The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Coventry Stakes 2009

Home Forums Archive Topics Royal Ascot Archive Royal Ascot 2014 Coventry Stakes 2009

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 96 total)
  • Author
    ARWalsh
    • Total Posts 25

I don’t see a reason why BM would not run Radiohead in the Coventry and instead have a crack at the July Cup. Just don’t see it. He obviously thinks alot of him and his perfromances have justified this IMO. His sire, Johannesburg loved the fast ground and so I can really see him doing very well this season.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Sometimes when watching a horse you get the impression here today gone tomorrow.

Radiohead gives me that impression big time

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Had a look at Stienbeck yesterday and I doubt if Richard Hannon will lose much sleep over him. He looks a nice sort but the second looked nothing like what they were making him out to be. I’m not convinced it was that great a race.

Monsieur Cavalier is a right horse and they say Canford Cliffs is better than him I won’t be looking any further for the winner. 5/1 seems awful big and the biggest gamble is not whether he’ll win but will he be the one he sends.

When do the entries come out for this?

• Total Posts 99

1 pt win Steinbeck
    1 pt e/w Red Jazz
    Canford Cliffs: By Tagula out of a Marju mare (Mrs Marsh), so bred to be speedy; Positive stable vibes proved right by impressive maiden win, tracking the leaders before being shaken up by Richard Hughes and going away to win by 7 lengths easily from Rakaan and Barzan; Former beaten by a nose when short priced favourite next time out and latter already won since before repeatable 5th in Woodcote stakes on Derby Day; Not hard to see him going very close but it is arguable what the from is worth.
    Steinbeck: Given very strong mentions by trainer (won this race in 5 times in last 13 years) in stable tour for the Racing Post as “a horse the birds in the trees are singing about" ; Proved his trainer right with good sharp success when pitched into conditions company at Naas first time out, travelling well, kicking on and winning eased down from Gold Bubbles (Winner previously beating Listed 3rd Air Chief Marshal), Rockymountainhigh, and King Ledley (1st juvenile winner of the season, with strong formlines); Massive potential and more to come; Major player.
    Moinesur Chevalier: arguably the most impressive juvenile horse seen this season, with a perfect 4 from 4 record, all obtained with a brilliant turn of foot; won on debut by 5 lengths from Diamond Laura in what looked an above average maiden for Folkestone, before then followed up in good style from Soccer in a Newmarket conditions race, with the Brocklesby winner Hearts Of Fire in 4th; Pretty much had an easy canter from Archers Road, who gave his form another boost when landing the Brian Yeardley at Beverley; Latest win was by far the most impressive, when winning National Stakes by wide margin considering he had trouble in running form Star Rover; Looks set for Norfolk stakes (5-1 fav) but if turning up here, looks set for major run.
    No Hubris: By Proud Citizen out of a Flying Paster mare (Innatness) so bred to be speedy over 6f; Made an impressive winning debut when breaking to lead from gate, staying the in the lead, quickening 1f out to take himself about 2 and a half lengths clear for the field, and winning pretty much unchallenged from a decent bunch of newcomers; The second has won since, and the 3rd was only beaten half a length by a good horse on Love Lockdown, so form working out ok, but has to step up on that here; Major player.
    Red Jazz: Beautifully bred colt by Johannesburg out of a Sword Dance Mare (Now That’s Jazz), so bred with a near – perfect mix of stamina and speed to last out a strong 6f (should get further); Broke smartly and blazed away to decimate opposition in 5f Windsor maiden; Stepped up on that from when winner of a good 6f conditions stakes over C&D, giving weight and a beating to Archers Road (winner again since) , and Little Perisher (winner again since) Fatellino (Winner again since ) and Walkingonthemoon (2nd behind Corporal Maddox, btn half a length at Epsom in the Woodcote stakes); Looks sure to improve again, nice straightforward colt, and has possibly been overlooked at 14/1.
    Corporal Maddox: By Royal Applause out of a Distant View mare, so was always going to stay a strong 6f and upwards; Green on his debut, he picked up his maiden at Hamilton last time and has now followed up in Listed company, which underlines his progressive profile especially given how far back he came from and how much he won by; Good form in the book, but trainer Karl Burke wants to wait for Newmarket’s July meeting, so it’s more likely he will be out in the July Stakes next, but if turning up here must have solid chance although many of his chief rivals do have better form.
    Air Chief Marshal: Looked badly in need of the run when weakening behind Gold Bubbles on debut; Put that right with easy 8 length win at Gowran Park next time out before having hampered passage last time out in Marble Hill Stakes when sent off 9/10 favourite; Does looks slightly exposed now and while he deserves to be here, he’s vulnerable to an improver.
    Little Perisher: Looked to be going somewhere with a good 3rd to Red Jazz (likely to reoppose) in conditions event over C&D and good maiden win, but disappointing at Epsom last time out and needs more.
    Radiohead: Speedy Johannesburg colt who was too green to do himself justice on debut, breaking slowly and becoming detached in last at halfway, before hanging when delivering his challenge and not helping Jamie Spencer; Much improved for the run, (as is case with most Meehan juveniles) next time at Newmakret, beating a field of mostly newcomers with ease; Entilted to win as he did, and needs to find more.
    Beethoven: One of few 2 yr old’s for Oratorio this season; Looked in need of the run at York when 3rd behind No Hubris (9/4 fav); Judged on his good 2nd to Love Lockdown (put his head down and battled all the way to the line) he has improved, but not enough to take a race of this calibre.
    Alrasram: Reported to have done planet of work before getting run out of it when looking much the best on paper for 6f maiden stakes at Newbury; Did it in nice style from Big Audio when 5/6 at Doncaster but needs to step up here.
    Love Lockdown: Just behind Pilgrim Dancer and Alfred Nobel on heavy ground at the Curragh on debut; Improved leaps and bounds for better ground and that run when clear cut winner of Leopardstown maiden, making all and winning easily, with the from being boosted by Emperor Claudius since; Showed very likeable attitude to beat better fancied Ballydoyle inmate Beethoven (put his head down and battled all the way to the line) giving weight away; Good enough to run well here, but surprise if he were good enough to win.
    Flying Statesman: Good 2nd behind No Hubris at York’s Dante meeting; Improved since that judged on nice Ayr maiden win at 2-5, but no reason why form should be reversed from that.

VERDICT: A race not lacking in quality, but a tricky one. Cranford Cliffs is sure to be popular after his demolition job 1st time out, but his race looked weak and he might be worth opposing. Coporal Maddox and Moinseur Chevalier looks to be missing this, and if they were to turn up should be respected, but are passed over on the grounds they won’t come. Radiohead was visually impressive last time out, but his form doesn’t stand up to much. No Hubris was very impressive when beating Flying Statesman and Beethoven, and should hold the form. However, when talking of potential, STEINBECK was highly though of his trainer before making an impressive debut at Naas, to beat some good horses with ease. The potential and room for improvement he has is just massive, and while he’s far from unapposable, he could be the best in the race. RED JAZZ is by far the best preferred of the others, and has the look of a solid e/w bet.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

VERDICT: A race not lacking in quality, but a tricky one. Cranford Cliffs is sure to be popular after his demolition job 1st time out, but his race looked weak and he might be worth opposing. Coporal Maddox and Moinseur Chevalier looks to be missing this, and if they were to turn up should be respected, but are passed over on the grounds they won’t come. Radiohead was visually impressive last time out, but his form doesn’t stand up to much. No Hubris was very impressive when beating Flying Statesman and Beethoven, and should hold the form. However, when talking of potential, STEINBECK was highly though of his trainer before making an impressive debut at Naas, to beat some good horses with ease. The potential and room for improvement he has is just massive, and while he’s far from unapposable, he could be the best in the race. RED JAZZ is by far the best preferred of the others, and has the look of a solid e/w bet.

It seems most of your conclusion is based on the opinion of Aidan O’Brien. He has hinted that the horse is good so consequently it must be. Given the subsequent performance of the third it looks as if Steinbeck effectively beat one horse on debut. There is nothing to suggest that form is any better than Canford Cliffs. I am happy to stick with the Hannon horse and assume Monsieur Chevalier will be the one to beat in the Norfolk if the rain stays away.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Is this a new race only open to nuns?

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

You stole my line :lol:

• Total Posts 99

It seems most of your conclusion is based on the opinion of Aidan O’Brien. He has hinted that the horse is good so consequently it must be. Given the subsequent performance of the third it looks as if Steinbeck effectively beat one horse on debut. There is nothing to suggest that form is any better than Canford Cliffs. I am happy to stick with the Hannon horse and assume Monsieur Chevalier will be the one to beat in the Norfolk if the rain stays away.

I do agree that Moinesur Chevalier will be the one to best in the Norfolk if the rain stays away, and 5-1 looks very big. Already a winner at Listed level, and a good one too.

My verdict is not based on O’Brien’s comments. Fact of the matter is that the horse was a winner in conditions company on it’s 1st run, has the potential to impove again, beat a decent horse and stable seem to think a lot of it. I could just as easily have picked Cranford Cliffs.

• Total Posts 99

What’s that meant to mean?

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3176

What’s that meant to mean?

You’ve spelt "Coventry" "CONVENTry" – a convent being where nuns of a religious order reside.
    David was going to crack the joke but Zarkava beat him to it ;)

Honor In Peace is one you haven’t taken a look at – wouldn’t rule him out of it.

The Humpty Dancer
    • Total Posts 45

Great opener Our Vic. Nice work.

I’m with Canford Cliffs for this one. Ironically enough I was against him with Tom Dascombe’s Barzan FTO after hearing good things about him, but oh how silly I looked after CC ran away after a couple of shakes!

I backed Art Connessieur in the Coventry last year after watching his impressive turn of foot last time out and he we all saw just how he picked up in the Coventry.

Might regret it but I’m happy to take Steinbeck on for this race. Can’t help but think we won’t see the best of him as a 2YO and think that others will be better suited to this race.

Both No Hubris and Red Jazz I view as real contenders but as unoriginal as it is, Canford Cliffs will win this IMO.

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9230

Welcome to the forum Our Vic and thanks for the comprehensive preview. Its Steinbeck for me in this one if it runs. Not only do I think it’ll improve a ton, it’s named after my all time favourite writer.

• Total Posts 99

Great opener Our Vic. Nice work.

I’m with Canford Cliffs for this one. Ironically enough I was against him with Tom Dascombe’s Barzan FTO after hearing good things about him, but oh how silly I looked after CC ran away after a couple of shakes!

I backed Art Connessieur in the Coventry last year after watching his impressive turn of foot last time out and he we all saw just how he picked up in the Coventry.

Might regret it but I’m happy to take Steinbeck on for this race. Can’t help but think we won’t see the best of him as a 2YO and think that others will be better suited to this race.

Both No Hubris and Red Jazz I view as real contenders but as unoriginal as it is, Canford Cliffs will win this IMO.

Agree with you on Red Jazz and No Hubris, but i much prefer the former. Only worry about Cfranford Clifffs is thweither his maiden was any good. Simliar story came up with Orizibaba, won by 13 legths oat Newbury, sent off 11/4 fav, finsihed 5th. Turned out to be a very good horse mind you (Group 2 winner)

Fair enough. AOB’S had about 5 covnetry winner’s in the last 13 years, so he can do the trick.

• Total Posts 99

Welcome to the forum Our Vic and thanks for the comprehensive preview. Its Steinbeck for me in this one if it runs. Not only do I think it’ll improve a ton, it’s named after my all time favourite writer.

Thanks a lot. Sure i’ll enjoy it here. Anyway, i’m with you all the way.

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

Aidan has stated on the main forum that Steinbeck is a probable NR

Good preview BTW

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

The same horse I gave a few weeks ago in the other Coventry Stakes thread.

No Hubris.

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

As I said on the other thread I think Steinbeck is overrated and I grabbed all the 5’s I could get about Canford Hills. The day after I posted it was all gone and the money has kept coming for him.

He’s regarded as Hannons best which is saying something a Mon Cavalier is one classy sprinter in his own right.

I reckon he’s the banker of the meeting.

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 96 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.