The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Eclipse 2011

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Eclipse 2011

Viewing 17 posts - 52 through 68 (of 211 total)
  • Author
    Presto
    • Total Posts 315

If you read last years Great Voltiguer thread you’ll see I clearly rate Rewilding as one of the top 1m4f horses in the world and he went on to frank my theory in Dubai and toppple the hyperbole off So You Think this year.

I agree with what you’re saying about who he beat over 12f but he can only beat who turns up? that’s what’s so great about times is you don’t need the field to turn up to be able to get a handle on the effort of a horses performance.

I don’t like a lot of your more brash posts Mr. Wilson but am very impressed you rated Rewilding top class so early. Whatever system you use must be working nicely.

Can I ask whether or not Nick Mordin’s times analyses are always accurate? For example, I heard that his saying that Behk finished faster off a faster pace than Midday in the Prix Niel may have been suspect. What about his conclusions? For example, his conclusion that Behkabad and Galikova have posted astonishing figures (in the Sea The Stars and Zarkava category). I know his other analyses aren’t to be taken as gospel but just wondering on that front.

The Prince of Wales’ thread got ugly so I left, but someone mentioned SYT tired at the end of one of his 10f races down under (Cox Plate I think) but in that race Arnold took off early and sprinted for 3+ furlong so he was probably entitled to tire. I personally still think he’ll get 10f and probably 12f (on pedigree and his Melbourne Cup run) but obviously has it all to prove.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

you guys should go do some homework on so you thinks australian runs, the horse has a high cruising speed and by the time the field hits the mile post their race is near over, he just goes to another gear.he is a on pace runner . didnt they run near a race or track record at Ascot??

Then maybe you’ll explain why he didn’t do it at Ascot, in a race run almost a second slower than the course record – set by a listed class horse?

AIC
    • Total Posts 116

I read somewhere the track at Ascot was rated good-soft and closer to soft in parts?

If that’s the case it would suggest why they struggled to run any sort of time in any of the other races, and serves as proof of the breakneck pace in the POW. A soft track by UK standards is a slow track in Australia and I can tell you if they ran the Cox Plate on a dead-slow track at Moonee Valley there is next to zero chance they’d get within a second of the track record, pacemaker or not. Something exceptionally stupid would have to happen up front and it would be pretty unlikely the stalker would only get rolled in the last stride – and the likely winner would be the one with the most stamina and not necessarily the best horse.

• Total Posts 14

Yes,John Berry should stick to training, the man has never had a runner there to judge.Personally if i were looking for better value i would rather be backing Snow Fairy to run in to 2nd,though really it is a no bet race unless you like to take the shorts on the fav,Heffernan knows the horse will ride him a bit colder he will sprint quickly and put paid to them comfortably IMO.I would prefer to see Workforce first,to see exactly where he is at.

Participant
    • Total Posts 647

2/1 looks too big to me for WF, I’d have him slight fave so 2/1 is mega value.

Think his prep run in the Brigadier was more impressive than he’s been credited for, thought he reeled in Poet nicely enough, Stoutey despite the dry spell will have him tip top for this and he’ll have too much for SYT.

Too early to judge SYT, personally I rate Rewilding very highly so no disgrace in that defeat but Workforce is even better, he had Rewilding how many lengths beat in last years Derby?

Should be a corker but if Workforce runs to hios best he’ll win, loving the 2/1.

Participant
    • Total Posts 33016

you guys should go do some homework

didnt they run near a race or track record at Ascot??

very intelligent whoever you are, so .346 outside the course record on a good to soft track isnt a huge effort??

you forget how many centuries they have raced at royal ascot

. not bad for a australian hack as many europe knockers seem to enjoy saying he is.

Critter,

If you are going to criticise others for not doing their homework and forgetting about things, you really should get the facts straight yourself.

The "course record" is not taking in to account "centuries they have raced at Royal Ascot". The course had extensive work and changes carried out from 2004 to 2006. Course records only take in to account racing since then.

Value Is Everything
    fivelongdays
    Participant
    • Total Posts 693

I’m not sure if the twos available on Workforce this morning’s still going, but that is pretty good value.

For an Arc and Derby winner, that’s kinda daft. My only concern is that he might find the trip a wee bit too short.

We don’t quite know how good SYT really is – he may be the real deal, he may be overrated, we just don’t know. Odds-on is too short for me. Plus, you’d say 10f was his optimum trip, but he did lose last time out to a horse who you’d think needed further.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again – a real shame Cape Blanco isn’t in the race, as I think he’d have given the first two in the market something to think about.

Twitter=@PGHenn

So don't run, just like the others always do

Getzippy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1152

I know this comes from the man who said Carlton house would trot up in the Oirish Derby, but…

So You Think can take this. OK, price isn’t great, but I feel he has superior speed to Workforce and he’ll win it by a length or two.

Zip

Ps,
    I need a winner on these tipping threads and I don’t care how short it is!!

Onthesteal
    • Total Posts 1387

I take So You Think to give the mighty Rewilding a boost.

:mrgreen:

• Total Posts 1046

Think Snow Fairy has a cracking chance, any improvement from her excellent Hong Kong win and she should be right in the mix :D

SoYouThink
    • Total Posts 42

Workforce DERBY/ARC winner! wins, the horse destroyed a field on his debut despite being about 30% fit.

So You Think, the Emerald dog, yet again will come up short at World Class level.

Ladbrokes "we took a £40k bet" Oh yeah mate, I’m sure you did, how can people not get £40 on with you then? this is just an excuse for you to get mug punters who think So You Think is the next Mill Reef, Sea Bird, Dancing Brave by going on odds on against Workforce.

Workforce is trainned by a better trainer
    Workforce is faster
    Workforce is classier
    Workforce has more stamina
    Workforce has had the perfect preperation
    Workforce WINS"

Call me a catch but the above is so full of sweeping generalisations and false assumptions that it can’t be taken seriously. If any racehorse turned up for a race, let alone a Group 3, 30% fit, they would be beaten a distance. Workforce was say 90% fit. The idea behind a prep is to put a horse fully spot on for later targets, not to take him from 30% fitness to 100%.

He did not destroy the field either. He scraped home from a mudlark giving him seven pounds. A satisfactory performance of course, but I seen no destructions.

I have not seen So You Think mentioned in the same sentence as those horses until now.

All six of your statements can be taken argued too. Both trainers are legends of the game, neither is superior. Workforce has no Group Ones over 10f, So You Think has 7, so I’m not sure Workforce is faster. Stamina, again debateable – has Workforce ever placed in a Melbourne Cup? Preperation? Unless, you know something the rest of us don’t, I can’t see how you can make a call on that.

Just to caution those backing Workforce. His form in small fields is open to question. The 5 runner Dante and 6 runner King George are his worst performances to date. I have not looked at his maiden, as it’s not really relevant to today, – I’m also sceptical about reading too much into the Dante – but the King George is what worries me. If you look at Derby and the Arc, he comes between horses and seems to enjoy racing like that. Could be one of those that requires cover and then likes to come through horses. His Brigadier Gerard is inconclusive in this sense.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

The race of the season so far for me, just chinning Canford Cliifs and Goldikova. Workforce ran a cracker, and of course may be able to turn the tables over a mile and a half.

However, So You Think wasn’t stopping at the line and i hope they meet again later in the season.

Seamie Heff was cool as a cucumber and proves his worth to the Ballydoyle operation. Could this open the door to the no.1 spot?

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

It was a hard earned victory, for which I’m glad. Workforce lost nothing in defeat over a distance two furlongs short of his best.

My view is that So You Think remains a very good animal but he most definitely is not the wonder horse many believe him to be.

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

• Total Posts 1415

Given that So You Think was favoured by the distance today he’s clearly not the wonder horse he was made out to be but he is very good. Twelve furlongs Workforce wins, ten furlongs So You Think wins.

Fascinating race, two very smart horses.

• Total Posts 1415

HAIL THE BEST HORSE IN THE WORLD "SO YOU THINK"
    and he did it coming from behind, eased up on the line.

:roll: So You Think isn’t the best horse in the world and he wasn’t eased up either, maybe five yards.

Avatar photoRubyisgodinthesaddle
    • Total Posts 1150

So you Think still did not settle for the first 3f…was struggling to get him restrained. Workforce has the complete run of the race…racing far out of a easy in fact farcical early pace.

Came and done him with the minimum of fuss….Good performance and put Workforce in his place.

• Total Posts 17

Great finishing race!

So You Think is the horse to beat in Euro 10F race, but Workforce is beaten with no disgrace!

Viewing 17 posts - 52 through 68 (of 211 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.