The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Count Dubois

Home Forums Horse Racing Count Dubois

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8393

I have just been reading about how prolific a stallion Count Dubois is, and realising that he was out of one of my all time favourite racemares; Madame Dubois, I have been trying to find out where she is these days. She was listed as belonging to the Clivedon Stud, but they appear to have been sold. I would love to find out more about her, and am thrilled to find out that she has produced such a good stallion. With regards to Count Dubois, his progeny seem worth keeping an eye on; they seem to be running in South Africa and America, but not sure about over here. I had the most wonderful letter in 1990 from the girl who looked after Madame Dubois in those days; she had just won at Doncaster and was about to go to France, where she duly obliged. She told me that the lad who looked after Madame Dubois had sadly died of a heart attack whilst riding out, but that he had such faith in her and they always felt that he was there pushing her across the line. Hopefully, he’s still keeping an eye on her and her progeny……

Sal
    • Total Posts 562

Hi Moe,
    As far as I am aware, Madame D is still owned by Cliveden Stud Ltd (the Freedman family) – although they don’t have the original stud anymore, that is still the name their interests are registered with.

She had an Authorized filly this year, but she is now quite an old lady (she was barren last year) and I’m not sure how many more foals she can have. Her 2yo is Saggiatore, who is in training with Ed Dunlop and had a thoroughly unexciting debut on Friday at Newmarket.

Not a big Count Dubois fan, but it is good to see he is having success in his field. He was sire of the champion 2yo filly in South Africa a couple of years ago and has had plenty of group winners out there, but nowhere else.

MD’s other successful ones have been Indian Haven (who will probably have much more of an impact as a sire over here than CD) and her daughter Place de l’Opera who has had three good runners here in Imperial Stride, High Pitched and Zero Tolerence.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8393

Thanks Sal; I have emailed the stud to find out more…..have spent the afternoon pondering what would happen if I found that she was no longer being bred from and no one wanted her, and having fantasies about putting her in the field where my old pony used to live etc etc. As I’m far to old and tired and penniless to do so it’s a relief to hear that she seems to have a good home for life! When she won at Doncaster I was so moved by the relationship between the filly and the girl that was looking after her I had to write to the stable and was so surprised to receive such a lovely reply. So sad for the lad who had such faith in her, though.

Indianhaven
    • Total Posts 1

Moe

Madame Dubois has been retired from breeding this year and the Authorized filly has recently been weaned.

She will shortly be leaving Watership Down, where she has boarded since Cliveden Stud was sold, and will be joining another old retired mare, Mill On The Floss, at the property where I now live.

Saggiatore chipped an ankle on her debut at Newmarket and may have another run on the all weather this winter.

I am afraid the e-mail you sent never reached me but I happened to come across this thread when looking for information about Count Dubois.

Best regards

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8393

Oh, thank you so much for that wonderful news! It was the first time that I had felt so emotional just by watching a horse in the paddock on the television. Please when you get her give her a huge hug from me; from what her lass told me she is an absolute darling of a horse..I hope she has many more happy years ahead of her! mo

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.