The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Denman and Mccoy…the debate starts here

Home Forums Horse Racing Denman and Mccoy…the debate starts here

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 205 total)
  • Author
    Magistretti
    • Total Posts 74

AP did a great job on Denman, well, certainly for the first circuit when he was travelling and jumping well. However, the big horse looked like he was starting to feel it just before the first mistake. After that the race was done as he wasn’t coming back from such a hit.

Hope Denman is ok!

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

If that’s the case then it just raises my suspicion with regards to his Kauto favouritism over Denman. When Kauto won his 2 bob re-appearance race, Nicholls jumped 6 foot in the air and there was a slight tremor(he was almost crying). Compare that to when Denman won the AON, where he looked as if he’d won a claimer at Kempton. Do you think Kauto wouldn’t have been in shape for todays race ?

I think you’ll find that it was Denman’s second Hennesy when Nicholls almost broke down in tears. The suggestion that he favours one over the other to the extent he would leave one short for the Gold Cup is utter nonsense.

Denman is notorious for needing lots of work. To my eyes, he obviously didn’t get enough before the Aon.

KendalCavalier
    Participant
    • Total Posts 412

You said he didn’t look fit which from an armchair is some statement to make.

• Total Posts 1415

I don’t know about his heart problem returning but I didn’t like the way he bellied the fence when McCoy came off. Apparently Denman is fine and I hope thats the case that jump looked like it could’ve been potentially damaging.

• Total Posts 433

denman was cruising,5 out ap asked and it was the not a good jump , just let the horse do it FFS, what was with all the looking round rubbish as soon as u do that a horse is unbalanced , stick a natural horseman on it and denman will p*ss the gold cup

• Total Posts 185

I feel Sorry for McCoy, everyone everywhere waving bloody "Denmania" cards everywhere about a 1/8 shot, and once again the unbeatable gets beat.

All McCoy has done is accept a ride offered on one of the best horses in the country, yet he is going to take all the flak for the lackluster performance.

The horse looked undercooked to me and of course the whole Kauto/Denman gold cup fever that RFC was hoping for has had a swift Kick in the nuts. Nichols tries to be to clever for his own good sometimes. Lets hope the horse is OK.

• Total Posts 2440

You said he didn’t look fit which from an armchair is some statement to make.

Please answer my other question if you are going to criticise me for having an opinion, especially without knowing my background with horses i may add.

Did Denman, to you, look like the same horse that won the Hennessy and galloped allover his rivals? ? ?

Onthesteal
    • Total Posts 1387

Lets just say Denman was short to suit some peoples argument. How short do you think he’d presumably be

allowed

to be since his Hennessey performance? To keep him ticking over since that run would surely have been the plan and not to bring him back to square one, which is where he’d of have to of been to contemplate defeat even if he’d have stayed on his feet today. This argument make sno sense at at all.

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

In the same way people are saying it’s all McCoy’s fault to suit

their

argument?

KendalCavalier
    Participant
    • Total Posts 412

What is it with all this undercooked, not fit argument? I presume you will all be writing strongly worded letters to the BHA to demand action against Paul Nicholls for producing a horse so clearly, in your eyes, unfit to perform.

Onthesteal
    • Total Posts 1387

their

argument?

Seeing is believing. We haven’t heard Mr Honest (PFN) say Denman would be going here seriously undercooked, have we?

KendalCavalier
    Participant
    • Total Posts 412

He looked a lot better than he did throughout the whole of last year and he was good enough to finish runner up in a Gold Cup, so yes, before the race I saw absolutely nothing that would lead me to believe that he was not produced to perform well. Then again I am sitting on my £800 Florence Knoll sofa with a vanilla coffee. Get me!

• Total Posts 2440

McCoy’s words on C4 just now were along the lines of –

"He didnt pick up after the cross fence and i was disappointed at the proximity of Niche Market".

So he got after the horse, which any other jockey would have done. McCoy obviously didn’t get the response from the horse that he had hoped.

Going by opinions on here, it would have suited most if he had just been hands and heels all the way and just sitting pretty, then get slated for being a ‘non-tryer’. As i say, he was on a hiding to nothing. Damned if he did, damned if he didn’t.

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9229

Kendal –
    What I’m reading is that people are suggesting, quite reasonably, that it was unlikely the horse was raging fit, that they may well have left a bit to work on for Cheltenham and that, perhaps, judging by the seemingly lack-lustre performance, they’d left a little too much to work on.

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

Give it rest, Kendal Cavalier.

I’m no horseman, but I’ve seen pretty much all of Denman’s races – hurdles and fences – and to my (un-trained) eye, he looked burly in the paddock. This, combined with the way he came right off the bridle after the cross-fence, leads me to conclude that the horse was under-cooked for the race.

It’s an opinion – nothing else.

Perhaps now, you could cease your tiresome "armchair" jive – it’s only making you look like a tit.

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

their

argument?

Seeing is believing. We haven’t heard Mr Honest (PFN) say Denman would be going here seriously undercooked, have we?

Search the net for Nicholls quotes. You will find plenty where he says either the horse was fitter than he figured, or less fit than he imagined. It’s hatrdly an exact science, is it.

• Total Posts 1537

If that’s the case then it just raises my suspicion with regards to his Kauto favouritism over Denman. When Kauto won his 2 bob re-appearance race, Nicholls jumped 6 foot in the air and there was a slight tremor(he was almost crying). Compare that to when Denman won the AON, where he looked as if he’d won a claimer at Kempton. Do you think Kauto wouldn’t have been in shape for todays race ?

I think you’ll find that it was Denman’s second Hennesy when Nicholls almost broke down in tears. The suggestion that he favours one over the other to the extent he would leave one short for the Gold Cup is utter nonsense.

Denman is notorious for needing lots of work. To my eyes, he obviously didn’t get enough before the Aon.

You’re the one who said he didn’t look fit. He favours Kauto to the extent he’d rather he won the gold cup, i don’t think anyone can dispute this. I never said he’d intentionally go out to give him a bad race – that would be crazy – i asked the question whether or not Kauto would have taken to todays race ‘under-cooked’, afterall, you’re the one who made the claim.

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 205 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.