The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Coral Cup 2020

Home Forums Cheltenham 2020 Coral Cup 2020

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Venture to CognacVenture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 17031

Usual minefield here……

https://www.racingpost.com/racecards/11/cheltenham/2020-03-11/750545

https://www.oddschecker.com/cheltenham-festival/coral-cup-handicap-hurdle/winner

Even with the advantage of NRNB, it’s still risky to play in this kind of race, as with so many alternative engagements for these, I think there’s the potential for an early bet to unnecessarily confuse matters.

Just an early view…..

Protektorat – Market leader, and he’s been screaming “Coral Cup” all season. Hard to pick holes in him. 12’s

Burrows Edge – I thought he’d be favourite for this after his Lanzarote win, but he held at 33’s. I was amazed by that, as I thought there was only one option for him. Unfortunately, as I tried to restrict my number of bets, I missed out, and I won’t get a sniff of 33’s now. Big big player here, and he’s still a fair price. 20’s

Bachasson – Real favourite of mine, and had a decent comeback last week in The Boyne Hurdle. If the Handicapper doesn’t hammer him, then he’s weighted on his Irish Mark to run a very big race. 16’s

Coko Beach – Overall Profile suggests he’s got work to do, but I just think he’s shaped as if he’s got more to offer, and I think he’s an interesting outsider 33’s

Floueur – Same sentiments as Coko Brach really, and he’s got potential 25’s

Flash The Steel – I’m happy to forget his last run, and I think he comes here as something of a forgotten horse. His form last year, as well as his win in The Silver Trophy, gives him a fair chance, and it looks as if he’s been kept under wraps for this. Nice price 33’s

Ilikedwayurthinkin – Hardly breaking news this, as he’s been mentioned all over the place this winter as being laid out for Cheltenham. Very eye catching run over Christmas, and although The Martin Pipe looks the race for him, if he got harshly treated, then they might look here. 25’s

Janidil – I think this horse has a future outwith Handicaps, but he’s got plenty of options at the meeting. 20’s

Nordano – Couldn’t fail to be impressed with him last week, and there’s surely more to come. 25’s

Palmers Hill – Love this horse, and if he returns to the track in the same nick he was seen in last time, then a huge player at the meeting. Looks one for The Martin Pipe, but a big run at Kempton today might just bring him into the picture for this. Makes huge appeal with NRNB 33’s

Peregrine Run – Really tough and genuine sort, but being so ground dependent, who knows if he’ll trap. I’d be very interested to see what mark he gets. 40’s

Run Wild Fred – Despite being another who looks bound for The Martin Pipe, he’s still a bit big here at 25’s. Really decent run last week from him. 25’s

Tamaroc Du Mathan – Great run last time in The Betfair, and he ticks a fair few boxes here for this yard. 20’s

Thosedaysaregone – Been following him since his Bumper Days, they clearly had a horse they were going to have some fun with, and it all “clicked” in The Ladbroke at Leapordstown. It’ll probably depend on his mark. 20’s

Top Moon – Had my eye on him all season, and despite a relatively poor run last time, he remains one with potential.33’s

Obviously just scratching the surface here, but those are the ones jumping out.

Bachasson and Burrows Edge are big fancies, but Palmers Hill appeals as a sensible NRNB option right now. If he flops today, he’ll not get in here. If he runs a big race, then they’ll surely consider it.

Palmers Hill 33’s EW 5 Places NRNB

clivexx
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1187

Good stuff.

My fav handicap of the season and oddly one I’m very lucky in (last year a highlight)

• Total Posts 17031

Bet you can’t beat my record in it Clive….

2017 Supasundae (in running)

2004 Monkerhostin

Beat that lol

All joking aside, it’s always a bloody good race, and my lack of success in it doesn’t stop me trying.

Very happy with Palmers Hill today, but Martin Pipe more likely now, and obviously the old “bounce” theory to overcome as well.

clivexx
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1187

I had monkerhostin too

B-)

clivexx
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1187

If I bother to look at the records, what I say will possibly be bollocks but it does throw up winners of quality (super sundae) and not too many illogical winners.

I usually go on the weds too and it’s a cracking spectacle

Cork All Star
    Participant
    • Total Posts 281

I have never had the winner of the Coral Cup! The best I have managed is third with Activial behind Aux Ptit Soins in 2015. At least I was on each way.

Yet I have had 4 of the last 9 winners of the Pertemps Final and had the runner up in 3 of the of the other 5 renewals! I have no idea why one race seems to suit my way of thinking but in the other I am clueless.

• Total Posts 17031

Same here Cork.

Pertemps has been good to me, but definitely not The Coral Cup.

Maybe the best approach is to bin the usual approach, and see what happens.

jackh1092jackh1092
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2263

I’ve backed one of the mares i like Eglantine Du Seuil for this and the County. NRNB.

They’ve always hinted she’d be better over a longer trip, so here would suit. She has decent form over 2m as well.

Just feel maybe this trip might unlock some more improvement.

Twitter: Jackh1092
    Hindsight is 20/20 so make the most of it!

KevMcKevMc
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1221

Two i’ve played NRNB each way –

Top Moon 33/1.
    Ran a cracker behind Alfa Mix when she was rated 127. Mark gave him a tender enough ride once he realised he couldn’t win and the stiff 2m 5F will suit perfect here and this race more than not goes to prominent runners.

Alfa Mix 25/1.
    Same form line with Top Moon, beating that rival nicely before bumping into the well handicapped Kilfenora. Thought AM was given slightly too much to do there aswell and she should suit the stiff trip and racing handy to mid division will suit also.

• Total Posts 17031

Good luck with Top Moon Kev.

Had him in mind for something like this since Listowel, but even though he’s on the “shortlist”, he’ll probably not get my Coral Cup curse here. Be a sore one if he does it.

FinalFurlong91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1396

Really like dame de compagnie

Especially with nicky going to the trouble of getting her back down to 140

And hearing him say on the unibet preview that geraghty will likely be riding her not birchdale

• Total Posts 17031

Definitely having another bet here, but real quandary. Money back from Palmers Hill, but I might keep half of it.

I said I was going to have to go with a different approach this time, but it’s still mostly the original shortlist who appeal.

I have Thosedaysaregone who I’ve followed from Day One, while Stratum looks a snip.

I just have to bet Bachasson based on his comeback, and also Burrows Edge, who I believe was in the process of getting a shrewd ride in The Lanzarote before it was handed on a plate to him. Looking at his mark, I reckon they still got away with it.

I’ve also got my notebook horse to contend with, Top Moon, while Black Tears is really interesting.

Minefield, but I’ll go with…..

Bachasson
    Burrows Edge
    Thosedaysaregone

EuroalienEuroalien
    Participant
    • Total Posts 211

A little E/Way on Eglantine Du Seuil for me. Ran a great race at Leopardstown @ 2 miles and will be better for this longer distance! A plus with Rachael in the saddle.

Middle_Of_MarchMiddle_Of_March
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2615

Am here for the week again and I love watching this race from the grandstand. A tradition for the CC.

Anyway.. I really really like Black Tears.

Played:
    Black Tears – 18/1 E/W 7-places
    Traffic Fluide – 25/1 E/W 7-places
    Alfa Mix – 10/1 E/W 7-places

Saver on Dame De Compagnie

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2866

Absolutely no clue but will back all the rags EW with Paddy Power to 7 places for a bit of fun.

Sayo 80-1
    Golan Fortune 80-1
    Fagan 80-1
    Chesterfield 100-1

Sayo has not looked in love with the game but having backed him several times I need to put sonething on him at this price. Hopefully Mikey Fogarty can humour him.
    The other 3 have course form (waay back in the case of the last two old codgers but I like the trainers of both of these and hope they can conjure something up).
    Ground and trip should suit the first three; not sure about old Chesterfield but maybe he can settle a bit better than he did in his youth.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.