The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Coronation Cup

Home Forums Horse Racing Coronation Cup

Viewing 17 posts - 52 through 68 (of 89 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 1631

Great tactics and great ride Mr Kinane imo

Flash
    • Total Posts 1144

Hope people got on Scorpion 😉 . Ground is key to this horse. Superb ride from Kinane always well placed, kicked on and had the race won a furlong out.

• Total Posts 1631

Quote: from thedarkknight on 3:33 pm on June 1, 2007[br]Sir Percy has certainly done something wrong now – very flat<br>

<br>Aye, poor run – should have run better than that TDK imo, maybe got more eat up in prelims than we saw

Participant
    • Total Posts 1229

Dont know about the ground.  Scorpion for my money has shown  plenty on good ground and its clearly that important to him.

Great ride by Kinane but this race is almost always a really tactical affair open to being stolen by whoever moves at the right time.  

SHL

Participant
    • Total Posts 1229

Sixties Icon ran a stinker.

How is that ground anyhow… a genuine dig I imagine

SHL

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

Aidan

If Sir percy was just 70% fit in Dunia he would not have finished within 2 lengths of winning a group one. Simple as that

Dylan thomas beat nothing at all in the Irish Derby. that was a very weak race

That was an excellent ride today and good training performance to get Scorpion back. Will they try him in the Gold cup now?

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

very true SHL…come to think of it

For some odd reason, this is a race that has habitually been "nicked"

Aidan
    • Total Posts 1198

If Sir percy was just 70% fit in Dunia he would not have finished within 2 lengths of winning a group one.

It was a weak enough Group 1 in my opinion and as I said earlier. It was a slowly run race and he sat handy so had a big advantage. I wouldnt expect the first 3 in that race in Dubai (or indeed todays race) to even place in the King George or Arc.

Dylan Thomas of course beat the same type of horse in the Irish Derby as he in the English derby. Likes of Mountain and Dragon Dancer (who beat him at Epsom) were easily beaten on the bridle….Dylan Thomas also went on to win the Irish Champion Stakes.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Looking at the times, I’m of the opinion the ground is right on the cusp of soft/good to soft.

• Total Posts 1631

FWIW

<br>I settled on Good to soft after first two races DJ

madman marz
    • Total Posts 707

How about connections trying Sir Percy back over a mile, after all he was a 2 1/2 length second to that exceptional miler George Washington in the Guineas.<br>As for Sixties Icon, simply not as good as he looks sometimes, his victim in the leger, The Last Drop has hardly advertised the form this season.<br>As for the winner Scorpion, a not knocked about second at Chester, this was almost certainly his target for awhile, witness the late rush of cash for him. To me the horse won on merit, and would beat all those behind today, again, regardless what way the race was run.

Gareth Flynn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 583

Congrats to those that kept faith in Scorpion!

FlatSeasonLover
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2068

Not sure what to make of the race but i have run out of excuses for Sir Percy.

• Total Posts 1268

FSL,

I don’t think excuses are needed really. If ‘we’ insist on holding our 3yo championship race at the beginning of June over 12 furlongs at Epsom, we cannot really be surprised when the winners are often not capable of sustained top-class form.

Sir Percy won a half-decent group standard staying event at this time last year, but benefitted from being ready to go at that time. He does not seem to be the best horse of his age group.

• Total Posts 2432

FSL, there is one more race to consider before I join you in the Garden of No More Excuses.

Tregoning’s original target, the Prince of Wales over 1m 2f. It is rare for the race to be run on soft ground and now, as AP wryly comments, we’ll get a price.;)

I’m sure Aiden will back me up here. I wrote on two occasions that Sir Percy is a better horse on better ground, contrary to the prevailing orthodoxy. His worst run as a 2-y-o was at Goodwood, on soft ground. He was never going to quicken on it yesterday and was not given a hard race.

Yesterday’s ground was a gluepot – not fit for saddleback pigs, never mind thoroughbred racehorses – and only a few horses acted upon it.  If you weren’t up with the pace, (as AOB brilliantly worked out), you were unlikely to win the races.

Yesterday was extremely disappointing  – not to say cripplingly expensive – but SP deserves one more chance imo.  

Aidan
    • Total Posts 1198

If Sir Percy cannot beat the likes of Scorpion and Septimus, I really dont give him much chance against the top 1m2f horses….

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Quote: from Aidan on 1:44 pm on June 2, 2007[br]If Sir Percy cannot beat the likes of Scorpion and Septimus, I really dont give him much chance against the top 1m2f horses….

Yep, Aidan, that’s a really unbiased and objective view; judging him on yesterday’s race.<br>Perhaps he should wear some shamrock?

Viewing 17 posts - 52 through 68 (of 89 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.