The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Eclipse 2013

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Eclipse 2013

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 661

Could this be Dawn Approach’s next stop? Magician could go down the mile option, Goodwood after Ascot? With Farrh injured, Snow Fairy precocious, could be worth a back to lay option on Camelot. I really dislike him, and glad to take him on, but if he turns up, will likely be around evens.

I can virtually guarantee you that Magician is going to the Eclipse (barring accidents of course).

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

The wimpish way to treat horses…Dawn Approach…. if he ever comes back!Did he break a leg?I don’t think so.Everyone bites the bullet in Jim’s yard.

• Total Posts 447

The wimpish way to treat horses…Dawn Approach…. if he ever comes back!Did he break a leg?I don’t think so.Everyone bites the bullet in Jim’s yard.

Come on Andy, horses are not machines. DA just had a torrid time in the Derby where he pretty much bolted. Bolger will need to take time to train him to settle again, and maybe he since he got a fright in the stalls he will need to have his confidence built up with loading. As a horsey person myself I can tell you that horses can have a lot wrong with them besides a broken leg. Horses have very good memories for traumatic or upsetting experiences. It can sometimes take a lot longer to get them mentally "right" than physically.

• Total Posts 20

I’m not sure I’d back a horse in the Eclipse that’s run Chester, Irish 2000 and St James Palace. That’s quite a heavy schedule in a short space of time. I know Giant’s Causeway ran in 3 group 1s plus the Gladness prior to winning at Sandown, but that’s probably an exception rather than the rule, especially for three year olds. As for Magician being regarded as Ballydoyle’s best three year old, there ends up being so many rumours leaked from there as to pecking orders etc, I’m not sure AOB always really knows who’s best until after Ascot time and who knows where Kingsbarns will emerge if/when he returns.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1660

I hear that Unbridled Command (another American horse sold to Australians, but was moved to the barn of Ed Dunlop) may run in this race, although the Hardwicke seems more his level. Unbridled Command isn’t half the horse that Animal Kingdom is, though. In fact he got beaten by AK in his most recent start, the Gulfstream Park Turf Handicap back in February. He had a good win in the Hollywood Derby last year, but that’s really all he has going for him.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

Magician has disappeared from the betting lists for the Eclipse and I note that Ruler Of The World seems to be coming in for support. If Al Kazeem or Camelot win today their odds will surely collapse to fairly skinny proportions.

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

• Total Posts 20

How many Prince of Wales winners have done the double, especially since it became a group 1? I’d love to see Intello come back over for it, but I imagine he’ll stay for the Grand Prix de Paris and then the Arc.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

How many Prince of Wales winners have done the double, especially since it became a group 1? I’d love to see Intello come back over for it, but I imagine he’ll stay for the Grand Prix de Paris and then the Arc.

Charlton suggested that the Eclipse may come too soon. If Al Kazeem were an assured runner he’d be pretty short but it seems the King George will be more likely on the way to a tilt at the Arc, where he is currently best priced 10/1, which I would take over the 8/1 Ruler Of The World (at this stage anyway)

• Total Posts 20

I’m not keen on antepost betting and definitely not for the Arc in June, there’s plenty of time for something to emerge or unfortunately, for things to go wrong.

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

ONE EYE,
    I only know what I read in the papers.I don ‘t claim to have a personal knowledge of what goes on in either O’Brien’s or Bolger’s yard.Just what I read.Bolger does not wrap his horses in cotton wool and Aidan constantly defers to Joseph’s opinion.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

After a poor Ascot, some decent news for me. Al Kazeem IS to run in the Eclipse rather than the King George. In to 2/1 fav on the back of that news.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

Only eight left in the field now and Al Kazeem is best priced 6/4 at the moment.

Unbelievably, after being mentioned in retirement terms, Camelot is as low as 6/1 for the race now. There’s still time for him to off favourite yet :roll:

Participant
    • Total Posts 139

I like the look of Pastorius @ 12/1 with ladbrokes is possibly one to consider.

• Total Posts 447

Can somebody please explain to me why the weight-for-age allowance is so generous? 11 pounds is a massive difference in weight for Mars compared to the rest of the field, justified by only a one year age difference. Surely this is too much?

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

Surely if the weight allowance was too generous the three year olds would win most seasons? The ages of the past generation or so of winners seems fairly evenly spread though.

I don’t fancy Mars even with the allowance and for me he is still a horse that people are waiting for to come good and have been assuming he has been unlucky. His Derby run doesn’t look so good now with Chopin and Battle Of Marengo amongst the unplaced ones making no impact next time and the 1st and 2nd falling flat in the Irish version to further dampen enthusiasm. If we look at his Guineas run and use Van Der Neer as a reasonable yardstick in third, then that horse has failed in Gp3 company and then unplaced today in a listed race. It doesn’t really set the pulse racing. Mars fans will point to an improved effort at Royal Ascot in finishing closer to the Guineas 1,2 but I think it would be wise to remember that both Toronado and Dawn Approach were coming into the race after setbacks and they fought out a desperate finish after a messy race in which Magician totally flopped and there was little depth to the field outside of that.

As it stands Mars has only won a 7000 Euro maiden so far, he has been up and down the trip ladder and they are sticking a hood on for the first time tomorrow. He is as low as 9/2 for the Eclipse. It seems crazy to me that Al Kazeem, who has won his last four races and has netted around half a million quid, whom is very consistent, is a course and distance winner, has beaten several of his main rivals already and who could still be improving, is available at 9/4

The Fugue is repected but she doesn’t win as often as I’d like to see and is passed over on that account. Declaration Of War has the scope to be a danger but I’m not sure the race he won at Ascot was so great with the hot fav running like a Reliant Robin with three flat tyres and a burst petrol tank. I’ll stick with Al Kazeem until he gets beat.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32174

I favour Al Kazeem here although I’m not overly confident as if Mukhadram sets a slow pace there is a few that could out speed Al Kazeem and if it’s a fast pace and he gives him too much rope early on he could struggle to peg him back this time at this track. Ideally it will be a fast pace with Al Kazeem sat a couple of length’s away.

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Participant
    • Total Posts 89

Ok, I know that everything i’ve tipped lately has turned to stone but i’ll stick my head above the parapet again!

I have been a big Al Kazeem fan but noticed he’s drifted on the exchanges from 6/4 to 9/4 so he’s too short for me. I don’t famcy the O’Brien horses and can’t see The Fugue beating Al Kazeem. Also, fillies / mares have a horrendous record. I bet Danedream in last years King George and my feeling is that the German horse Pastorius is under rated so it’s e/w pastorius with ladbokes 1/4 odds first 2 for me

Good luck all :lol:

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.