The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Derrinstown Stud Derby Trial 2009

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Derrinstown Stud Derby Trial 2009

Viewing 17 posts - 69 through 85 (of 96 total)
  • Author
    andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

It’s hard to tell with the Montjues. They are a bit different. They sometimes carry their head in a strange manner and are wont to swish their tail when whipped. They seldom train on after four although if sent hurdling can be successful(hurricane run,one in the dark)it’s like they get bored with the flat races. They have a mind of their own. The fillies don’t win much.

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

Will Johnny Murtagh chose Fame and Glory as his Derby ride, or will he choose Rip Van Winkle ?

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

what does it mean when a horse swishes its tail? is it a good or bad sign?

Can be seen as good or bad, if they continue to swish after being hit, it means there telling the jockey this is the fastest I can go.

If it is only one swish, they don’t want to go any faster, or the whip actually hurt them.

The lads aren’t all together correct nor are they wrong but the most common reason a horse will swish his tail apart from trying to kill flies is he is unhappy or angry about something.

As far as Fame and Glory is concerned the only time it has been noticible to nay degree was I his latest run.

If you watch his 3 races he give a little bit of a swish when his jockey young hits him a light one behind the saddle. I think he was trying to look stylish more than anything as the horse was always going to win.

There was no sign at all in his next race but Johnny Murtagh didn’t have to resort to the whip and gave him a peach of a ride.

I’m no big fan of Heffernan. Why he decided to give Fame and Glory a real dull one behind the saddle 150 yds from the line, when the horse had already won the race is beyond me. The second he did the tail flew up and Flame and Glory was probably none too pleased. Poor horse was probably thinking "what the fook do you think you’re doing"

It can be a bad sign and horses that get angry can chuck it in a tight finish but some will actually still run for you. Champion Hurdler Bula did it all the time when Paul Kelleway got after him but it never stopped him taking of like a rocket. and winning two chanpion hurdles

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Will Johnny Murtagh chose Fame and Glory as his Derby ride, or will he choose Rip Van Winkle ?

I think before this race and by what he was saying he would have gone for Rip Van Winkle but after Fame and Glory won said he would leave it up to AOB.

I thought he was perhaps being a bit shrewed and not wanting to offend anyone but then realised the two horses are owned by the same group on people.

When you have two good horses like that it would be foolish to chose any of them right now. I would bet AOB won’t commit Murtagh to either via the media until they do their final piece of work and had breakfast.

Mind you I heard a long time before the guineas he was def riding RVW and if I got told he was going to this time, I would tell you…….after I backed him for the Derby and Murtagh to ride him of course :lol:

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

IMO Fame And Glory (Provided AOB runs pacemakers for him as he has in his last 3 runs) is an armchair ride for whatever jockey is onboard. Thats not me saying he is a cert, I’m merely saying that he wont take any great jockeying, its just simple tactics "Set a fast pace, hold him up, and dont let him see too much daylight early".

RVW ceratinly has plenty of class but (if he is to have any chance at all) will have to timed to perfection if he is to win, and so I would expect AOB to put the No1 jock on board him.

It is not certain that Johnny Murtagh will ride RVW but if he does I wouldnt lose too much sleep over the decision, as it would have more to do with how each horse needs to be ridden than who is the more likely winner IMO.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Listen,Johnny will be told what he"s going to ride simple as that! Listen, Things have changed at Ballydoyle this year! Listen, there is more "team spirit" than ever! Listen, ballydoyle dont give a monkeys about what price their horses are! Listen, there are 3 top Jockeys riding for the stable now! Listen, dont think for one minute we know who is riding what and how!
    Listen,Fame and glory wont win the derby, Rip van winkle wont win the Derby, Masterofthehorse could win the Derby, Black bear island could
    win the Derby (a place will do though) Age of Aquarius wont run in the derby, neither will drumbeat! Listen Mastercraftsman is 480 to win the Derby and i had a fiver on last night! and one more thing Listen was a cracking 2yo filly! I am missing Aidans interviews but i got 4/7 that in his next interview he says Listen!!

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

Given that Ballydoyle is as much about the breeding side of racing, which of their horses would be the best one to win from a business angle? ie. now that Sadlers Wells is no longer being used who is the replecement for him? Have they got a stallion that would benefit from having a Derby winner to enhance his [already] astronomical stud value?

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

Given that Ballydoyle is as much about the breeding side of racing, which of their horses would be the best one to win from a business angle? ie. now that Sadlers Wells is no longer being used who is the replecement for him? Have they got a stallion that would benefit from having a Derby winner to enhance his [already] astronomical stud value?

Montjeu and Galileo toook over from Sadlers Wells whilst he was still at stud Moe. So far, since 2005 they have (Off the top of my head).

Montjeu – 2 Epsom derby winners, 1 French Derby winner 2 Irish Derby winners, 2 GPDP winners, International stakes winner, 1 St Leger winner, 1 Arc Winner.

Galileo (since first year in 2006) has had 1 Epsom Derby winner, 1 Irish Derby winner, 1 Champion Stakes, 1 Irish Champion Stakes, 1 Irish 1000 Guineas, 1 Breeders Cup Turf, 1 St Leger.

A win even for Jim Bolgers Gan Amhras (by galileo) would be yet another result for coolmore, however Bolgers last two Galileo super colts (Teofilo and New Approach) have found their way to darley stud so I think Coolmore would rather one of their own runners won.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Listen,Johnny will be told what he"s going to ride simple as that! Listen, Things have changed at Ballydoyle this year! Listen, there is more "team spirit" than ever! Listen, ballydoyle dont give a monkeys about what price their horses are! Listen, there are 3 top Jockeys riding for the stable now! Listen, dont think for one minute we know who is riding what and how!
    Listen,Fame and glory wont win the derby, Rip van winkle wont win the Derby, Masterofthehorse could win the Derby, Black bear island could
    win the Derby (a place will do though) Age of Aquarius wont run in the derby, neither will drumbeat! Listen Mastercraftsman is 480 to win the Derby and i had a fiver on last night! and one more thing Listen was a cracking 2yo filly! I am missing Aidans interviews but i got 4/7 that in his next interview he says Listen!!

Aye! I would be thinking Johnny will be the one who tells Aiden which he thinks is bestand that’s what he’ll ride.

That aside some trainers can get a bit carried away with not talking to the press and it can backfire

One day a member of the press approached trainer and asked him , “do you know what I just heard about one of your jockeys?”

What now said the trainer. ‘Before you tell me I’d like you to answer me 3 questions.

What questions?’ asked the reporter.

Well the Trainer said ‘Before you talk to me about my staff let’s look at what you’re going to say.
    1. Have you made absolutely sure that what you are about to tell me is true?’

‘No,’ the man said, ‘actually I just heard about it.’

‘All right,’ said Trainer. ‘So you don’t really know if it’s true or not.
    2. Is what you are about to tell me about one of my staff is something good?’

‘No, not really said the reporter’.

‘So you want to tell me something bad about him, even though you’re not certain it’s true?’. Ok then
    3. Is what you want to tell me about him going to be useful to me?’

‘No, not really…’

The trainer said sarcastically to the reporter:- if you want to tell me something that is not True nor Good nor even Useful, why the hell tell me at all?’

The reporter gave up on him and left. That’s the is the reason why everybody but him knew his wife was bonking his stable jockey.

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

Dear Moehat,I was just thinking about that subject and I concluded that if they had a High Chaparall good enough to win the Derby and if he won it would give them three sires good enough to get Derby winners.How would that look on their resume? The question is. Do they have one? They don’t need the other studs to prove their worth,they have all gotten derby winners.How about that. Going from one, Sadlers Wells to two, Galileo , Montjue to three.By the way how is Hurricane Run doing?or HawkWing?

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Murtagh has always said RVW is a top class horse but the jockey himself has stated serious doubts about him staying. Unless a Ballydoyle horse wins the Dante by 10 lengths or a leg falls off Fame And Glory, Murtagh will be riding Fame And Glory….1/10. Repeat….Murtagh has NEVER said RVW was his number 1.

As for the Derrinstown as a trial, the comparison between Fame And Glory and Washington Irving is a non-runner…the horses compare in anyway.

The Ballysax/Derrinstown Derby trials are top class trials for the Derby.

Sweaty palms Aidan? Johnny was 5/1 to ride Rip Van, i got 3/1 he"s now 6/4! Those of us who know their horses would say Johnny wont ride Fame and glory because he just aint good enough!

• Total Posts 2184

Wouldn’t be reading anything into them jockey markets. I seem to recall AP being backed off the boards to ride Denman at Cheltenham. They only serve to generate a bit of publicity for the bookies.

It wouldn’t surprise me if Johnny ended up on Freemantle. :wink:

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Wouldn’t be reading anything into them jockey markets. I seem to recall AP being backed off the boards to ride Denman at Cheltenham. They only serve to generate a bit of publicity for the bookies.

Aye and it was TAPK who said Sam would be on Denman and put his money where his mouth is at 2/1 remember! Johnny loves Rip Van! for some reason!!

RedRiot
    • Total Posts 870

Murtagh has always said RVW is a top class horse but the jockey himself has stated serious doubts about him staying. Unless a Ballydoyle horse wins the Dante by 10 lengths or a leg falls off Fame And Glory, Murtagh will be riding Fame And Glory….1/10. Repeat….Murtagh has NEVER said RVW was his number 1.

As for the Derrinstown as a trial, the comparison between Fame And Glory and Washington Irving is a non-runner…the horses compare in anyway.

The Ballysax/Derrinstown Derby trials are top class trials for the Derby.

Sweaty palms Aidan? Johnny was 5/1 to ride Rip Van, i got 3/1 he"s now 6/4! Those of us who know their horses would say Johnny wont ride Fame and glory because he just aint good enough!

I laughed at this, form should be given the nod over hype especially in The Derby, you should roll back the years and remember 2002.

halfwaytoheaven
    • Total Posts 1387

Good point, IC

However, RVW halving in price across the boards would suggest something has leaked that Johnny will be on RVW in 15 days time.

Very interesting market move though. Fame & Glory out to 4/1

If anyone thinks F&G will win or wished they caught a decent price on him – now is the time to back him.

RedRiot
    • Total Posts 870

Ladbrokes still not keen in pushing out Sea The Stars

guskennedy
    • Total Posts 759

Triumphalism is tedious at the best of times and premature triumphalism even more so.

Viewing 17 posts - 69 through 85 (of 96 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.