the downgrade.

Ingles Drever –  I doubt it, same with Voy Por Ustedes.

Kauto Star – Yes he can but will face arguably the best crop in depth of staying chasers I can remember.

Silver Birch – There is more chance of me bedding Britney Spears.

naps
    • Total Posts 159

Well, I will be generous and quote your chance of bedding Britney at about 10,000,000-1. Therefore if Silver Birch has less chance of winning he should be quoted at approx 12,000,000-1. Although I also believe he has little chance of making the race, let alone winning it, I’d be happy to plonk a quid on with you Flash at that price :biggrin:

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

Quote: from Flash on 7:29 am on April 17, 2007[br]Silver Birch – There is more chance of me bedding Britney Spears.

Yeah I’d knock her back too!

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

I’d agree with the consensus on Silver Birch, but without the hyperbole. He won’t be handicapped like that again, and I doubt the market leaders will fold so easily 2 years running.

I give Inglis Drever a chance, only really Wichita Lineman coming up from the novice company. Mighty Man has to be a massive danger though.

Sublimity is for me the best chance of the lot. He just looks like he oozes class, and as much as Katchit looks a great prospect, I doubt he’ll be able to win the CH at 5.

Kauto Star also has to be fancied, but you never know who’s going to be up against him. He could technically next year face ED, Denman, WoA, Kicking King & Trabolgan!

And the Champion Chase may well depend on what My Way de Solzen & Monet’s Garden are primed for next term. Although I’m quite a VPU fan.

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

Unless we get a soft ground gold cup next year KS will win it again (Barring injury obviously).. On good ground I would only give a fit kicking king or MWDS a serious chance against him but I still think they’d have their work cut out. Soft ground ED and Denman would have a chance as well. But in all honesty I don’t think they’ve gotten near to the bottom of KS yet…

I thought Sublimity was hugely impressive and can’t see any realistic challengers given that BI and HE are on the way out. Macs Joy has a year on them but I think his chance is gone. Interesting that Katchit run a time faster than the supreme novices and the CH.. Is this attributable to the drying ground?

dave 22
    • Total Posts 339

Will Sublimity win the Champion Hurdle again? <br>No, won a champion hurdle where the old gaurd were too old, and other fancied runners didnt run to form. There may not be any obvious new challenges to the title at present, but there will be by next march<br>Can Inglis Drever defend his World Hurdle Crown? <br>Yes, the race wasnt run to suit at aintree, black jack and witchita lineman don’t truely stay, and cheltenham isnt mighty mans track. <br>Will Voy Por Ustedes be the Champion Chaser again? <br>Probably yes, if Well chief isnt as good as he once was, and theres nothing to say he would have beaten Voy Por Ustedes at cheltenham what else is there to beat him? this years novices have provided cracking races, but there is no superstar amongst them, (2 mile devision).<br>Can Kauto Star win the gold cup again? <br>No. His season seemed too good to be true, and if he is in the same form next year, nothing will beat him, but i think thats unlikely and recent gold cup winners dont exactly have a good record of even getting to the race the next season. <br>Will Silver Birch win back to back Nationals? <br>No. Good winner this year, but will go up the weights, and you could run the same race over and over and get a different winner<br>

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

Quote: from dave 22 on 10:34 am on April 17, 2007[br]Will Sublimity win the Champion Hurdle again? <br>No, won a champion hurdle where the old gaurd were too old, and other fancied runners didnt run to form. There may not be any obvious new challenges to the title at present, but there will be by next march<br>Can Inglis Drever defend his World Hurdle Crown? <br>Yes, the race wasnt run to suit at aintree, black jack and witchita lineman don’t truely stay, and cheltenham isnt mighty mans track. <br>Will Voy Por Ustedes be the Champion Chaser again? <br>Probably yes, if Well chief isnt as good as he once was, and theres nothing to say he would have beaten Voy Por Ustedes at cheltenham what else is there to beat him? this years novices have provided cracking races, but there is no superstar amongst them, (2 mile devision).<br>Can Kauto Star win the gold cup again? <br>No. His season seemed too good to be true, and if he is in the same form next year, nothing will beat him, but i think thats unlikely and recent gold cup winners dont exactly have a good record of even getting to the race the next season. <br>Will Silver Birch win back to back Nationals? <br>No. Good winner this year, but will go up the weights, and you could run the same race over and over and get a different winner<br>

Dave, who’s going to challenge sublimity? Ebaziyan and Katchit, with possibly iktitaf are the relative youngsters and I can’t seen any of them being good enough..

Wichita Lineman doesn;t stay? Are you having a laugh? I suggest you watch his races again and don’t jump to the conclusion that because he was caught in his last race that he doesn;t stay. Johnson and McCoy simply went too fast too soon. I would expect wichita lineman to go chasing to be honest though and if he jumps he’s a knockin bet for the sun alliance.

I think KS will have a lighter campaign next year, probably taking in the tingle creek, King George, GC prep (AON or letherby) and then the GC… And if he’s not injured, I don’t think he’ll get beaten. Freak conditions are the most likely reason for him not winning. Seems a very sound horse to me..

dave 22
    • Total Posts 339

caught in the last strides!!! thats a joke, i suggest you watch the race again, witchita linman was going up and down on the spot, and if he didnt stay in a fast run race around aintree, what hope has he got in a fast run race around cheltenham on good ground over 3 miles?<br>Kauto Star is being aimed at the betfair million again, plus the tingle creek on the way, so that would mean the betfair chase, the tingle creek, king george, aon, and gold cup. so not much lighter than this year to be honest!<br>As for sublimity, poor champion imo, and will be extremely suprised if he wins again. As for horses to beat him, katchit, Ebaziyan and iktitaf as you say, as well as any improvers, afterall sublimity was only 4th in last years supreme novices. Straw bear is another, possibly detroit city if he came back to form, noble request could shock a few, i just dont think he is good enough to conclude that he will win next year already.

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

Dave, I think you’ll find I didn’t say the last strides in my post. I think you’ll also find wichita lineman won at cheltenham on good ground over 3 miles at the festival. I also think you’ll find most people would agree that Johnson and McCoy cut each others throats in the race at Aintree and also that the aintree race is slightly longer than cheltenham as astutely pointed out by apracing on another thread. If you think Wichita lineman doesn’t stay three miles I suggest you go back and revisit his races. He’s an out and out stayer to my eyes.

dave 22
    • Total Posts 339

Ok, were all entitled to an opinion, but if an out and out stayer curls up after the last, its not an out and out stayer imo.

johnjdonoghue
    • Total Posts 994

Quote: from dave 22 on 11:45 am on April 17, 2007[br]caught in the last strides!!! thats a joke, i suggest you watch the race again, witchita linman was going up and down on the spot, and if he didnt stay in a fast run race around aintree, what hope has he got in a fast run race around cheltenham on good ground over 3 miles?<br>Kauto Star is being aimed at the betfair million again, plus the tingle creek on the way, so that would mean the betfair chase, the tingle creek, king george, aon, and gold cup. so not much lighter than this year to be honest!<br>As for sublimity, poor champion imo, and will be extremely suprised if he wins again. As for horses to beat him, katchit, Ebaziyan and iktitaf as you say, as well as any improvers, afterall sublimity was only 4th in last years supreme novices. Straw bear is another, possibly detroit city if he came back to form, noble request could shock a few, i just dont think he is good enough to conclude that he will win next year already.

<br>

Not sure if Sublimity will in the CH next year, however he was quite unlucky in the Supreme novices hurdle last year he got bumped and knocked wide coming down the hill….

JohnJ.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Suggested Wichita Lineman didn’t stay at Aintree is plain nonsense. He and Massini’s Maguire went for home too soon and burnt each other out. The fact the Lineman finished so far ahead of Massini’s Maguire marks him down as a very good horse.

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

Silver Birch? No chance of course

The ageing profile of the main contenders in the CH is in sublimity’s favour but Katchit has to be a major threat. If ever a horse was so suited to grabbing the race over the last and up that Cheltenham hill, then this little terrier is the one

Kauto doubters have had a terrible time lately haevnt they? ED franking the form supremely even after jumping badly… but as one poster has said, this will be some division next year. Personally MWDS will be my idea of the major threat

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.