The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Derrinstown Stud Derby Trial 2009

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Derrinstown Stud Derby Trial 2009

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 96 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Derby 3rd fav Fame and Glory puts his neck on the line today.

I can see the Derby betting being turned on it’s head after he meets John Oxx’s Mourayan today.

Fame and Glory looks a nice sort but Mourayan for me has a real touch of class to him.

It’s common knowledge that Mourayan met with traffic problems in their last meeting.

Although it may have not looked much is was a real stop start situation and a nightmare for jockey Michael Kinane.

Had he not got into trouble and gone when he wanted to I doubt if Flame and Glory would have got anywhere near him.

Watching the horse in his races last year gave me the impression he’s a much better horse this year and despite that defeat I can’t see him losing today.

Excellent day yesterday and no have hesitation having a major bet on him. He’s 6/4 2nd fav with Paddy Power so it’s wait and see what the others offer and grab the best price available.

I backed him for the Derby at 25/1 prior to his run in April as I thought he would be Oxx’s main Derby horse. He ran See the Stars to half a length last year, making him pull out all the stops despite being in need of the run. The going had a fair bit of cut in it that day and he looked a much better horse when picking up really well on good ground in his previous run.
    He also gave me the impression he would be more suited to 12f than STS.

My nose was well out of joint when See the Stars who I completely ignored won the guineas and was promoted to Derby fav.

It may well be See the Stars is the better horse but if Mourayan can put Fame and Glory firmly in his place, The question “Which will MJ Kinane ride” may well be on the agenda.

halfwaytoheaven
    • Total Posts 1387

Fist, I’m also on Mourayan albeit at a shorter price fo 16/1.

If he didnt meet so many traffic problems last time out I think he may have gone very close. Today, it may be his race to lose.

Oxx has put a pacemaker in for Mourayan (as has AOB for F&G) so a good pace is certain here. It’s a no bet race for me due to the prices

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Personally, i would have liked to see Mourayan run in the Lingfield Derby
    trial yesterday, i dont think we will see the best of him until he gets to run
    over 11/2m! I Dont like Fame and Glory for the Derby, i think Aidan has better chances even if the market says not!

• Total Posts 1415

expect Fame and Glory to win easier today. Alot of people are going on about Oxx’s horse and his traffic problems last time but he got out in easily enough time had he been good enough just didn’t have the acceleration to get to the O’Brien horse. Fame And Glory will come on for that and he’s a couple of pounds better off as well. Too short to back but I expect him to be vying for Derby favouritism after today.

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

Oxx thinks very highly of his horse and I have backed it too. I watched the race in question, and I think Fame and Glory was a little flattered by that victory. Of course, I could very well be wrong and he could win doing handsprings. :wink:

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

halfwaytoheaven
    • Total Posts 1387

In every sense of the word, Fame & Glory was impressive there

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2923

Mourayan put in his place there.

Colin

• Total Posts 1415

Seriously impressive. Will only be suited further by stepping up to twelve furlongs as well. Showed a turn of foot, stays well. Favourite for the Derby now and deservedly so.

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

The market spoke volumes. The runner-up, Mourayan was never travelling, and the outcome could have been predicted a mile from home. Fame and Glory showed a good turn of foot, but potential Derby winner (?) – I’m not so sure.

3/1 looks a bit skinny – will be double that on the day, I should imagine.

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

• Total Posts 1415

The market spoke volumes. The runner-up, Mourayan was never travelling, and the outcome could have been predicted a mile from home. Fame and Glory showed a good turn of foot, but potential Derby winner (?) – I’m not so sure.

I hope he is 6/1 on the day lol I’d certainly have some of that. As it is there doesn’t look to be much opposition around and if the Dante doesn’t throw up an impressive winner next week I’d expect him to shorten further as it could become a Fame And Glory vs Sea The Stars issue.

Aidan
    • Total Posts 1198

Mourayan is a lazy colt, thats the way he travels.

Fame And Glory has every right to be a Derby winner, on ratings that is nearly on a par with anything done by any three year old so far this season. Sea The Stars might get the Derby trip but this fella will relish and improve for it.

Likely to get 6/1 on the day? Unless something goes wrong you must be having a laugh….

halfwaytoheaven
    • Total Posts 1387

Aidan, I think Ian was joking about the 6/1. Hence laughing after he wrote it.

It’s an interesting Derby this year at the moment is by no means as competitive as the 2008 renewal.

I still think something else will come out of the Dante or progress from the Irish 2000 that can pass all of these.

I havent seen anything that impresses me enough to back it thus far

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Well I lost out on and got it wrong but am still smiling.t

I have just covered this subject in the French 1000 Guineas.

Horses being slashed in the betting after what can only be desribed as a bad race.

I am with "H" here and to say Mourayan is a lazy horse and always travels like the way he did today is absolute cobblers.

The horse was travelling with ease until hitting trouble last timeout. Today he was under severe pressure fully 4 furlongs out.

For whatever reason I think it’s fair to say he has run well below what he is capable of. He finished only 1/2 length in front of a horse that was beaten 5 lengths by an supossidly inferior stable compainion of his Alaivan.

So what has he actually beaten today, this form perhaps isn’t that good? Granted he’s done it in style but wouldn’t it be fair to say that See the Stars performace in the guineas is surely far superior?

Let’s not forget that Johhny Murtagh said only a couple of days ago that he said Rip Van Winkle in his opinion was AOB’s best Derby hope.

It may well turn out he is wrong but obviously he didn’t think this horse was any world beater when he said it.

I would suggest joint 2nd fav around 5/1 is about his right position in the market and once again the bookies are driving the nail in as ar as they can. They have halfed the price of one horse and the original fav and second fav remain at the same price. :roll:

I’m not convinced we saw a 3/1 shot for the Derby today

halfwaytoheaven
    • Total Posts 1387

This time last year we were looking at the Derrinstown thinking Washington Irving was AOB’s main Derby hope. Look what happened there.

Casual Conquest hacked up and duly was not good enough for improving sorts like Tartan Bearer and New Approach, who was taking his first step up in trip.

As good as the Derrinstown used to be as a trial i’d be very cautious how good this race is as a pointer to Epsom nowadays.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

3/1 for the Derby? Here we go again :roll:

No reduction in price in the original 1st and 2nd fav just more than half his price :roll:

The second finished 1/2 length in front of a horse Alaivan beat the same distance as the winner did today.

Alaivan is trained by John Oxx and you trust this form.

Johnny Murtagh reckoned 2 days ago RVW wwas AOB best hope in the Derby. This horse beats a horse who ran a stinker andwas beaten 4 out and they make him fav.

See the Stars won the guineas for pete’s sake and against a field twice as strong as this.

I just went through this in the 1000 guineas thread and this stinks of the same thing.

• Total Posts 1415

I have the winner rated 120 after today which is three pounds higher than any other three year old this season so far. Looking at the form the second and third ran consistantly to their Ballysax marks which makes the form look solid and gives the impression that Fame And Glory has improved from his first run which so many of O’Brien’s have been.

This was a ten furlongs contest as well and Fame And Glory is bred to be a mile and a half horse. He may well be capable of a mid 120’s run at Epsom and if he does run to that level he’ll be difficult to beat.

Fist I haven’t heard Johhny Murtagh say that Rip Van Winkle was the main Derby hope what i heard him say was last year they always thought he was their best two year old and that the horse has lots of talent and we’ll see a better horse next time out. Personally I think he wants ten furlongs but I wouldn’t be confident of him getting twelve furlongs. Even if he does he’s going to have to improve hugely for the distance to win a Derby.

guskennedy
    • Total Posts 759

This horse beats a horse who ran a stinker andwas beaten 4 out and they make him fav.

There’s no evidence Mourayan ran a stinker. Fame And Glory made him look slow which is not the same thing at all.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 96 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.