The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Delighted for Monty – shame on you Jeremy Chapman

Home Forums General Sports Delighted for Monty – shame on you Jeremy Chapman

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

I just wante to say how happy I am to see Colin Montgomorie back in the winners circle this weekend, and that’s not just because I backed him.

I also hope that Jeremy Chapman either privately or publicly apologises to Monty for his comments in Wednesdays Racing Post. For anyone who missed it, Jeremy said that Monty’s putting was so bad that he will never win a title again.

OK, that may be just Jeremy’s opinion, but to write it was extremely harsh, especially when you think that just a few days before Monty had finished 3rd of 160 golfers in the French Open where his golf was supreme. Monty is an 8 times Order of Merit winner, he is the ‘winning most’ golfer on the European Tour. Only last year he was finishing 2nd in th the US Open where if I remember correctly he putted brilliantly, and also. only last year he was once again putting brilliantly to help Europe win the Ryder Cup. Monty knows how to win. We all know his putting is not the best on the tour, but for Jeremy to say it’s so bad that he will never win again was disgraceful and very disrespectful.

It was only a few weeks ago that I had an email conversation with Jeremy through the ATR ‘Geton’ show where I told him the winning score at Oakmont was certain to be 5 over or more. He argued that it would be nowhere near that and referred back to the previous time the US Open was at Oakmont and the winning score was well under par. Despite me saying that the course was totally different, more than 600 yards longer, the greens much faster and the rough much thicker, he refused to acknowledge my arguement. However, I was proved correct on that occassion and I am correct on this occassion when I say that Monty is a winner and he HAS WON AGAIN JEREMY CHAPMAN. Come on JC, be a man and make an apology to Monty.

Mike

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

I don’t think an apology is required. His view just seems very myopic. Monty’s problem isn’t his putter, it’s that pig-stubborn head of his. When he takes the huff, the putter instantly becomes his enemy. We’ve all seen this more times than we care to mention over the years, and he was simply having another spell of it prior to last week.

On a slightly tangencial point: Monty may have proved that he can still win, but do you think his chance of that elusive major has now gone?

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

I don’t think an apology is required. His view just seems very myopic. Monty’s problem isn’t his putter, it’s that pig-stubborn head of his. When he takes the huff, the putter instantly becomes his enemy. We’ve all seen this more times than we care to mention over the years, and he was simply having another spell of it prior to last week.

On a slightly tangencial point: Monty may have proved that he can still win, but do you think his chance of that elusive major has now gone?

Monty’s chance of that elusive major has most certainly gone in my opinion, but I would love to be wrong of course. The only time I have fancied him for a major recently was the 2005 Open when he was playing well leading up to the tournament and it was in his backyard (St Andrews). If only Tiger Woods wasn’t in the field that week lol.

I wouldn’t have given Monty any chance of winning the US Open last year but I was almost delighted to be proved wrong, but he played the worst ‘under pressure’ shot of his career as he fully admits. Judging by his latest form though, and back in Scotland, then I really think that this Open must surely be his last serious chance of winning a major, but as we all know, it’s his attitude that can sometimes get the better of his brilliant play.

I think a person like Monty deserves to win a major for what he has done in the game. We all know about his achievements on the course, 8 Order Of Merits, his Ryder Cup record, not forgetting his countless runner spots in majors etc. But Monty does a hell of a lot off the course in terms of ‘giving back to the game’. He is involved with numerous charities and fund raising events and he really is a lovely personality. His personality on the course is completely different to off it, what you see on the course is just a will to win to the extreme that does go over the top – we all know that, but I dare say we would all love to see him win a major.

Mike

SwallowCottage
    • Total Posts 1008

Jeremy may apologise for getting it wrong as he said that ‘ the general impression his game has given this year is that his days at the top of the European scene are numbered’ which was his opinion. JC will also be annoyed with Monty because he tipped Fasth to win :x

I don’t think Monty will win a major – he may be remembered as the best player to never do so. Monty is another player that I never back….I have a mental list of them and he is on it. Monty gets more than his fair share of criticism and is not that popular with some golf fans ( or maybe I should say golf punters ). He could be a bit more diplomatic sometimes ( especially on the golf course ) but I quite like him. I find his honesty and candidness refreshing and I enjoy listening to his views when he is being interviewed ( as he was on Sky recently ). At least he has a personality.

He is a person that I would probably get on well with if I ever met him.I think he could do well in the media when he gives up playing professionally…..perhaps the BBC will employ him. He would be better than a lot of the sports people they have employed in the last few years – some of them are awful imo. Just because a person is good at their sport does not mean that the person will be good as a commentator, analyst etc!! Anyway that’s a seperate subject so I had better finish before I rant on too much..

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.