Diamond Jubilee 2019

Home Forums Archive Topics Royal Ascot 2019 Diamond Jubilee 2019

This topic contains 43 replies, has 22 voices, and was last updated by  FinalFurlong91 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)
  • Author

FinalFurlong91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 644

Seems an unnecessary risk from godolphin running their best horse twice in a few days

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2328

I was a little taken aback too but I suppose human sprinters run in heats a couple of days apart at the Olympics and some compete in 200m and 100m. At a lower grade horses run with short gaps quite often. Last year Regal Flow won a 3.5m chase on heavy then went out 4 days later and won the Midlands National on heavy by 10 lengths. (though he did not repeat the dose this year).

If there ever was a time to do it with Blue Point this is it: late enough in the season to be fully fit, not so late to be tired; ease in the ground the first day so he didn’t get jarred; not the sternest opposition on Saturday; loves the course; will be retiring this year anyway. Also, AFAIK he is not a known bleeder.

Of course he may get beaten but the excuse is ready made so no risk to stallion value really.

jackh1092
    jackh1092
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1889

Might well be an unnecessary risk, but they can pull him if it doesn’t dry out a tad. As GAG says not the sternest opposition he’d hose up vs these in my book on a normal week. Just the 2nd race in a week makes it more complicated.

Twitter: Jackh1092
    Hindsight is 20/20 so make the most of it!

Gingertipster
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26229

Blue Point’s next race after this week might be the July Cup, but disappointed last year – so connections may not be keen on that race… And even if tired after Saturday there’s still enough time to recover by the time the July Cup comes around. If thinking of remaining at 5f the next race is Goodwood’s King George. But that’s (wrongly) still only a Group 2 and there is no way they’d take on Battaash in that anyway. Test of pure speed would be very much in Battaash’s favour. Godolphin don’t want to explode the myth that Blue Point is the better racehorse…

Therefore why not go for the Diamond Jub? Choisir won both and then only lost to champion Oasis Dream at Newmarket. Nothing to lose.

value is everything

TheTinMan87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 59

Blue Point’s 6F form at Ascot whilst still very good (3rd Commonwealth Cup, won Pavillion and Bengough Stakes) was only officially rated at 116 at best which leaves him thereabouts but not clear by any means, without allowing for his exploits on Tuesday. Would it be fair to say he thrives off the quicker early gallop he gets over 5F coupled with the stiff finish? He was horrible in the July Cup and not much better in the Nunthorpe last year. A contrasting theory which is fair enough is he’s improved with age as evidenced by him being much better in Meydan this year than last. I did think he was more impressive this year in the Kings Stand in the sense that Bataash probably ran a lot closer to his true form this year than last year.

Interestingly the Commonwealth Cup he was 3rd in he was well clear of Bound For Nowhere who was only beaten a length in last years Diamond Jubilee. I watched back last years Diamond Jubilee and although Bound For Nowhere darted out of the gates, he slowed it down once in front and it was a mess of a race from there in. City of Light and The Tin Man were unlucky to differing degrees but I couldn’t say hand on heart their chances are better this year, especially given Blue Point’s participation. I thought on reflection it was a poor renewal (particularly given what happened to Harry Angel in the stalls) which was exciting to watch because it was so slowly run and so many had chances when the pace lifted. It was won by a 3YO, was it a coincidence Sands Of Mali and US Navy Flag (both 3YO’s at the time) won the two Group 1’s over 6F bar the slog at Haydock taken by The Tin Man? Much like the older milers were the older sprinters at 6F just not very good?

I think it’s very open much like the Queen Anne was if Blue Point doesn’t run close to his best and I’m taking a chance on Sands Of Mali with his track form, 16/1 with one firm is too big off what was surely just a run to brush away the cobwebs from Meydan at Hamilton behind race fit rivals in Brando and Donjuan Triumphant.

admin
    admin
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 656

Welcome to the forum TinMan

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 15621

Took 16’s for The Tin Man. Very unlucky last year, and I’m hopeful he can get some compensation this time around.

I was at Hamilton to see Sands of Mali, and a little disappointed in him, but no surprise to see a bounce back here, and could see him getting involved too, but just the one selection in this.

The Tin Man 16’s

Middle_Of_March
    Middle_Of_March
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2528

Blue Point for me. Not original but I just think he wins.

9/4 is quite a fair price in my view. Best horse in the race and in the form of his life.

Blue Point @ 9/4

Frenchy15
    Participant
    • Total Posts 466

I backed Blue Point on Tuesday, but won’t be backing him for this. A stiff 6F is not is optimum and he’s no value at all I don’t think. Don’t blame Godolphin for running him and it would be really great to see him pull off the double actually, but my money is going to Bound for Nowhere. I would love to see Wesley Ward go back to the US with another winner, it’s been a tough week for him in these ground conditions and for me, he is no 16/1 shot anyway. He’s always bullish, but thinks he’s a better horse than last year, which if true, is a great EW shot.

Bound for Nowhere 16/1

Kris
    Kris
    Participant
    • Total Posts 432

I like two in this.

I’ll definitely bet Emblazoned at 14-1, and I also like City Light at 9-1, so I’ll probably add him as well.

FinalFurlong91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 644

I’m on invincible army and city light

I would cover on blue point but this is going to test him, backing up so quick over a stiff 6f which will be run at 5f pace with kachy setting a frantic gallop

Blue point may well win but I think that last 100 yards will test him to the limit

So at the prices not gonna cover, if he wins then I will be happy to have witnessed such a great sprinting performance.

He does have that perfect draw next to kachy to get a tow into the race which could be a huge advantage

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1057

City Light 5-1 ew without the favourite is the way i have gone.

raymo61
    raymo61
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4485

I have backed two in this. I too backed Blue Point on Tuesday but not for me today.
    My two are CITY LIGHT 9/1 and BOUND FOR NOWHERE 16/1 both each way four places.
    They were second and third last year and to be honest both were unlucky IMO. City Light reared leaving the stalls and lost a couple of lengths and was only just beat and Bound For Nowhere was all alone in running and that could have cost him the race.

Good Luck Guys :good: :good:

BigG
    BigG
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5874

Blue Point is undoubtedly the class act, but there is the question of the quick return over
    a stiff 6f. Having said that, I’m going to chance one that has exactly the same task to face.
    La Brivido hasn’t manage to get his head in front in the 3 races he’s competed in since
    moving from Andre Fabre to O’Brien, but there are definite excuses that could be made for his
    1st 2 races, missed the break and found trouble in running but finished well. He was right there
    in the Queen Anne Stakes on Tuesday until not getting home in the last furlong. That was over a
    mile, and he looked like a winner until weakening late on. A stiff 6f should be fine, considering
    he won the Jersey Stakes here last year. I don’t see O’brien flinging him back in here unless he
    thinks he’s not a forlorn hope. I took him at 12/1 as he looks a very solid e/w here, and if Blue
    Point doesn’t bolt up I think he has decent claims.

Chivers1987
    Chivers1987
    Participant
    • Total Posts 872

I’m alarmed by the drifting price on Invincible Army. James Tate has said from day one that he thinks this horse is a group 1 winner in waiting. Something was amiss that they couldn’t put their finger on after a poor display in the commonwealth cup and an inexplicably bad run in a group 3 at Newbury.
    He did the right thing by the horse last year when putting him away and now he comes into this race looking like a very progressive sprinter.
    Whether today is his day I’m not sure, I just hope he is mentally fit enough to do himself justice. I’ve followed this horse along the way and I know its best not to get too attached but I’m going full on Kevin Keegan and stating that I would love it if he beat them today.

P.S I’m a huge Blue Point fan as well and I think if he wins this then he will be retired. Maybe even if he doesn’t win.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.