The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

David Beckham…the man to convert america?

Home Forums General Sports David Beckham…the man to convert america?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Small Bear
    • Total Posts 52

Does anyone actually think that Beckham will be able to bring the sport into the american peoples’ hearts or is he just over there to make himself and the club lots of money? Can one man really make that much difference?!

Himself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3772

He will generate interest for a short time, His ( and his wife’s) sole motivation is gaining fame in America – oh, and there’s the small aspect of money too, of course.

The game they refer to as soccer now has more particpants than any of so called household sports like baseball, football and basketball anfd the national team is 8th in the Fifa rankings – so the game is doing nicely, with or without Beckham’s arrival.

Great players like Pele, Cruyff, Best, Carlos Alberto and Beckenbauer suceeded in promoting and generating interest there during the seventies.

Sadly, the increased attendances and razzmatazz were short lived. Like Beckham, those players were attracted by the lure of big bucks and attention, and were no more interested in the future of American soccer, than Victoria Beckham is in maintaining a low profile during their stay in the good old US of A.

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

FlatSeasonLover
    • Total Posts 2065

If I understand it correctly he shold be focussing on avoiding relegation; that wouldn’t be a very good start would it?

Small Bear
    • Total Posts 52

hehe, it does seem that he has forgotten that he’s playing for a team that he would hang his head in shame to be involved with in any other country!! I think you are right, he’s going to have his work cut out to do more than make them tread water…and if you have games watched by as little as 7000 then the glamour is going to tarnish quickly. I have to say i agree with the sentiment that this was little to do with football and all about coming to america with "brand beckham"…shame really as he is an incerdible talent…

insomniac
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

Good for David Beckham I say. A bright kid with talent who has gone out and earned some serious dosh. People knock him, perhaps through jealousy, but he’s certainly not wasted his talent – and even a move to a club like this one in LA is, at least finacially, a good one.
    Can’t stick his wife though – a talentless moron who’s not as good or as bright as she thinks and has all the charm of a septic boil.

Euro
    • Total Posts 404

The ironic (to me at least) thing about this whole saga is the fact that if Beckham was American and played one of their sports to the level he plays football his true merit would be there for all to see and and he wouldn`t be famous in the slightest.

cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8799

Hi Euro – -welcome to the forum

Small Bear
    • Total Posts 52

hey euro, welcome to the debates!!

I’m not sure i get what you mean though?

Euro
    • Total Posts 404

American sports are stat driven as i`m sure you know. Beckham is a very one dimensional footballer and is generally given credit for being a lot more effective than he really is. But in American sports all aspects of a players performance have a numeric value – be it rebounds, home runs, catches etc etc and a one dimensional player would quickly be recognised and not made as much of a fuss over as Becks is.

Andrew Hughes
    • Total Posts 1904

Beckham is only a one dimensional footballer because of the stereotyping effects of English football. He has (or had) different facets to his game, other than crossing and freekicks.

Himself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3772

Beckham is only a one dimensional footballer because of the stereotyping effects of English football. He has (or had) different facets to his game, other than crossing and freekicks.

I’d love to hear what those different facets are.

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Small Bear
    • Total Posts 52

euro…thanks for the explaination…

in terms of other abilities…he was certainly one of the fittest men to play the game and used to run many miles more than anyone on the pitch. That kind of work rate and ground coverage has to be better than having a static player. Despite what you say about him being known for his free kicks and passing….i don’t think i’ve ever seen someone able to pass the ball over such distances with such accuracy…and i don’t think that it should be a bad thing that he is known for this ability. Plus, i don’t think one of the best clubs in the world would beg him to stay if they really didn’t think he was that talented!

Still, i think i have to agree that either this man has the biggest ego in the world and believes he can tame america…or it is all about money…and that’s the shame.

SirHarryLewis
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1208

euro…thanks for the explaination…

in terms of other abilities…he was certainly one of the fittest men to play the game and used to run many miles more than anyone on the pitch. That kind of work rate and ground coverage has to be better than having a static player. Despite what you say about him being known for his free kicks and passing….i don’t think i’ve ever seen someone able to pass the ball over such distances with such accuracy…and i don’t think that it should be a bad thing that he is known for this ability. Plus, i don’t think one of the best clubs in the world would beg him to stay if they really didn’t think he was that talented!

Still, i think i have to agree that either this man has the biggest ego in the world and believes he can tame america…or it is all about money…and that’s the shame.

I have always thhought that he was a limited footballer in general terms but he had a brilliant right foot for crossing and taking free kicks. Zidane he aint and as such he represents a victory of hype over reality.

That said, he has done very well for himself without having to sacrifice too much (except for marrying that bint) and its nice to see success.

SHL

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

Personally, I think it’s partly to do with the money, and partly because moving to America and becoming more well known there will give him (and her, or so they’ll think!) better opportunities to pursue other avenues after his football career is over.

I have nothing but respect for the man, so I’m having none of this ego business. He’s conducted himself in such a grounded and professional manner throughout his career (apart from one kick at an Argie!) that IMO he’s the best role model in football.

Andrew Hughes
    • Total Posts 1904

He has a great range of passing and has the ability to go past defenders. He rarely uses it and has rarely been asked to use it. But when annoyed or when trying to win games single-handedly (Greece springs to mind) he showed himself capable of going past two or three defenders one after the other.

He isn’t the only one to have his abilities stunted by English football. But that is a different debate

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.