The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Coventry Stakes 2009

Home Forums Archive Topics Royal Ascot Archive Royal Ascot 2014 Coventry Stakes 2009

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 96 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Welcome to the forum Our Vic and thanks for the comprehensive preview. Its Steinbeck for me in this one if it runs. Not only do I think it’ll improve a ton, it’s named after my all time favourite writer.

Thanks a lot. Sure i’ll enjoy it here. Anyway, i’m with you all the way.

Welocome Vic and I’m sure you will enjoy it.

I wasn’t actually that impressed by Steinbeck although he could be a horse for the future. He won well enough but I never got the impression he was an all out sprinter.

On the book he’s obviously better than AOB’s Air Chief Marshal who Gold Bubbles beat. Despite that race giving the AOB a good guide of Stienback’s chances of beating Gold Bubbles, Gold Bubbles started at odds on to beat him. That seems very strange for a horse the birds and trees were apparantly singing about.

Gold Bubbles form was far from franked by an odds on victory by Air Chief Marshal before getting stuffed a couple of weeks later.

I honestly don’t think this Irish form is much good at all and Steinbeck has beat very little. I’ll be surprised if he takes Canford Hills off the bridle at Ascot.

• Total Posts 99

Gold Bubbles form was far from franked by an odds on victory by Air Chief Marshal before getting stuffed a couple of weeks later.
    ———————————————————————————————————–
    Wouldn’t say he was stuffed, 3rd in a Listed race over a trip too short after getting in a Barging match is OK at the least.

• Total Posts 1511

Wow this thread is a bit premature since we dont have the decs yet. Steinbeck was very impressive on debut but not a fan of sending early season 2yr old over to Ascot on there 2nd run. He will likely to be quite short although unlike last year he is sure not to be another Peter Tchaviosky

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Where Royal Ascot form is concerned he was stuffed ok. He was beaten over 4 lengths by a horse who finished 5/7 the other day. Form is falling to pieces.

Granted Steinbeck isn’t really affected by that as he should have improved but 6f against this thing of Hannon’s is a big ask.

• Total Posts 99

Wow this thread is a bit premature since we dont have the decs yet. Steinbeck was very impressive on debut but not a fan of sending early season 2yr old over to Ascot on there 2nd run. He will likely to be quite short although unlike last year he is sure not to be another Peter Tchaviosky

Yeah, Peter Tchaikovsky was a bit of a blowout. But, he was extremely said their horses are going or not going, and i LOVE debating 2 yr old.

Stormwatch
    Participant
    • Total Posts 33

27 Entered

Canford Cliffs, Steinbeck entered.

Any thoughts on the others ?

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Yes! lets hope the next Nijinsky is lurking in the shadows :lol:

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Yes! lets hope the next Nijinsky is lurking in the shadows :lol:

You will need to wait for the National Stakes then!

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Couldn’t argue with that :wink:

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

The money just keeps pouring on Canford Hills and he’s now as low as 9/4 though there’ still a bit of 3’s. Good old Corals again!

Steinbeck is easy to back at 9/2 so if this is some kind of wonderhorse he’s a huge price for an AOB inmate.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

I don’t think there is much doubt he has been the biggest ante-post mover from 16/1 to 3/1 or shorter. On the downside would have liked a few less entries so the draw wouldn’t matter but that’s always the chance you have to take at Ascot.

Scottf
    • Total Posts 53

That may have something to do with O’Brien stating Steinbeck’s 50/50 at best to run. Might be worth topping up now :wink:

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Steinbeck isn’t certain to run, Fist, so I guess that is being reflected in his price (for what it’s worth I wasn’t at all impressed by his debut performance and will happily take him on).

Canford Cliffs obviously made a big impression in beating Rakaan, but I’m loathed to overlook another of Hannon’s entries –

Fremont

. He also beat Rakaan on debut, albeit by a short head rather than seven lengths, but he looked beaten until half-a-furlong out and made up two lengths in no time.

He looks smart to me and should benefit from a strong pace.

No Hubris would look to have chances, though we don’t know just how ready he was first time out – the weight of money for him suggests he was fairly straight – and Xtension has possibilities, but I’ll be keen to lay Red Jazz.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

I was just going to bed mate and had a quick look at the RP website and saw it. Bit of a shame really but can’t say I’m complaning? I see Paul Cole is keen on the chaces of No Hubris.

I know they have booked Ryan Moore to ride Fremont but I doubt very much is he is in the same class and he could just be in there incase we get a downpour.

It wasn’t so much he won his race it was more a case of Rakaan throwing it away.

newyork
    • Total Posts 215

Im glad o’brien is going to let steinbeck miss this race,over the last 10 yrs or so this race had been a grave yard for 2yrs,with only landeers and htn who both won this race going on to be classic winners,plus the rock and hre who were both unplaced but when to be very good horses.Funny enough all 4 were trained by o’brien.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

I don’t think its a bad thing we start these threads early. It gives us time to discuss the race and share ideas………..like get on at 5 and 6 ‘s :)

Very often someone will pick up on something others miss and it can save a fellow member a few quid. Like a horse may have another engaement that the trainer prefers. Even when trainers say a horse is running at so and so the bookies still have them at short prices for races they know aren’t going to run.

If you think this is early check out the Cheltenham section … we’ve been fighting about what’s going to win since 3 minutes after Punjabi past the post :lol:

carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

NRNB has tempted me into a few bets here:8-1 No Hubris, 20-1 Below Zero to recapture the glory days for Braveheart and a bit of 33-1 Emperor Claudius each-way: a very doubtful runner but a huge price if he does.

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 96 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.