The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Dalglish – time to go?

Home Forums General Sports Dalglish – time to go?

Viewing 16 posts - 18 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5576

I would also like to see Rafa Benitez back at the helm. He proved he could produce the goods in his first stint at Liverpool and if it were not for the Hicks – Gillett saga he might well still be there.

• Total Posts 614

I think too much emphasise is put on winning trophies. The decision to sack Dalglish is correct. They got more points under Roy Hodgson, and they didn’t spend £70m in doing so.

• Total Posts 1800

Correct, the goal is to maintain a sustainable and profitable business with a team that competes at the top table of football, if there is a breakaway world premier league, Arsenal would be in it, Liverpool would be in the second division, if that.

Nath keeps talking about trophies but apart from a solitary pot that nobody cares about, Liverpool had won sod all in the same period. All that matters these days is the PL and CL and at least Arsenal compete for those year in, year out, Liverpool’s target these days is 40pts.

Dalglish provides the wrong image for FSG and any professional team and has cost them £100million in bum deals and results – if it wasn’t for the lunatic blinkered fans he would have gone mid-way through the season.

Participant
    • Total Posts 31237

So your saying he would of got the sack if L’pool had won FA cup. Fair enough but I don’t think he would of.

The press and non Liverpool supporters and the ‘non blinkered’ Liverpool fans drum on about £100 million wasted but don’t forget the sell of Torres recouped £50million plus Merailes £10million so in total it’s about 40 mill max wasted if that. Carroll, Suarez, Henderson are all young so it’s a bit premature to judge that they are money wasted from one season, season and a half from the strikers.

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Participant
    • Total Posts 31237

Perhaps you’re right SB, in that PL + CL is all what’s it’s about but not every team can fulfil the 4 spots.. A tin pot is better imo than competing for CL spot but ending up 5th for example.

Arsenal and L’pool were touch and go until the win by Arsenal at Anfield then they went on a good run, Newcastle and Spurs pushed them close and it could easily of been Arsenal out of the top 4 aswell. Would they of sacked Wenger? doubt it. Arsenal were not comfortable at all this season and were by no means guaranteed a top 4 finish right up to the end. I don’t think things are as rosie there as some believe.

• Total Posts 1800

That’s how you keep your job, by winning either the CL or PL and you have to be in the CL to be thinking of winning a PL.

RDM at Chelsea next season and AVB at Liverpool with Harry at Spurs makes me laugh out loud :D

Participant
    • Total Posts 31237

You laugh out loud at RDM and AVB but between they have managed to achieve winning the CL in one season something Wenger hasn’t in over 14 years is it? and he didn’t even come close with his invincibles…….. :?

• Total Posts 1800

You’ve hit the nail on the head Nath, cups by their nature can be won by anyone as they do not reflect performance over an extended season, even Chelsea with their worst performance since Roman’s billion and being comprehensively outplayed by Barca and Bayern can still fluke it – if your names on it, it’s yours.

The only team that cannot win a cup is one that is not in it.

Well played Chelsea, I almost spat my beer out watching Platini grit his teeth and congratulate them :D

Shame about spurs but you can join them on the europa bus sponsored by channel 5 :P

Participant
    • Total Posts 841

In what way, shape or form is defending a 1-0 lead with 10 men against the best side in the world away from home is a fluke? How is over coming a deficit of 3-1 against a very good Napoli side a fluke? And how is Drogba scoring a fantastic header in the 88th minute a fluke?

The champions League is far more difficult and competitive then a premier league season, to back up my point no team has ever won back to back modern champions league titles and yet Man utd, chelsea and Barcelona have managed this (at times with ease) domestically.

It’s obviously a biased fans opinion that Arsenal are the best team in London as Chelsea are European and FA Cup champions and they’ve won the premier league more recently then Arsenal, while most of arsenals squad has never lifted a trophy for their club. Also Tottenham in my

opinion

play better and more attractive football then Arsenal.

• Total Posts 1800

You’ve answered your own question jbale.

The premier league is considered the most competitive league in the world and it takes place over 9 months, end positions aren’t the result of flukes or a bad refereeing decision, they’re the result of a years efforts and results.

You can lose a game massively in the PL but come back, you can be reduced to 10 or 9 men or lose a lead from 4-1 but it doesn’t matter, it’s a year’s competition.

But in a cup anything is possible over one round.

If a team that is only the 3rd best in London on overall league performance can beat potentially the best team in the world despite only having 10% of the ball, or 10 men, or 1 shot on target to 20, then that is what you call luck, as is surviving 90 minutes of non-stop assault against a team that doesn’t lose at home and needing that team to miss chance after chance and 3 penalties – that is luck.

But good luck to Chelsea, that is what cups are about, being lucky and only a spurs fan would have been cheering against them last night.

Participant
    • Total Posts 31237

quote – ‘but in a cup anything is possible over one round.’

ummmm, expect England having a chance at Euro 2012, ah. :wink:

Nothing is decided purely on luck in football. Their are plenty other attributes to take into consideration, saying it was all down to luck is pretty pathetic.

Take the penalties, you mention Bayern missed three.(luck I suppose)

But when England lose to Germany on penalties it’s that Germany have more bottle, technique and composure etc.

Barca had 90% possession, games are not won on possession and Bayern had chance after chance perhaps the skill of their finishing needs sharpening or perhaps Liverpool are unlucky as in plenty of one off matches in the PL they had the vast majority of possession and missed chances hit the bar and post the most times.

skill or lucky it looks like their both the same, depending on which side of the fence you stand.

• Total Posts 1800

Nope, read what I said again and read what all the pundits said – Chelski were very lucky but that happens in cups.

In the league, luck and skill balance out over the course of 9-10 months and 38 games.

Still hoping they keep RDM and AVB gets the posioned chalice and Harry stays at spurs though :wink:

Participant
    • Total Posts 31237

Yes Chelsea were lucky. But it’s only a small percentage in my opinion. Barca and Bayern were the favs, best teams but not taking chances wasting possession is down to skill levels aswell as luck.

• Total Posts 1800

So, looks like they’re going for a championship manager this time which considering their recent form is about right.

A bloke who nearly got Watford relegated and got ‘released’ by Reading, whose average strike rate is about 40%, well below KDs and far below what is needed to keep the posioned chalice – will he make it to christmas?

Spread 15-17 PL games.

The rumour it was to be Ken Dodd as he’s a proper scouser, could maintain the comedy theme and wouldn’t need to change the initials on the tracksuits were sadly not true but probably best for his future career.

Now, where’s that next next Liverpool manager market…

• Total Posts 790

Why is an Arsenal fan slating Liverpool?

Forgive me if i’m incorrect but don’t you have your own problems?

You’ve won naff all in 8 season’s is it now?

You’re wonderful manager has a habit of letting your best players contracts run down to their last year then selling them and replacing them with garbage!

Sorry I should have mentioned Arsenal are a well run club, They refuse to pay players huge wages, which is why they have lost out on players such as Juan Mata last year & Edin Hazard this year. Yet this ‘well run club’ feels it necessary to pay the likes of midfield maestro Diaby and wonder keeper Almunia over £60,000 a week!

Arsenal have sat at Europes top table for years, despite this UNBELIEVABLY Arsenal have NEVER been Champions of Europe. I mean how can this be? Surely Wenger should have lifted the trophy with hisInvincibles?

Henry loved Arsenal, he’d NEVER leave unless of course Barcelona came a calling and the opportunity to win the Champions league appeared. Fabregas loved Arsenal, until he like Henry got offered the opportunity to actually win Europes Elite competition with Barcelona. Surely i’m mistaken? Why would they leave a club who are in the Champions League every year so therefore have an opportunity to win it. I’ll tell you why because it isn’t going to happen.

At least Arsenal have the transfer window to look forward to, I heard Jan Vertonghen was heading to the Emirates? Oh hang on he’d rather play Europa League football at Spurs! What does that tell you?

You keep on talking about Liverpool to help forget about your own teams misfortunes my friend.

Here’s to another trophyless season in North London

• Total Posts 1800

What you mean is "here’s to another season representing England in the Champions League and competing as one of the top teams in the country and the world"

You keep banging on about a trophy but more important is maintaining the team to compete at the highest level rather than swapping that for being a second rate team that lucks out in a cheap cup competition every now and then that even teams like Fulham rest players for.

The fact that Arsenal have always been competing at the top level means it is just a matter of time before the worthwhile trophies return, then what will you say?

Mark Lawrenson said it all for Liverpoo this week when he said that Brendan Rodgers could not turn down the opportunity to manage a top ten team – even he accepts that Liverpool are only just considered as a team that should finish out of the bottom half of the table these days.

Keep living in the past, because that’s all you have now.

Viewing 16 posts - 18 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.