The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Coventry Stakes 2009

Home Forums Archive Topics Royal Ascot Archive Royal Ascot 2014 Coventry Stakes 2009

Viewing 11 posts - 86 through 96 (of 96 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Did I say Canford Cliffs hadn’t improved, stilvi? I don’t think I did. Reading it back it would appear that I said he hadn’t improved

away from

Rakaan – not quite the same thing, is it?

All I’m saying is that, given the subsequent disappointments of ‘superstar’ juveniles such as Three Valleys and Rainbow View, I would prefer to see how he handles himself next time out before jumping on the ‘he’s a freak’ bandwagon.

RedRiot
    • Total Posts 870

Looking at him he looks a baby, which would be a good thing cause there seems to be room for him to fill out and get stronger, which was against last years winner.

Rob V
    • Total Posts 173

One of the things I love about racing is seeing a terrific 2 Y O licking all comers in spectacular style. Whatever becomes of Canford Cliffs, I’m just savour the moment and dream about this horse.

I think the form of this Coventry is already working out well. The second horse Xtension had previously murdered Jehu by 4 lengths on his debut. Yesterday, Jehu won a 7 furlong maiden over at Thirsk.

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

In retrospect, it seems Aidan O’Brien did the right thing by keeping Steinbeck at home. :wink:

I’d go as far to say that the Coolmore team will be reluctant to take the Hannon superstar on anywhere.

I have not been impressed by a two year old for many a long year.

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

You bet he was right too and as far as him not getting a mile is concerned forget it.

Richard Hughes is adamant he will get a mile with no problem whatsoever and I agree.

Most horses that had come out like he did wouldnt see out the 6 furlongs at Ascot. At least not without coming back to the feld a bit.

This horses has gone so fast it took Hughes fully a furlong to get ahold of him. Even when he had settled he was still going so fast Hughes said he was still felt he was getting run away he was going so fast. The last thing you would expect is a horse to quicken after that but this thing just took off like a rocket and could easily have gone another furlong without any of those behind catching him

I’m sure Richard Hannon knows what they have to work on with the horse and if they can teach him to settle and realax more he’ll be a stonewall certainty in next years Guineas…….ask "H" he knows these things :)

I thought I had saw it all but this fellow is as Richard Hughes says is a freak. The last horse they said that about was Arkle over the jumps and we all know what he did.

I’ve already backed him again at 8/1 for the guineas and I’m waiting to get another bet accepted.

He’s going for the July Cup and when he hacks up in that you can expect 5/2 for the Guineas at best IMO

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

5/2 for the Guineas, a race 10 months away. It’s getting pathetic. I’m not saying you’re wrong, but it’s pathetic.

Anyway I’m still adamant that he should be 16/1. No horse should be less than that at this stage of the season for a race 11 months away. Anything less than 12s and you need your head looked at IMHO. I reckon you can only start looking at 8s in late-August at the earliest.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

He’s going for the July Cup and when he hacks up in that you can expect 5/2 for the Guineas at best IMO

I assume you mean the July Stakes which should be a little easier!

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Opps he’d have to take on Paco boy cant have that :lol:

5/2 is far from pathetic Zarkava. These bookies are famous for slashing horses that have no chance in races let alone an outstanding animal like this.

Kauto Star has 3m2f to travel round the toughest racecourse in the world.
    The ground could be a bog, Denman could come back to his best, Kauto could get injurded in another race God forbid. A dozen things could go wrong and you can only get 6/4 with 5 of the UK’s leading bookmakers.

If CC puts up another performace like he did yesterday and they wont lay you 3 bananas to 1 about him.

BTW the 8’s has gone with most already and he’s as low as 6/1 now.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Yeah, my point is that ante-post prices like those are absolutely pathetic. Punters have gotten used to taking stupid prices several months before the event happened.

Based on the 6/4, the chance of Kauto Star winning the Gold Cup in 9 months is the same chance Zarkava had of winning the Arc after the Vermeille. I mean it’s just crazy.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

But it’s my point too. You like myself had the insight to back Zarkava at 7/1 I believe. By memory I think I first backed her in June 4 months before the race. I backed Kauto 12 months before the race at the same price.

The thing is if you grab 8/1 just now about this horse you aren’t really gambling on him winning the Guineas. You are gambling on him winning his next race. If he does that well he will be slashed in price and then you will have all the time in the world to lay him.

Many people who before would never back a horse 10 months in advance of a race are doing so now. Thanks to Betfair..

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Aha! Now I understand. Your mind works like that of a trader’s and my mind works like that of a 1990s punter living in Manchester.

And I got 14s on Zarkava thank you very much! :P Put a very large EW bet on the day the market opened.

Viewing 11 posts - 86 through 96 (of 96 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.