Commonwealth Cup Royal Ascot

Home Forums Archive Topics Royal Ascot 2016 Commonwealth Cup Royal Ascot

This topic contains 30 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by stevecaution stevecaution 3 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Nathan Hughes
    Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 20804

If Shalaa can maintain his two year old form let alone improve then the 4/1 looks big here or am I missing something?
    Gosden has pulled his star out of the guineas which he always said Shalaa would continue sprinting and the Commonwealth Cup a target.

Don't Eat The Pie and Don't Buy The S*n

nwalton
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1735

be interesting if he turns up for the Pavilion at ascot,a race Limato won last season

Triptych
    Triptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8628

Gosden has Shalaa entered up for York on May 11th for the Duke of York Clipper Logistics Stakes
    I was hoping he might have let him take his chances in the 2000 Guineas but the Commonwealth Cup looks to be his target. I’m hoping that Limato and Twilight Son have their chance to shine this year with Muhaarar tucked away at stud and that Shalaa isn’t going to spoil the party for them.

It’s going to be an exciting flat season ahead and I’m so looking forward to seeing Shalaa run again, haven’t heard any reports as yet as to how he’s progressed but it shouldn’t be long now. :rose: Jac

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    Chivers1987
    Chivers1987
    Participant
    • Total Posts 876

Limato is being lined up for the Lockinge this year, though Henry Candy said it is a bit of a fact finding mission. The problem is there isn’t many big 7f races around, the distance that he looks best suited to. I imagine he will be given another chance over 6f at some point.

Twilight Son could be anything this year being so lightly raced.

Anyway, on this race.
    Shalaa at 4/1 is a great price. There’s no question marks as to what he is being aimed at and I think he could improve more than enough to not let any progressive type get close to him. I’ll sleep on that price for a couple of days and wait for any more noises coming out of the camp.

stevecaution
    stevecaution
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 8280

Just after John Gosden revealed that Shalaa was highly likely to stay at sprint trips as a three year old, bookmakers went 8/1 on him for the Commonwealth Cup and I figured the horse was highly unlikely to be bigger than that and potentially might be an awful lot shorter come the day of the race.

If Shalaa makes a winning re-appearance, I believe he will be as short as a carrot for Royal Ascot.

I felt La Rioja was a horse with speed and scope for Henry Candy and while she has to find a bit with Shalaa, she seemed well worth a saver at 14/1 for the Commonwealth.

This was La Rioja in the Dick Poole at Salisbury and she simply dismantles her field. She is a sizeable filly who may well be a contender if forward enough early season to be prepared for Royal Ascot. She clearly acts well on soft and that may be an asset at some stage of the season:-

http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/race-replays/3/55379/

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

stevecaution
    stevecaution
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 8280

Shalaa is 10/1 with Ladbrokes in the ante-post betting for the Duke Of York Stakes.

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

Nathan Hughes
    Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 20804

I saw that too Steve.
    I am slightly concerned that Frankie said Galileo Gold is the best Al Shaqab horse, thought that he would have said Shalaa. Maybe he has an entry for the York race but is bypassing it? 10/1 would be a Geoff Capes size price if he turned up.

Triptych
    Triptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8628

I’m holding fire on making any bets on Shalaa at this early stage. The big prices seem to me like bookies trying to draw punters in, if I saw that price with a run I would jump on it.

Steve..La Rioja was one of my 2 year olds to follow last year, she is a real talent and I was hoping she might be aimed at the Queen Mary or The Albany. I can’t see her beating Shalaa if he comes back as good as or better than he was last year.

However, with no reports from Gosden regarding Shalaa’s well being this season let’s hope that he hasn’t peaked early and run all his best races as a 2yo…I’m sitting on the side at the moment it’s still early days.
    I still think he gets more than 6 furlongs (look at all his races he was either running on comfortably or being eased… not tiring) and wish he’d taken his chance in the 2000 Guineas. Jac

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    Nathan Hughes
    Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 20804

I saw that too Steve.
    I am slightly concerned that Frankie said Galileo Gold is the best Al Shaqab horse, thought that he would have said Shalaa. Maybe he has an entry for the York race but is bypassing it? 10/1 would be a Geoff Capes size price if he turned up.

My apologies have just read the full article and Frankie goes onto say he is looking forward to riding Shalaa this year
    just gives a better write up for GG

nwalton
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1735

anyone think 10s Washington DC is an ok price? I rarely play AP but think that looked fair enough.Not played yet as wondered but AP players felt about this price

bigslips
    bigslips
    Participant
    • Total Posts 37

shalaa out of race :negative:

darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5481

WASHINGTON DC 16/1

Put him up at 8/1 than ran shocker at Ascot drift out to 16/1 after race at Ascot. but i forgive him that run ground not fast for him and not settle early in race.Bounce back at weekend which saw back into single figure price.When you look at this race so much early pace GIFTED MASTER,LOG OUT ISLAND,ACAPAUCO LUMIERIE may run add outsiders as well. be run at such a strong pace it suit those horses held up think he likely winner.

Nathan Hughes
    Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 20804

I cant have Gifted Master for this after yesterday. The course will suit better but likely quick going will see more than one scoot past him.
    If I were Hugo I would run him in the Jersey.

yeats
    yeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2889

I cant have Gifted Master for this after yesterday. The course will suit better but likely quick going will see more than one scoot past him.
    If I were Hugo I would run him in the Jersey.

A no brainer, the Jersey is worth peanuts 42 grand compared to 230 grand for the Commonwealth. You only get one opportunity to run against your own age group in a G1 over 6fs and he’s got c/d form. As a gelding there will be plenty of opportunity in future to up in distance and/or lower in class.

LostSoldier3
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 1894

He’s not going to win or place in the Commonwealth Cup though, is he Yeats? I am a huge fan of Gifted Master (had him in my 4PP team yesterday!) but that C&D form is working out terribly. He’d be run off his feet in the CC.

Winning the Jersey isn’t worth much financially, but the prestige of a Royal Ascot win has its own value. As you say, he is a gelding with a brilliant constitution, so there should be many more chances to go for the mega bucks.

Jersey all the way IMO.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.