The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

NHS…

Home Forums Lounge NHS…

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

This debate is hilarious .. the Yanks pay through the nose for worse health care than we get .. quotes like this[i:7lrzmqpb] [code:7lrzmqpb]”If 80% of Americans are getting better health care than we are in the UK then we ought to ask why, and we ought to ask how are we going to deliver equally good results.”[/code:7lrzmqpb][/i:7lrzmqpb] are brilliant, the other 20% are getting FA.

Capitalism at it’s very best, pay or die.

insomniac
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

"…stop the handouts and get out of Europe

Seems like a pretty good sort of policy to me.

insomniac
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

Hannan may be right or wrong in his comments re. the NHS. What is laughable though is the way some react whenever anyone dares to suggest that improvements can be made to it.
    The reaction of the media and Cameron to Hannan’s remarks are way over the top. One would think he’d committed some kind of blasphemy. The NHS is NOT perfect and is NOT above criticism. Most grown-ups can accept that, Cameron must realise that too and stop trying to stifle any criticism whatsoever of his party and their policies (whatever they might be).
    This episode says more about Cameron and the media (none of it flattering) than it does about Hannan and the NHS.

Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5616

There’s very little our increasingly septic isle can be proud of but of the NHS it certainly can be. An institution that above all else has been responsible for the increase in quality of life seen over the post-war years.

It isn’t perfect, and isn’t above criticism but it should be – if it isn’t already – the envy of the world, and most certainly of the USA for the reasons succinctly put by Dave Jay. So it’s a poor show for a Brit to pop over there and bad-mouth it when all he should have done was to encourage Obama’s proposed reforms by quietly saying ‘perhaps you should consider the NHS model and should you do so we would be only too happy to offer advice’

with all thy faults I love thee still

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8373

Maybe we needed something like this to happen; for people to look at the NHS and appreciate it; it’s like weather, we like to complain about it, because it’s what we do. As for where I work, can I just say that we really do try our best for everyone, but don’t get thanked as much as we should

. People, as ever, are quick to critiscise but not to praise. An occasional thank you does mean a lot!

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3326

To link Hannan and the Tory leadership is convenient for their political opponents, but hardly realistic. He’s an MEP, so he has no power whatsoever – and the NHS is one of the few things that Europe doesn’t try to control.

Funny that the BBC have featured this story as the main item in their news bulletins, but when the self same Hannan produced a criticism of the sainted Bottler in the European parliament, it passed unnoticed by Auntie.

insomniac
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

An excellent point AP

Kevin
    • Total Posts 295

Not sure if I can agree with you here AP.

The point many have been making is that Cameron alone is not the Tory party. The same old faces are still there. While Cameron has done well to keep them all quiet and say nothing his big problem comes when he has to start putting real policies out. Hannan, Duncan et al are all the Tory party.

Just wait till they have to put out a policy on Europe for instance and I am pretty sure they will al come out of the wood work.

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

The Tories would love to privatise the NHS, they hate the Public Sector with a passion .. they would all be millionaires if they could pull that off, imagine the kick-back they would get from the drug companies and the private health care racketeers?

The problem you have with capitalism is that when you put a price on something, like Health Care, it means that some people won’t be able to afford it, 20% in the case of the US (around 45M people). These folk will have a lower life expectancy than everyone else, will have to spend a higher proportion of the cash than everyone else on health care and will basically be stuck in a ghetto life style.

I find that morally unacceptable because in this day and age there is no need for it. It would be a massive step backwards for us as a country .. imagine what sort of life you would have if one of your kids was born with disabilities?

He’s an MEP, so he has no power whatsoever – and the NHS is one of the few things that Europe doesn’t try to control.

.. yet!

clivexx
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2160

The tories could not contemplate going into an election with a promise to dismantle the health service and i for do believe (given his personal experience in particular) that Cameron would never support that.

For all its faults (and i have seen improvements for sure) it is far more acceptable than the horrible (and expensive) US system

If we are looking for reform, we should be looking to europe…not the US

I am admirer of many aspects of the Great Satan, but not their health system

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

The Yanks talk a good game and sell themselves a lot better than we do, but when I visited there I wasn’t all that impressed. The country looks and feels like a bit of a dump really.

I’ll never forget driving through a run down area, in the middle of the day and nervously checking that we had enough petrol to get out of it.

yorkshirepudding
    • Total Posts 608

Their socal sercurity system is crap, its at times like this when their people are at food banks and ours at least still have state aid.

it means long term our population will be healthy and Americans wont be..

klifs
    • Total Posts 1

I passed a pet shop on my way to my uncle’s. You know I have two rabbits and almost every three weeks I have to buy foods for them. Usually I went to the market beside my home. While I found the rabbit foods on this pet shop is cheaper than that. I wanted to save this pet shop on my GPS, but I could find it on POI list because it was new built and very small. Thanks to my ZorroGPS, I set my current place as favorite at that time. So I can go there with my GPS.

Andrew Hughes
    • Total Posts 1904

Wise words, my friend.

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6217

You can’t beat a nice story about ‘ickle wabbits’!

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

Hey eveybody, these zorroGPSes sounds greatsies .. especially if you need some foods, for rabbitsies.

I’m running out ALL the time and I don’t even have one.

Andrew Hughes
    • Total Posts 1904

Presumably the ZorroGPS can also track down former much respected RP columnists?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.