The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Derby weighing room coverage

Home Forums Horse Racing Derby weighing room coverage

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    naps
    • Total Posts 159

It was quite a few years back when I first noticed that Frankie wasn’t the man to have on board if you’re a small owner in a small race. Unless he is riding in a big race or for a big stable/owner you are unlikely to get the full effort you feel you are entitled to. I won’t for one moment begrudge the man however because he has shown racing in a positive light on many occasions and the sport needs its good publicity now more so than ever before. However, as a small owner I would take Kieren Fallon over Frankie every time……question marks and all.

DroneDrone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5114

Latin exuberance and the associated mood swings don’t rest easy in the staid land of the stiff upper lip.

Personally I will always prefer the understated ‘job done’ demeanour of a Piggott or Eddery following a victory as 99% of the time it’s the horse that wins the race not the jockey.

But I do try to keep lip-quivering to a minimum.

At the run-of-the-mill meets I’ve attended Dettori has long struck me as being as grumpy, self obsessed and introverted as ol’ Stoneface himself was. No problem but it only stengthens the feeling that his performance in front of the bright lights is a show…nothing more, nothing less.

The housewives loved Lester.

Meshaheer
    • Total Posts 486

I remember the naked Johnny Murtagh after the Arc in 2005. Surely it wasn’t him again on Saturday? (I don’t remember seeing).

Live TV during excitable moments of emotion is always risky business. My favourite use of the F-word was Barry Geraghty’s "f***ing eejit" comment at Aintree :biggrin:  That said, it’s always regrettable when children are watching!

The times I’ve met Frankie were pleasant and I found him affable and approachable. He’s done a lot for racing and makes for more entertainment at big occasions than the likes of Kinane/Moore/Fallon etc.

However what some of the small-time owners have said still doesn’t surprise me as I can imagine him to be like that. Being slightly more humble could be a start but it’s a sad fact of life that celebrity tends to send most people up their own arses.

Shame really. All we need is the right balance of personality and being genuine at the same time!

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

The one thing that surprised me was that I didn’t realise that Frankie and Frannie Norton were an item!!!

beauzam
    • Total Posts 80

Aren’t personality and ability mutually exclusive?A further racing analogy would be good judge of a yearling but mediocre trainer.

Sal
    • Total Posts 562

There’s some disagreement in the Happy Jack household over this!  As I remember, Frankie was perfectly pleasant and polite, if a little perfunctory, with our group of owners – certainly not Bella Pasta but more charming than the majority of jocks who have ridden for us.  Though, to be fair, the majority have been apprentices who are entitled to be slightly overwhelmed when greeted by a large bunch of alien owners.  Frankie certainly gave the horse every effort.

I don’t think Dettori is any different from many exuberant individuals – it is hard to be constantly on ‘superzoom’, and the dizzy heights of enthusiasm have to be matched by extra-low lows.  It does not mean they are being ‘false’ – just that they have to get balance from somewhere.

stevedvg
    • Total Posts 1137

I’ve got nothing against Dettori’s exuberance, but I would have liked him to share a bit more of the credit with Authorized.

(though, I’m not surprised he didn’t)

As Dettori’s 1 from 15 in the Derby and the horse is 1 out of 1, I know who I think deserves the plaudits for the win.  

Compare Dettori’s antics on Saturday with Soumillon after he won the Arc on Dalakhani.

As he paraded back part the crowd, CS made a point of pointing at the horse to make sure everyone understood the superstar was the one wearing the saddle, not the guy sitting in it.

Steve    

(Edited by stevedvg at 6:17 pm on June 4, 2007)

Nor1
    • Total Posts 384

At the moment Dettori is very good for racing. It’s great to read and hear positives (instead of corruption) within racing.<br>He has also helped homesick youngsters at Newmarket Racing School, and apprentices/young jockeys in the weighing room, with words of encouragement.<br>A small trainer and owner from Italy, who could not afford to bring their horse over by plane (had to use the ferry and road), were rewarded by his skill in settling their awkward hard-pulling runner and winning a valuable race for them.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Wouldn’t any reasonable apprentice have been able to win on Authorized?

Venusian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1665

So what?

You could just as well say that about Gordon Richards’s only Derby winner, Pinza, who was every bit as good as Authorized and won just as easily.

cormack15cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8795

I think I could have won on Authorized!!

I’m with the pro-Frankie school of thought. He lives in the glare of publicity, is expected to live up to the exuberant Italian image at all times and has the day to day pressures of one of the top jobs in global racing. Despite that he has done more to promote the positive side of British racing than any other individual since, arguably, Desert Orchid!

He deserves every success he has gained and the sport is indebted to him.

Money on
    • Total Posts 178

My mate asked him for an autograph at York 1 day and he looked at him as if he had 4 heads and then let a massive sigh outta him and signed his racecard. You wouldv’e thought he asked him for a grand and a go at Catherine. He is a great showman for the cameras and i always found the lesser hyped jocks to be more friendly.

I also find the jocks in Ireland to be a little more friendly and especially carberry if u get him a drink :cheesy:

Money on
    • Total Posts 178

Hayley Turner or Patrick Hills without his claim would of won on Authorized on Saturday imo.

Money on
    • Total Posts 178

Quote: from stevedvg on 6:17 pm on June 4, 2007[br]I’ve got nothing against Dettori’s exuberance, but I would have liked him to share a bit more of the credit with Authorized.

(though, I’m not surprised he didn’t)

As Dettori’s 1 from 15 in the Derby and the horse is 1 out of 1, I know who I think deserves the plaudits for the win.  

Compare Dettori’s antics on Saturday with Soumillon after he won the Arc on Dalakhani.

As he paraded back part the crowd, CS made a point of pointing at the horse to make sure everyone understood the superstar was the one wearing the saddle, not the guy sitting in it.

Steve    

(Edited by stevedvg at 6:17 pm on June 4, 2007)<br>

Did he not turn around in the French Derby and wave them along? Altho i like a bit of controversy in racing like that.

Mounty
    • Total Posts 455

Smithy, you are sooooo out of touch with reality…..

<br>…..Bella Pasta changed its name to Bella Italia some time ago.

"The choice at Bella Italia is huge including pasta, pizza, grill dishes and some delicious meat and fish dishes. Select an individual restaurant from the locations menu for pricing."

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.